Getting wrong automatic time zone in Arizona on T-Mobile due to daylight savings time

Pointful

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
With daylight savings time starting in the rest of the US today, the time on my phone is now incorrect. We do not observe daylight savings time in Arizona -- we are on "Mountain Standard Time" all year, and do not switch to "Mountain Daylight Time".

I am on a Nexus 6P running Android 6.0.1. With "Automatic time zone" enabled, my phone is going to "Mountain Daylight Time", which is incorrect -- I am in the Phoenix area, so smack in the middle of Arizona, where it should be "Mountain Standard Time" all year.

I can of course set the time zone manually, but I travel a lot and it is a hassle to have to change this manually each time.

Seems like this is a T-Mobile issue where the network is sending out the wrong time zone information? So far, T-Mobile doesn't see any problem and since the phone is not from them, they think it is a phone issue.

Anyone else seeing this issue today? Or have a fix? Or is this just T-Mobile having their network misconfigured in Arizona?

jim1405

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Same thing on Verizon. I just set it manually for the time being.

I have another phone on Cricket running cyanogen mod and it displays the correct time when set to auto.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Phoenix and on AT&T. My phone remained on the correct time this morning.

I remember I had an issue with Verizon on another Android phone, not Nexus. I had the problem for months until it just fixed itself. I just turned off the automatic time system and manually set the time but it was so annoying not having carrier accurate time. And I hate how carriers just blow you off because you don't have one of their expensive phones.

Daylight savings is literally a waste of time. I saw that last night, California is considering dumping it. Maybe the rest of the country will catch on.

jim1405

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Mine was still showing the wrong time with Auto Timezone on this afternoon so I restarted it and that fixed the problem. Thanks for the tip wrich2005.

Pointful

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Well, it resolved itself a few hours later. I never rebooted, however I did leave home briefly so would have switched towers. Now it will even fix itself properly if I go in and manually pick a different timezone and then turn "Automatic time zone" back on.

Given that I didn't change anything, I suspect they had at least a tower or two that were pushing the wrong time zone in this area, and that they fixed it at some point.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Well, it resolved itself a few hours later. I never rebooted, however I did leave home briefly so would have switched towers. Now it will even fix itself properly if I go in and manually pick a different timezone and then turn "Automatic time zone" back on.

Given that I didn't change anything, I suspect they had at least a tower or two that were pushing the wrong time zone in this area, and that they fixed it at some point.

Not living there and only occasionally visiting I never saw that issue... but it was my understanding if you had it on auto then the time came from the tower. It does not surprise me that their helpdesk is given specific verbiage to say to customers on most situations. I'm sure it escalates after a certain number of the same complains come in and then they send out techs to check out those areas and found there was an issue... probably some software patch was sent to the towers and it was magically fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech