Camera Orientation

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys

When I google this I only seem to get hits from 2011 so I'll ask here.

I love the 6P and there's a few things that have kept me from actually keeping the 3 yes 3 that I purchased and selling my iPhone 6S+ one of them being camera orientation.

So when I have rotation lock on my iPhone I can still take a pic in landscape but what I noticed on the 6P if I take auto rotation off and say use the camera by double tapping the power button and hold the phone in landscape none of the controls rotate and the picture is taken in portrait. Is there a setting that I'm missing or a way to circumvent this or is it just the way Android works now? I haven't used Android as my daily driver since 2012 so there's obviously some things I may not be up to snuff on.

Any help would be awesome! TIA!

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys

When I google this I only seem to get hits from 2011 so I'll ask here.

I love the 6P and there's a few things that have kept me from actually keeping the 3 yes 3 that I purchased and selling my iPhone 6S+ one of them being camera orientation.

So when I have rotation lock on my iPhone I can still take a pic in landscape but what I noticed on the 6P if I take auto rotation off and say use the camera by double tapping the power button and hold the phone in landscape none of the controls rotate and the picture is taken in portrait. Is there a setting that I'm missing or a way to circumvent this or is it just the way Android works now? I haven't used Android as my daily driver since 2012 so there's obviously some things I may not be up to snuff on.

Any help would be awesome! TIA!

If the phone isn't in auto rotate mode, you have locked it in portrait mode, so obviously the camera controls would not flip when you hold it sideways/landscape style. Your either going to have to leave it on auto, or flip back and forth from portrait mode.

Posted via the Android Central App

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Does seem kinda silly. They should make the camera override the rotate mode to auto. I've never locked my rotation, I assume there are apps that do this, like there are apps that only work in landscape or only in portrait.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
If the phone isn't in auto rotate mode, you have locked it in portrait mode, so obviously the camera controls would not flip when you hold it sideways/landscape style. Your either going to have to leave it on auto, or flip back and forth from portrait mode.

That is stupid! I'm sorry but with as 'advanced' as Android is and they don't allow the camera to rotate when locked in portrait.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
That is stupid! I'm sorry but with as 'advanced' as Android is and they don't allow the camera to rotate when locked in portrait.

How is that stupid? If you lock the phone into portrait mode, your telling it to not go into landscape mode. So it is doing what it is designed to do. Just use auto and your fine. That's like locking your car and getting mad at it for not unlocking because the windows are down.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
How is that stupid? If you lock the phone into portrait mode, your telling it to not go into landscape mode. So it is doing what it is designed to do. Just use auto and your fine. That's like locking your car and getting mad at it for not unlocking because the windows are down.

Because something like the camera app should have an override for that if iOS can do it than why not Android?

116a485933e8bbe6f22a7fc9d2067d40.jpg

Phone is locked in portrait.

fa8eb7b212c75f63df57e87f138205c1.jpg

Moved to landscape while phone is locked and the controls shifted.

1033b8de5675f6e4184bd876ecea33bb.jpg

Moved back to portrait.

I'm sorry if stupid 'iOS' can do this so should Android.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
The default orientation for the camera is portrait mode. You locked your phone into portrait mode, and your mad because it won't rotate to landscape mode because you told it to not do that?? I'm thinking this is more user error. Just use auto and your fine. If the default orientation of the camera was landscape it would go to that function regardless of how the orientation was locked. That's great that iOS does that, there are things iOS does that Android does, and vice versa. There is a simple solution to this issue, however if you don't want to use it, that's on you.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The default orientation for the camera is portrait mode. You locked your phone into portrait mode, and your mad because it won't rotate to landscape mode because you told it to not do that?? I'm thinking this is more user error. Just use auto and your fine. If the default orientation of the camera was landscape it would go to that function regardless of how the orientation was locked. That's great that iOS does that, there are things iOS does that Android does, and vice versa. There is a simple solution to this issue, however if you don't want to use it, that's on you.

Not sure I'd consider that solution. You have to compromise one way or the other. Maybe he has a good reason for wanting the rotation locked to portrait, we all use our phones differently. It really wouldn't be that hard for the option to be built into the camera app directly, seems like an oversight to me. Do other Android phones or camera apps do this, too?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Even though the controls aren't rotated, the picture is stored in landscape. To be honest, having the controls on the left like that isn't that big a deal, you can toggle them with your left hand easily enough.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Even though the controls aren't rotated, the picture is stored in landscape. To be honest, having the controls on the left like that isn't that big a deal, you can toggle them with your left hand easily enough.

That's weird then cause when I took pictures on the 6P in landscape when I had it they were portrait when I would open up the preview or in G Photos.

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
The Nexus 6P is better than the iPhone in almost every single way. Stock Android is amazing. Better specs, lighter weight, bigger battery. What more could you want? If something like this stops you from getting this great phone, I don't know what to tell you. I mean, if you have it locked, you'd expect it to stay like that. I'd say this is a defect with iOS rather than Android. I promise you, if you can provide me with a valid argument as to why you should stay with your iPhone, I will not object. But really, there is no reason not to switch. (Plus, it costs $300 less.)

yenyob

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
It could just be the camera app. The stock Google camera locks, but when I use ProShot it actually rotates even when I have rotation locked. I say try two or 3 different camera apps and see for yourself. But I do agree with the majority here, if you tell the phone you want rotation locked, it's doing its job by staying locked. I guess it's up to the app to do the changes and overriding it.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's weird then cause when I took pictures on the 6P in landscape when I had it they were portrait when I would open up the preview or in G Photos.

Dunno... the pics I took were properly oriented... So it was at least burying the right orientation in the file when mine were being saved. But odd things happens to these things sometimes. Just about every phone I've had or used for a time gets things crossed up from time to time when it comes to orientation.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
So update. I went to Best Buy and played with a Moto X and when I had auto rotate off and used the camera the controls did rotate when moved to landscape so I don't know what was up with the 6P that I had.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I use a simple tasker script to turn on auto rotate in the apps where I want it to be on so I don't have to toggle it myself. I included the camera app in that list and it's working great for me.

Posted via my Nexus 6P on VerLIEzon Wireless but without their shackles.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I use a simple tasker script to turn on auto rotate in the apps where I want it to be on so I don't have to toggle it myself. I included the camera app in that list and it's working great for me.

That's actually a great idea... and it'll give me a reason to fire it up again.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
So update. I went to Best Buy and played with a Moto X and when I had auto rotate off and used the camera the controls did rotate when moved to landscape so I don't know what was up with the 6P that I had.

I think you should probably just get one again. That way I won't feel as bad when I pick another one up!