04-07-2016 10:23 PM
109 ... 2345
tools
    Have you guys noticed with the update that the ambient display when you pick up the phone is a lot better now? I've noticed that when I have messages, and I pick up my phone the ambient display lights up much faster now and seems to be a lot more consistent. Has anyone else noticed this?

Posted via the Android Central App
    It definitely seems more responsive to me.
    03-19-2016 10:31 AM
    Have you guys noticed with the update that the ambient display when you pick up the phone is a lot better now?
    Yep, noticed it right away. I suspect they tweaked the threshold... If you really jerked it, AD would fire, but it took a good snap. Now it's a lot more sensitive.
    03-19-2016 09:40 PM
    Agree LeoRex. A really nice tweaking. Not quite like the 1st gen Moto X but a "good snap"

After 2 cold reboots for testing, now I have the LTE indicatior back. I don't have to go into Airplane Mode to enable VZW LTE from 3G by turning it ON then OFF. Enjoying this update...so far.
    03-20-2016 09:28 AM
    My phone was acting weird after the update but can't put my finger on why. Did a factory reset and she flies now.

Battery life seems a little worse, but maybe it needs to settle after a FR. I've also been using it pretty heavy though.
    03-20-2016 09:30 AM
    One thing I've noticed since the March update is that the signal strength of the LTE towers is greater. In particular, the TMO band 12 tower.
    03-20-2016 07:55 PM
    Agree LeoRex. A really nice tweaking. Not quite like the 1st gen Moto X but a "good snap"
    Well, near as I can tell, there are several movement 'thresholds' that are in place here (remember that Google has the new Sensor Hub thing). things like the 'significant motion' that they use to break out of Doze, for instance. I suspect that the setting for "picking it up to check the time" was too strict and they loosened it up a bit.
    03-20-2016 09:57 PM
    I just received the nexus 6p via FedEx. It only updated to the January security patch. How can I get the latest security patch?

03-22-2016 11:16 AM
    1) Wait for OTAs to get pushed to your phone. You'll get the Fed update then the March update

2) Learn how to flash system updates manually. You can either download the OTAs and sideload them, or you can snag the latest factory image and load that (you can load a factory image and not wipe your data, it's actually easy to do).
    jbergsing likes this.
    03-22-2016 11:29 AM
    1) Wait for OTAs to get pushed to your phone. You'll get the Fed update then the March update

2) Learn how to flash system updates manually. You can either download the OTAs and sideload them, or you can snag the latest factory image and load that (you can load a factory image and not wipe your data, it's actually easy to do).
    Option 2 requires rooting the phone? Also how long you think until notified of Feb and March updates? Got the Jan so far.

03-22-2016 12:34 PM
    You don't need to be rooted but your bootloader must be unlocked.
    03-22-2016 12:45 PM
    Option 2 requires rooting the phone? Also how long you think until notified of Feb and March updates? Got the Jan so far.
    Nope, you just need to unlock the phone. And while that wipes your device, you can do an external backup prior to unlocking, then reload all the data back afterwards. And when you are done, you can always re-lock the bootloader. Sounds complicated, but once you have it all set up, it's actually really easy to do.

When will you get the Feb and Mar OTAs? Soon I would think... they might stagger them a bit so you don't get them shotgunned one after the other.
    03-22-2016 01:38 PM
    Nope, you just need to unlock the phone. And while that wipes your device, you can do an external backup prior to unlocking, then reload all the data back afterwards. And when you are done, you can always re-lock the bootloader. Sounds complicated, but once you have it all set up, it's actually really easy to do.

When will you get the Feb and Mar OTAs? Soon I would think... they might stagger them a bit so you don't get them shotgunned one after the other.
    Lol sounds like too much for me. I'll wait for the OTA

03-22-2016 06:58 PM
    I gave up waiting and doing the OTA sideload now.

For folks who want to sideload, you do not need to unlock the bootloader.

You can boot into recovery and just use the command adb sideload filename.tgz

I found this link to be the best site to list all the OTA update packages for Nexus devices.

Hope this helps.
    AudiMalc and jbergsing like this.
    03-22-2016 07:58 PM
    As soon as sideloaded Feb update and rebooted, I got notification for March update!

03-22-2016 08:10 PM
    I gave up waiting and doing the OTA sideload now.

For folks who want to sideload, you do not need to unlock the bootloader.

You can boot into recovery and just use the command adb sideload filename.tgz

I found this link to be the best site to list all the OTA update packages for Nexus devices.

Hope this helps.
    use the .tgz file extension or the .zip extension like the tutorial says? I get all the way to the last step just fine but once i try to flash the OTA it just says cannot read filename.zip no matter what i do. what should i do?
    03-23-2016 06:24 AM
    As soon as sideloaded Feb update and rebooted, I got notification for March update!

NICE!

yeah... in the interest of making things clean, those updates are sequential... Good that you could nudge things along, and even better now that you can take care of matters yourself.
    03-23-2016 10:01 AM
    The post I linked has .zip files. The .zip files are the actual OTA bits.

I believe .tgz will be the entire image with the update which requires you unlock the bootloader.
    03-23-2016 04:34 PM
    This is all Chinese to me. Is there a video for dummies that I can watch? Lol

03-24-2016 07:28 AM
    This update has really screwed up my phone. The finger print scanner doesn't always work, the phone now calls people when it's in my pocket and some of the apps are going crazy. Damn Google

TiTiHYC likes this.
    03-24-2016 10:03 AM
    This update has really screwed up my phone. The finger print scanner doesn't always work, the phone now calls people when it's in my pocket and some of the apps are going crazy. Damn Google

Did you do a manual/sideload update?

03-24-2016 12:13 PM
    Did you do a manual/sideload update?
    This link explains how to do two things; manually flash a full factory image and sideload an OTA update zip.

How to manually update your Nexus | Android Central

You really don't need the Android SDK installed (it's huge). You can cheat by finding a 'portable' version of adb and fastboot such as this one on XDA).

Once you have ADB and fastboot installed, it's just a matter of snagging the OTA zip file somewhere, booting into the bootloader and running one command from your computer (no unlocking/wiping/etc). And you also have the setup you need to pretty much do anything you want with the phone.
    03-24-2016 02:12 PM
    Well after opting in/out of Android Beta Program, I was prompted to download the latest OS with March security patch. Smh. At least it's another way to get it.

03-25-2016 06:50 AM
    No. I received the update via my phone notification.

03-25-2016 09:07 AM
    Is there a typical length of time before all nexus devices get updates? I am still on January 1 security patch and when a lot of carriers are updating to March before my nexus seems a little backwards to me as one of the reasons for having a nexus is prompt updates.

I know I can sideload, but just wondering about typical time tables...
    03-27-2016 12:31 PM
    A nexus device will get a security update usually always before the end of the month. I get mine usually on the 12th, but before a new security patch for next month happens, you will get the current one

03-27-2016 02:47 PM
109 ... 2345