Verizon Wireless painfully slow?

x1sspic

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I recently noticed slow data speeds, and have been running speedtest repeatedly. I am only getting about 1mbs down, sometimes less, even with strong signal strength. How is everyone else making out with Verizon on the 6p? I am not quite sure when this started (I have had great speeds in the not-too-long-ago past), and wonder if this was after the March security update?

update: A coworker was kind enough to let me hijack their Galaxy Note 4 (VZW) to run some speed tests on it, and the results were even worse on that phone! So, apparently the Verizon market has really saturated/tanked recently...

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What does Verizon say? Could it be due to your local tower, or does this happen anywhere you go?

x1sspic

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Verizon ran me through a few troubleshooting steps (I stopped short of a factory reset). Next suggestion was to go to a corporate store and try a new SIM (haven't done that yet).

I haven't been outside the local area to run a speed test yet, but I did have a co-worker kind enough to let me hijack their Verizon Galaxy Note 4. The results on that phone, using the same servers & side by side with my 6p, were even worse than the 6P.... So it seems the Verizon LTE market here has become over saturated ....

Posted via the Android Central App

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I've seen that, it's location dependent. I noticed it in Nashua NH, Speedtest was showing 2G speeds, but when I ran Speedtest in MA everything was fine. The LTE signal strength in the Nashua location was very strong (4 bars) so it wasn't a strength issue, I could be a Verizon network issue or it could be a problem with a particular band. The next time I see that problem I think I'll use LTE discovery to see what band it's running, I suggest everyone do the same.

To start the ball rolling, I just ran Speedtest at home, got 17.83 down,4.91 up. LTE Discovery shows: Band 4, XLTE, -109 dBm.

x1sspic

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Band 13, -83dBm.
1.12 down and 0.53up.

Attachments

• 23088.jpg
    23088.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 166

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I was in Newton yesterday and I did a Speedtest, got 33 down 6 up on Band 4. I wonder if Band 13 is the culprit. I'll be back at the bad Nashua location on Sunday, I'll give it a try there and look at the band.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I was back in Nashua this morning, made measurements in two locations about 1/3rd of a mile apart (Costco and Trader Joes). A couple of weeks ago I got a no connectivity warning at the Costco even though I had 4 bars on LTE, Speedtest showed 2G speeds. Today I was getting 3G speeds at Costco (Band 4, -86dBM), Speedtest 8.27 down 5.97 up. At the Trader Joes I was on Band 2 (-85dBm), got the no connectivity notice when I tried to use Google Maps, Speedtest was 0.39 down, 0.05 up). At home in Massachusetts (Band 4, -111dBm) I'm getting 22.84 down, 1.38 up).

To CCPS, install LTE Discovery to find the band and signal strength.

Gunnyman

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
is there a way to force the phone to a different band/tower?
I'm seeing 2 bars and am curious if there's maybe a closer tower with a stronger signal

pamelany80

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Verizon, got the phone at launch, haven't had any speed issues with Verizon or after installing any updates. Do you have advanced calling activated on your account? I do, hope this helps.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
How can you tell if advanced calling is enabled? In the My Verizon App I see that HD Voice is listed under Current Features but none of the 4G features are mentioned there, however they are all listed under Included Plan Features/Optional Features.

wwwjr

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I am experiencing the same issue. My download speed is 2Mbps or less and upload is anywhere from 0.5 to 5Mbps. It used to be around 30 down and 20 up. I am in the Seattle/Puget Sound area. I've got to say, I'm a little pissed right now.

anotherlab

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm not terribly impressed with the LTE speeds on Verizon with my 6P, but it''s not as bad as some of the reports. I'm still on the March update.

Screenshot_20160405-113639.jpg

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Cell has been spotty for me. I'm feeling like this phone is just not certified for Verizon and Verizon probably has settings behind the scenes to prioritize Verizon branded devices.

x1sspic

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Cell has been spotty for me. I'm feeling like this phone is just not certified for Verizon and Verizon probably has settings behind the scenes to prioritize Verizon branded devices.

Except my wife's Verizon iPhone 6 is getting same abysmal speed, as well as a coworker's Verizon Galaxy Note 4. Verizon's LTE speeds used to be amazing around here. My guess is that the market is getting saturated with 4G LTE devices

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance