Nexus 6P - March Security Update (Everything You Need To Know)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Agree LeoRex. A really nice tweaking. Not quite like the 1st gen Moto X but a "good snap" :)

Well, near as I can tell, there are several movement 'thresholds' that are in place here (remember that Google has the new Sensor Hub thing). things like the 'significant motion' that they use to break out of Doze, for instance. I suspect that the setting for "picking it up to check the time" was too strict and they loosened it up a bit.

YahyaRivero

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I just received the nexus 6p via FedEx. It only updated to the January security patch. How can I get the latest security patch?

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
1) Wait for OTAs to get pushed to your phone. You'll get the Fed update then the March update

2) Learn how to flash system updates manually. You can either download the OTAs and sideload them, or you can snag the latest factory image and load that (you can load a factory image and not wipe your data, it's actually easy to do).

YahyaRivero

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
1) Wait for OTAs to get pushed to your phone. You'll get the Fed update then the March update

2) Learn how to flash system updates manually. You can either download the OTAs and sideload them, or you can snag the latest factory image and load that (you can load a factory image and not wipe your data, it's actually easy to do).

Option 2 requires rooting the phone? Also how long you think until notified of Feb and March updates? Got the Jan so far.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Option 2 requires rooting the phone? Also how long you think until notified of Feb and March updates? Got the Jan so far.

Nope, you just need to unlock the phone. And while that wipes your device, you can do an external backup prior to unlocking, then reload all the data back afterwards. And when you are done, you can always re-lock the bootloader. Sounds complicated, but once you have it all set up, it's actually really easy to do.

When will you get the Feb and Mar OTAs? Soon I would think... they might stagger them a bit so you don't get them shotgunned one after the other.

YahyaRivero

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Nope, you just need to unlock the phone. And while that wipes your device, you can do an external backup prior to unlocking, then reload all the data back afterwards. And when you are done, you can always re-lock the bootloader. Sounds complicated, but once you have it all set up, it's actually really easy to do.

When will you get the Feb and Mar OTAs? Soon I would think... they might stagger them a bit so you don't get them shotgunned one after the other.

Lol sounds like too much for me. I'll wait for the OTA

08BlackWRX

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I gave up waiting and doing the OTA sideload now.

For folks who want to sideload, you do not need to unlock the bootloader.

You can boot into recovery and just use the command adb sideload filename.tgz

I found this link to be the best site to list all the OTA update packages for Nexus devices.

Hope this helps.

use the .tgz file extension or the .zip extension like the tutorial says? I get all the way to the last step just fine but once i try to flash the OTA it just says cannot read filename.zip no matter what i do. what should i do?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
As soon as sideloaded Feb update and rebooted, I got notification for March update!

NICE!

yeah... in the interest of making things clean, those updates are sequential... Good that you could nudge things along, and even better now that you can take care of matters yourself.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
The post I linked has .zip files. The .zip files are the actual OTA bits.

I believe .tgz will be the entire image with the update which requires you unlock the bootloader.

cridleyjr

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
This update has really screwed up my phone. The finger print scanner doesn't always work, the phone now calls people when it's in my pocket and some of the apps are going crazy. Damn Google

YahyaRivero

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
This update has really screwed up my phone. The finger print scanner doesn't always work, the phone now calls people when it's in my pocket and some of the apps are going crazy. Damn Google

Did you do a manual/sideload update?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Did you do a manual/sideload update?

This link explains how to do two things; manually flash a full factory image and sideload an OTA update zip.

How to manually update your Nexus | Android Central

You really don't need the Android SDK installed (it's huge). You can cheat by finding a 'portable' version of adb and fastboot such as this one on XDA).

Once you have ADB and fastboot installed, it's just a matter of snagging the OTA zip file somewhere, booting into the bootloader and running one command from your computer (no unlocking/wiping/etc). And you also have the setup you need to pretty much do anything you want with the phone.

YahyaRivero

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Well after opting in/out of Android Beta Program, I was prompted to download the latest OS with March security patch. Smh. At least it's another way to get it.

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Is there a typical length of time before all nexus devices get updates? I am still on January 1 security patch and when a lot of carriers are updating to March before my nexus seems a little backwards to me as one of the reasons for having a nexus is prompt updates.

I know I can sideload, but just wondering about typical time tables...

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
A nexus device will get a security update usually always before the end of the month. I get mine usually on the 12th, but before a new security patch for next month happens, you will get the current one

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary