6P coming tomorrow -anything I must know?

Cold_Funky

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
I am not new to Android, bit I am new to these forums. Other than a 12 day fling with an iPhone 6, I've had Android since the first Galaxy S came out. However, this will be my first Android without carrier bloatware and brand specific UI. I've been on an LG G2 for close to 2 years now and love this phone but I wanted to upgrade while this was still a viable backup (IOW - before I break it... Has been acting weird today, funny enough. Randomly starting haptic feedback and the space bar is iffy.)

I hope I can love the camera as that Is one thing I want a device to handle well.

All this yammering to ask: is there going to be a big learning curve or is it pretty intuitive?? Anything I should change, install or tweak out of the box?? I am not a power user. Camera, web-browsing, Maps to navigate, Chromecast workouts via YouTube (FitnessBlenders is awesome), text, Insta, and IMDB checking every person who looks vaguely familiar in anything we watch.

Posted via the Android Central App

Hawgee

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to a fun place of knowledge. The Nexus 6P is an awesome device. I've stayed with pure Marshmallow and have enjoyed as is and will be slow to add or change. As with all, there is a learning curve. It's been good for this guy of many thumbs. A wealth of folks who will add to your experience right here in these forums. Have fun.

Trader05

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
With the camera, take full advantage of double pressing the power button to launch the camera. So much easier than unlocking!

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Another important thing to do is enabling developer mode, in order to enable sRGB color mode. Colors will be much more natural than the default setting.

Cold_Funky

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, all!

I'm all for camera shortcuts and I definitely want the more natural colors. Not sure how I feel about going back to AMOLED after the LG. I like the IPS display on it so much. It seems to be well liked so I'm sure I'll survive, just nitpicking while I wait.

My 6P is somewhere on a UPS truck. I always seem to be at the end of everyone's routes. First world problem, I suppose.

PeltFrelken

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a power user, but I like using a launcher. It's one of the things I really like about Android, being able to customize the look & feel of the desktop and icons. That, and SwiftKey.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Most importantly.... You need to know that.... This will be the best phone thy St you've ever, ever used....

Welcome to the dark side!

Posted via my Nokia 8210 from the inside of a Kitten.

Cold_Funky

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Just posted my issues so far. Maybe I am just not doing some things right...
I've been on it so much that it has gone from 100% to 78% battery in less than 2 hours. LoL

DJ Sandman

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the Nexus fam and though I'm a "Simpleton" when it comes to smartphones. I can pass along a few tips. Check the phone over for imperfections like the colors being off, display coating unevenness, etc.

I use GSM Battery Monitor for the percentage and battery stats and I get around 5 hours SOT. I also keep the sRGB off under Developer Oprions and use a very low brightness setting with no Adaptive Brightness. I keep Sleep on 2 minutes and don't use the Ambient display.

And if you want a case, I have the Google carbon case and it's good. There are better and cheaper options on Amazon like the Spigen Rugged case. Again - welcome to the Nexus fam and enjoy your new 6p!

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Just ordered a bumper case, since I like minimal cases. I don't do weird stuff with my phone, seldom drop it, so I don't need a lot of protection. The bumper case is made by EvolutionLabs, called the "RhinoShield CrashGuard Bumper". While I don't work for them, I had one on an iPhone 6 for about 1.5 years, and it was all I needed. Nice feel, has the built-in buttons so you don't have to try to press the actual phone buttons through holes, etc. One of the things I like about bumper cases is that they keep the front and back of the phone off of the surface that they're set on. Not expensive, and light weight as well. Not the right case for scuba diving or mountain climbing, though *smile*, but great for casual use.

Just got my phone, too, on Monday (today is early Wednesday morning), SIM for Google Fi comes later today, so been having fun setting the phone up. Looking forward to saying goodbye to Verizon *smile*.

Cold_Funky

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
I've been looking at cases and like the idea of the bumper. I think that was one of the front runners for me. Thanks for the input. :)
I would love to ditch AT&T... Mayne someday.

theonecid

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I am not new to Android, bit I am new to these forums. Other than a 12 day fling with an iPhone 6, I've had Android since the first Galaxy S came out. However, this will be my first Android without carrier bloatware and brand specific UI. I've been on an LG G2 for close to 2 years now and love this phone but I wanted to upgrade while this was still a viable backup (IOW - before I break it... Has been acting weird today, funny enough. Randomly starting haptic feedback and the space bar is iffy.)

I hope I can love the camera as that Is one thing I want a device to handle well.

All this yammering to ask: is there going to be a big learning curve or is it pretty intuitive?? Anything I should change, install or tweak out of the box?? I am not a power user. Camera, web-browsing, Maps to navigate, Chromecast workouts via YouTube (FitnessBlenders is awesome), text, Insta, and IMDB checking every person who looks vaguely familiar in anything we watch.

I'm just wondering... What do you mean by the spacebar is iffy lol? Isn't it part of the touchscreen?
Also, get the PRIV keyboard on your 6P. I have it on my Note 5 and it's flawless.
http://homepage.bluewin.ch/simonsmith/files/blackberry/com.blackberry.keyboard-1.1.1.4474-cobalt.apk

Cold_Funky

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Hah... I just meant that it was acting strange. You'd think the entire keyboard would have issues but it seems to just be the space-bar on the G2 that was having trouble. I removed some apps and rebooted and it seemed better.

theonecid

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hah... I just meant that it was acting strange. You'd think the entire keyboard would have issues but it seems to just be the space-bar on the G2 that was having trouble. I removed some apps and rebooted and it seemed better.

Almost sounds like it would be an issue caused by a screen protector you had on or something

Cold_Funky

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Nope, never had one on there. Maybe it was an issue with my big fingers and being so excited for a new phone? I just know that it kept not spacing or double-spacing and adding the period and a capital letter and I had to keep backspacing and fixing all of my texts.
Now on the 6P my only issue is that the keys are so big (because they can be) and I have to get used to reaching so far to hit the comma. I will get used to this, though. Oh, and I keep knocking the screen to try and turn it on/off. Otherwise, liking it so far.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully you didn't update to 6.0.1, if not GOOD as you will avoid the hit or miss LTE signal issue that 6.0.1 brought with it