Nexus 6P Reception?

ryanschaeffer#AC

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the Nexus 5X, and I really like it. I was hesitant about the reception but have found that it is actually has pretty good signal for the most part. I am thinking of switching to the 6P for the bigger screen, more RAM, and bigger battery. Does the 6P have good reception? Any issues with dropped calls? LTE issues? Is it worth the switch?

Thanks,
Ryan

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Reception is amazing. No problems and it has zero lag, i have a note 5 and it doesnt lag at all. The note lags a tiny bit. If money isn't an option, definitely switch. You will like the 6P better. You cannot grt it to lag and i always have LTE and never drop calls

Posted via the Android Central App

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I have had 6p since launch and got 5x a week ago. Love the smaller profile of the 5x so I'm keeping both ;)

terminator y2k

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Best Buy has some good deals too. I just ordered a 6P

*6P 64gb Graphite Shipping*
*AT&T iPad Air 2 64gb Space Gray*
*Retiring Soon AT&T LG Optimus G Pro*

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I do not live in a rural area ;however, I do transition from urban to semi-rural areas. What I notice, with a range of carriers, is that the handset holds on to the LTE connection but service degrades. Whereas I might get 12Mbps LTE (Band 4/Band 12) in the urban area, the connection speed drops off and can fall below 1Mbps as I move into semi-rural zones [while still showing a 4G connection].

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Does the 6P have good reception?

The 6P has the best radio performance of any of the phones I've used, by a wide margin. It holds a stronger signal, using less power, even when the signal is very weak. I was really pleasantly surprised at how well it functioned.

I'm especially impressed since it's metal bodied, hence the visor and plastic panel on the bottom serving as windows for the signals. Usually a phone that has a design element that is to work around a problem comes with compromises... This has none when it comes to that.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Do any of you live in a rural area?

I live in very rural area. That's why we always stuck with Verizon or AT&T. I've noticed that in one location where we never had service with either vzw or att that the 6p is picking up service on Sprint (using Project Fi). YMMV! But the radio in the 6p has been excellent so far.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Ha, I JUST posted my own thread asking about the 6P's reception. I can say that it's good enough but not stellar. Compared to my 2nd phone (a Droid Turbo 2) it gets around -10dBm worse signal strength at my house, and from my personal observation it's on average a bit worse everywhere I go. It's not a big deal since I usually have at least half of my bars in the places I spend the most time at, so I don't have problems using LTE or dropping calls. It's just worse enough though that I'll be a bit worried if I go to the mountains or any sparsely populated area. I'm on Verizon.

Looks like everybody else here has no problems though. I don't know if it's because I'm spoiled by the T2, which is made by Motorola who are known for good radios, or if it's because of where I live, but I haven't been overly impressed with the radio on the 6P.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm spoiled by the T2, which is made by Motorola who are known for good radios, or if it's because of where I live, but I haven't been overly impressed with the radio on the 6P.

By the way.... Motorola doesn't make radios anymore... The DT2's LTE radio is Qualcomm and the WiFi is Broadband. Motorola is responsible for designing the antenna array (which isn't trivial by any means), but the hardware isn't theirs. I'm on T-Mobile, and the 6P does a lot better job than my Moto Nexus 6 did.

mikefour77

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Same here... No issues with reception, using Fi in MA. Only small complaint I have is that when using google maps, the GPS sometimes will have to "catch up" to my actual location on the map. Not sure if this is a reception issue or an issue with the app, but that is the only thing I've noticed.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I had the 5X briefly and loved it. The 6P is definitely better for what I want, especially with the larger screen with much better accuracy. No reception issues at all, and it is better reception than my Nexus 6, which was always good but this is better.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Also have the Nexus 6P, and kept my Samsung Galaxy S3 as well. Wifi and cellular are both stronger on the 6P than the S3. I've used an iPhone 4 and 6, the Samsung S3, and the 6P, and of the group the 6P has the best cellular and wifi reception. Project Fi is great, by the way *smile*. You can get a preview of Android N (beta) on your 6P, and that's kind of fun, too. A glimpse into the future *smile*.

ryanschaeffer#AC

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, I got my 6P and I love it. The reception IS great, and I really like the bigger screen. Thanks everyone for your comments.