04-04-2016 06:14 PM
40 12
tools
    I'm fresh out of contract with Verizon. Should I get the 6p now or wait for the new Nexus that will be out later this year?
    I currently have a Note 3. I could also wait for the new Note to come out.
    What do you think?

Posted via from my Samsung Rose Gold Galaxy Note 3
    03-29-2016 05:49 PM
    I'd go with the 6P. Devil you know, right?
    03-29-2016 06:22 PM
    Depends. New note means touchwiz. Notes camera is a bit better, not by much, but it has touchwiz, notes battery life is also a bit better, guessing because my S7E has better battery life than my 6P. But i love my 6P. More than my S7 because of touch wiz

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-29-2016 06:31 PM
    If you need an excellent phone and not have to put up tons of money, 6P is a winner. Yet again, if you don't mind waiting, you can sit tight and see how the next Nexus shapes up. ****, never mind, that's 6 months from now lol
    03-29-2016 08:09 PM
    I'm fresh out of contract with Verizon. Should I get the 6p now or wait for the new Nexus that will be out later this year?
    I currently have a Note 3. I could also wait for the new Note to come out.
    What do you think?

Wait for the next note or nexus. The nexus 6p is already outdated at this point imo.

03-29-2016 09:31 PM
    I purchased the 6P Saturday during the $50 off promo. It will be here tomorrow!! Even though it is nearly six months old, I think it is a great phone for the price.

I am a big fan of buying phones outright and avoiding contracts. If you waited and got the new Note, would you do a contract or their financing plan? If so, that could be a reason to buy the Nexus outright!
    libra89 likes this.
    03-29-2016 10:12 PM
    Pick up a 6P now. No point in waiting. You going to have to wait until November and with the Nexus 6 still getting support, it will be at least a year and a half before we stop seeing official Google support. And even then, Nexus community is huge so there will be ROMs for a while. I can't remember but I think Google said they will update devices for 24 months after release but I'm not 100% positive.

If you keep waiting, your going to keep thinking "what-if". Get it now, be happy, sell when the new one comes out.
    03-30-2016 12:20 AM
    If you can't wait, the 6P is an awesome phone to get for the price. Obviously, this section of the forum will be biased towards the Nexus, but it really has to do with your needs. If you need the bells and whistles (and bloatware) that come with TouchWiz, get the Note. If you want a phone that just works, with a great screen, great battery, with great sound and a fingerprint scanner that works, that's fast and fluid and the first to get updates, go with the 6P. Plus, Android N is coming with split screen multitasking, so if you use multiwindow, you're good there . You can't go wrong with the 6P, really.

dc52ltr likes this.
    03-30-2016 12:58 AM
    Buy now, I just picked up the 6P and I am coming from the N6. I had originally preordered from Huawei but the backorder fiasco caused me to cancel the order. I was going to wait until the next model but I went ahead and ordered, if the next Nexus is a must have I will just pass the phone to my wife or son.
    03-30-2016 02:04 AM
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I have made a decision. I'm going to wait for the new Nexus to come out.

Samsung has decided that the Note 3 will not receive any more upgrades. TouchWiz is not something I care to deal with again so that eliminates the Note 6. Although I will miss the S-pen feature.

I'll just have to hope Verizon will allow the new Nexus on their network in a timely manner.

03-30-2016 08:40 AM
    The problem with these questions is that there is always something better right around the corner. Also, with the Nexus lineup you don't really know what Google is going to release for their next round of Nexus devices. Could be an entirely different size again that just doesn't work for you. I imagine they will go with the 2 size approach again, but who knows?
    03-30-2016 09:12 AM
    6P. Just got mine 1 week ago. Great overall device.

*6P 64gb Graphite (AT&T)*
    *iPad Air 2 64gb Space Gray (AT&T)*
    03-30-2016 12:26 PM
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I have made a decision. I'm going to wait for the new Nexus to come out.

Samsung has decided that the Note 3 will not receive any more upgrades. TouchWiz is not something I care to deal with again so that eliminates the Note 6. Although I will miss the S-pen feature.

I'll just have to hope Verizon will allow the new Nexus on their network in a timely manner.

I'm on VZW right now using my 6P. I went to talk to support to register the Nano SIM since I was using the Micro SIM and within a few minutes the new SIM was active. Rebooted the 6P and started using it all within 10 mins after receiving it. I pre ordered it so I got it with the 2nd batch of phones being shipped out.
    03-30-2016 12:40 PM
    I ordered my 6P on day 2 and received it Nov 9 so if history is any guide you won't be able to get the 2016 Nexus for at least 6 months. Nothing is known about the 2016s Nexus(s), there are only rumors. One of the rumors is that they are going to shrink the screen to 5.5 from 5.7, I hate that idea if true, I've gotten acclimated to 5.7 and I don't want to take a step back. The processor will be upgraded, probably to the same 820 that's in the S7, that would be great but the 810 in the 6P is no slouch, I'm very happy with the performance of the 6P. There are no rumors about the camera, the one important feature missing from the 6Ps camera is optical image stabilization, the S7 has it, would be nice if they put in the the new Nexus. The one other important feature that the 6P is missing is wireless charging, the Nexus 5 had it and I miss it, the S7 has it, hope that they bring it back, I gladly go back to a plastic case to get wireless charging, I think the idea that aluminum == premium is silly. Another feature of the S7 is a slot for a FLASH card, I don't care about that at all, I have 64G in my 6P which is more than enough, if fact 32G that I had in the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexust 5 were more that enough. Bottom line although the S7s hardware is a little better it's not enough better to justify the extra $300 that it will cost you.

On the software side a Nexus is the hands down winner over a Samsung. A number of people on this forum who have both the S7 and the 6P say that Touchwiz negates all of the performance advantages of the 820. A Nexus runs a minimum of 6 months ahead of any Samsung phone, the 6P came with Marshmallow, the S6 is just getting it now. What's more the alpha for Android N has been available for the 6P for about a month, if you are feeling lucky you could install it today. Android N won't be available for the S7 until about this time next year. If you buy an S7 from Verizon you can probably tack on another few months because Verizon is very cautious about updates.
    Jarvis73 likes this.
    03-30-2016 01:52 PM
    Amazing times we live in where a device that's less than a year old is considered so antiquated that it's not worth buying anymore. Even at a discount. My 6P may be a classic but she still gets me through the day just fine. I always did like old things though.
    grover5, cbobb123, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    03-30-2016 05:31 PM
    I'm on VZW right now using my 6P. I went to talk to support to register the Nano SIM since I was using the Micro SIM and within a few minutes the new SIM was active. Rebooted the 6P and started using it all within 10 mins after receiving it. I pre ordered it so I got it with the 2nd batch of phones being shipped out.
    I was wondering if you can talk and serf the Internet on your Verizon 6p?

03-30-2016 06:41 PM
    I think we have entered an era where you can go 3 + years with a new device. I don't even want to call them smartphones because they are pocket computers. I'm still on a Nexus 6. I have no doubt the 6p will excel for many years to come.
    03-30-2016 06:46 PM
    The S7 also has a removable battery, that's great feature I doubt that the 2016 Nexus will have it.
    Although I agree with pretty much everything you said, I know for a fact the S7 doesn't have a removable battery.
    03-30-2016 06:52 PM
    Amazing times we live in where a device that's less than a year old is considered so antiquated that it's not worth buying anymore. Even at a discount. My 6P may be a classic but she still gets me through the day just fine. I always did like old things though.
    Isn't that amazing? What a spoiled generation lol
    03-30-2016 06:54 PM
    Hmmmm dilemma indeed.

Are u a fan of pure vanilla Android experience? I am all about the pure Android experience... So rumor has it htc is making next two Nexus 5.2 and 5 in screen way too small for me, and for you?? Or are you into the latest GREATEST( used very Looselytouch wiz hater can't lie) when it comes Samsung device...

I own the 6p 64 gb and love it iam pretty picky on what I spend my $$$$ on. I got it from best buy using credit card no interest till 4/8/17 ...
    The phone is amazing super premium feel , fast,consistent... I use a dbrand skin on back which I honestly regret I like the feel of the metal....

I say go for the 6p.... Because I would
    03-30-2016 06:54 PM
    wow, you went passed 2 generations Note 4 and 5? What is the hurry now.

BUT since you have to be so deprived I would:

Get the Next 6p NOW( I know we say this is the best Nexus phone every year but this time its arguably THEE best phone to come out last year not just the best Nexus Phone)

Sell it a couple months before the new one comes out(during those months use the old one) and put the money in a separate new savings account(like I did with my PS4 even changed the name to PS4)

When the new Nexus is out you get to buy that one at a discounted price(using the your savings) like you would if you were on a contract..but without the contract.
    03-30-2016 07:12 PM
    Although I agree with pretty much everything you said, I know for a fact the S7 doesn't have a removable battery.
    I read an article that said it did have a removable battery but maybe that was a pre release wishful thinking article.
    03-30-2016 07:37 PM
    I was wondering if you can talk and serf the Internet on your Verizon 6p?

Don't think so. Never needed it. I can try later.
    03-30-2016 08:15 PM
    Amazing times we live in where a device that's less than a year old is considered so antiquated that it's not worth buying anymore.
    QFT

Yeah, count me in as someone who's taken aback when I hear someone imply that the 6P is yesterday's news. It's far from that... I mean, a couple of years ago, 6 months was a huge difference, now? Not so much.

I mean, my wife has a S7 and, I've said this plenty of times, the S7 really doesn't stand out as the newer phone. It might be quicker, but the 6P is smoother. With all the killer camera features in there Samsung, the 6P's pics come out just a wee bit better.

The next Nexus or Note may be objectively better, but that gap gets shorter every year. And, as most will say, once the Note 6 is out, people will be asking 'Should I wait for the S8??'
    Poseign and libra89 like this.
    03-30-2016 08:41 PM
    The problem with these questions is that there is always something better right around the corner. Also, with the Nexus lineup you don't really know what Google is going to release for their next round of Nexus devices. Could be an entirely different size again that just doesn't work for you. I imagine they will go with the 2 size approach again, but who knows?
    But at least you can expect the previous nexus to be available at a cheaper price.
    03-30-2016 09:45 PM
40 12