Does the 6P Support Hi-Res Audio via Headphone Jack?

jprez1980

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Hey All -

I love music and have some fairly pricey headphones (Sennheiser IE 80s) and typically listen to FLAC files or stream Tidal - I am curious if the DAC in the Nexus 6P is on par with the iPhone or if it exceeds it. I haven't had a chance to get my audio files moved to the new phone yet.

On the iPhone, to get the truly best sound you had to use the lightning connector - but the DAC was pretty well liked in the audio community. Any similar conversations or news in that regard to the Nexus 6P line?

Thanks

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
The output from the jack on the 6P is pretty dismal, but on the upside, the preamp settings from apps like Poweramp will increase the volume level for flac files to a decent level. I'm running UE triple fi's and UE 900's and I've got no issues with my own music running them with the Poweramp app, but streaming audio from the web might leave you wanting with the 6P. The iPhone has always been pretty good at driving headphones within reason or most IEM's, especially in comparison to the 6P, but my opinion on the audio quality coming out of the iPhone was always clear, but lifeless. The quality of the sound coming out of the 6P is decent, there just isn't enough of it without preamping it. IMHO, your flac files will sound best with an app like poweramp. As for tidal, the IE80's should be sensitive enough to get passable volume, but if it's a competition between the 6P and iPhone on sound quality, keep your expectations in check.

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm running my 6P with a Schiit Audio Magni 2 Uber connected to a pair of Master & Dynamic MH40 headphones and it sounds great! There is a definite difference between hi-res audio files (I use FLAC files) and something from Google Play or Amazon, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. I have an Schiit Audio DAC on the way, so needless to say I'm curious how it all sounds when bypassing the 6P's DAC. But for casual listening at my desk, I'm very happy.

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Tried my old Fiio portable amp with my Shure SE215s and it makes such a noticeable difference. Might have to buy a less broken one off Amazon now!