Nexus 6P and 2011 BMW 5 series

ChristianTW1

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I am considering purchasing a Nexus 6P, but I was wondering about compatibility with the 2011 5 series iDrive system.

2 questions:
Can I listen to the music from Google Music and choose the song using iDrive?
Will the phone successfully import contact/make calls over Bluetooth?

I had issues with an LG G3 which is older than the Nexus 6P, so I am a bit skeptical.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Good luck getting your answer ( I don't know ) Have you tried the BMW forums? Great information there with very helpful members.

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I had a LG G2 and a 2013 with the same era iDrive.

For music streaming, it did stream from apps (I remember using Spotify and Pandora and both worked through BT) . You may be able to use the forward / back on dash to move to next / previous track but you won't see Playlist in iDrive.

Phone contacts will load to car phone book.

Two things to consider:

Try holding down the voice command button on steering wheel to see if it brings up OK Google (make sure your ok Google is configured and set to be available from any screen and over BT) . In my current BMW (with newer NBT iDrive) I hold down voice command and do all phone functions through ok Google. Far better than BMW voice for controlling phone functions.

Also, visit www.bmw.com/update. Input your Vin and see if an iDrive update is available for your car. These updates are for the BT section only and may fix issues.

Posted via the Android Central App

ChristianTW1

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Good luck getting your answer ( I don't know ) Have you tried the BMW forums? Great information there with very helpful members.

I haven't tried forums yet. I have tried asking on the BMW subreddit though.

I had a LG G2 and a 2013 with the same era iDrive.

For music streaming, it did stream from apps (I remember using Spotify and Pandora and both worked through BT) . You may be able to use the forward / back on dash to move to next / previous track but you won't see Playlist in iDrive.

Phone contacts will load to car phone book.

Two things to consider:

Try holding down the voice command button on steering wheel to see if it brings up OK Google (make sure your ok Google is configured and set to be available from any screen and over BT) . In my current BMW (with newer NBT iDrive) I hold down voice command and do all phone functions through ok Google. Far better than BMW voice for controlling phone functions.

Also, visit [link removed]. Input your Vin and see if an iDrive update is available for your car. These updates are for the BT section only and may fix issues.

Posted via the Android Central App

Alright, thank you for the information. I went ahead and ordered the phone so I will try what you suggested and report back for anyone that may be looking for information in the future. I really only need the phone features to work over Bluetooth. It would have been ideal if I could have used the full media system, playlists included just so I can have everything in one device. However, I have an iPad Pro I can use as backup that fits nicely on the middle armrest storage thing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1