Why do I hear no sound when I call "ok Google?"

Shaya R

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Turning "Switch Access" on fixed the no chime issue when saying "ok google" or tapping on the mic icon.

It's worth noting that on my device, the setting was found in Settings > Accessibility > Vision > Switch Access

I am running Android 6.0.1 on a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. My Google App version was just updated to 6.6.21.21.arm and the problem is still there. I do know that when I reverted Google App to 5.5.x, it fixed the problem without needing to enable Switch Access, but all of the 6.x versions have this problem on my device.

One annoying thing that happens now is when using YouTube, I have to tap the X on the bottom right to get rid of the controls every time I play a new video. That's just as annoying as not hearing the chime when invoking ok google. Is there any way to have the best of both worlds other than waiting forever for Google to resolve this issue? It's the classic "Hillary vs. Donald dilemma" :-X

Captain Dane

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
For now just uninstall updates for google app. Settings. Applications. Google app.
Select more. Unistall updates.
Now wait for google to get this up and running in their updates

feinstee

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
I just called Google support, since the audio sound went away for my Nexus 5 and is not there on my new Pixel (even though you definitely hear it in the TV commercial).

Google support said that the audio prompt was removed in the latest update.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So I get in my car, yesterday afternoon. Speakerphone says "Connected... etc." I press the button to get the phone's attention and... lo and behold: The thing chimes, chimes again after I give my "Call so-and-so mobile" command," then tells me who it's calling. Just like it's supposed to.

No reason, whatsoever, I can determine that would've caused it to start working properly again.

Not to fear, though: Google Now was comatose again this morning
shake.gif

Good job, Google!

ByteTraveler

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
So there you go. Just enable Switch Access and you got your sound back. Again though, just don't ask me WHY it works.

Nice find, NebsTV. Thank you! This has been driving me absolutely crazy on my Galaxy S6 for the last week or so, and enabling "Switch Access" under Settings->Accessibility->Services did the trick. Very much appreciate it!

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, it finally happened: The lack of Google Now's feedback resulted in me calling a wrong number. Was bound to happen. So, going forward, I'll no longer use voice dialing. Since voice dialing was the main reason I even used GN: There's no longer any reason to take chances compromising my privacy by having Google listening. I expect that removing Google Now will hobble my Android Wear smartwatch, so maybe that'll go, next.

Good job, Google!
highfive.gif

Spelcheker

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Just got an update to google now on my Moto Z play. Was excited thinking "this will fix it!", but no. Same deal. Found this thread and switched on "switch access". IT WORKS! Thanks so much.

MILES_LONG

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I don't believe there is an answer--other than Google fixing their broken software.

There's a "Send Feedback" choice on the menu. Tap that and let them know what you think. You can also rate the app on the Play Store. I did both. Maybe if everybody did both of those things Google might notice.

They might even fix it. (I'm not holding my breath.)

Do you use the toilet?
I'm assuming yes. I'm also assuming you take a crap daily or close to it.

Next time you do, instead of flushing the toilet paper, use it as a Kleenex.

Doing so will have the same identical effect as wasting your time sending Feedback to Google, leaving a bad review, posting a question in any of the Google support forums or, calling Google!

They Don't Read then and they Don't care.

This unfortunately for ALL Android or Google services / products, is Fact
Even paying customers get Zero customer support.

Google dances to their own drummer and we, it's customers, are all along for the ride.

We, "the customers" are an afterthought to them. A disturbing, annoying but necessary evil, that they tolerate... Barely!

We All serve one and only one purpose to them. We are Endless Data troves that they Mine and sell to generate revenue.

Every product, service and decision at google is developed, offered and made to serve that purpose.

So in case you didn't understand the toilet paper reference.
Basically you are better off wiping your ***, with your hand, then sending Feedback.

You will end up equally frustrated.
Though, clean

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Here is something interesting... Yesterday I picked up a Google Home. By default it doesn't play any tone on "ok Google", but there is a setting to turn it on for both before and after (just like Amazon Echo).

Turned on the 'before' setting, and that got my phone doing it as well.

MILES_LONG

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
The Switch Access Half Assed work around Does Fixt the issue.
However, Doing so causes another annoying issue (Typical Google, Fix one problem create three more!)

the new problem is it puts and leaves the play controls on all youtube videos ( those being the FF >, the Rew < the pause button etc. the only way to remove them is a poorly placed unintuitive, tiny (x) located at the very bottom right, almost on top of the manual Red scroll line / video position line located at the bottom of the video.
Unless you have tiny fingers, you are going to advance the video all the way to the end by trying to click the (x) Especially when watching in portrait mode.

So you get the audible tone back
and are left almost as frustrated.

I also noticed an additional 10 to 15% battery drop by enabling this. Nothing else has changed in my usage,every other setting has remained identical to before i enabled it.

anon(836762)

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I just got an update to Android Auto today that enables you to use the phone as the main unit. There is the audible tone after tapping the mic button - just how it should be - but just a vibration using Google Now...

1 Bad Jesus Mofo

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Like a lot of you, this problem happened to me in the past few days. Nexus 5 for me. Searching for an answer I found this thread. Installing the Clean Master app seemed like the best solution, so I gave it a shot, and it DID WORK. But, after doing some investigation, not for the reason a lot of you may think.

When using the app, it asks you to turn on permissions for it in Settings>Accessibility>Services. For some reason, and don't ask me why because I don't know, THIS is what triggers the OK Google sound to work again! Thing is, you don't NEED Clean Master do to this. I found just enabling Switch Access in Accessibility works as well.
So there you go. Just enable Switch Access and you got your sound back. Again though, just don't ask me WHY it works.

NebsTv...YOU ROCK!! Thank You!..."fun fact" It actually took me LONGER to "re-find" your post in order to THANK YOU than it did to FIX the glitch once i applied your suggestion lol Thanks again man!

Shaya R

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
The Switch Access Half Assed work around Does Fixt the issue.
However, Doing so causes another annoying issue (Typical Google, Fix one problem create three more!)

the new problem is it puts and leaves the play controls on all youtube videos ( those being the FF >, the Rew < the pause button etc. the only way to remove them is a poorly placed unintuitive, tiny (x) located at the very bottom right, almost on top of the manual Red scroll line / video position line located at the bottom of the video.

I tried a solution that was posted by NebsTV (reposted recently by another user) that fixed the OK Google chime issue and doesn't have the crazy YouTube OSD issues that are caused by enabling Switch Access.

1. Install "Clean Master" by Cheetah Mobile from the Play Store (No need to actually run the app)
2. Go to phone's Settings > Accessibility
3. On the bottom there is a "Services" header with "Clean Master" under it. Go into that and enable it.

That's it! The OK Google chime is back and no crazy overlay side-effects in YouTube!

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
A couple days ago I got to wondering: "Hmmm," I thought to myself, "I wonder, if I turn 'Ok Google' detection 'From the Google app' back on..." So I did. Hey! Google Now was working correctly again!

Until it wasn't. That lasted all of about a half dozen calls over two days and it was back to being comatose. No, turning Switch Access on did not remedy the problem. Now they're both turned off again.

Shades of Microsoft software "quality"
shake.gif

So in case you didn't understand the toilet paper reference.
Basically you are better off wiping your ***, with your hand, then sending Feedback.
I sent feedback, and left an uncomplimentary review on the Play Store, since they took me little time. I did not expect anything to come of it, because, as you've noted: We're not the customer, we're the product.

This is what you get when you get something cheap. Most people don't seem to get it.

Surprisingly, Google did reach out to me when I left a less-than-glowing review about Android Wear. (Which is, IMO, equally brain dead. I would not buy another Android Wear watch.) But all they did, by way of addressing the problem, was have me go through the usual reboot, re-install, etc. routine. Again: Shades of Microsoft Windows. So, when I updated my AW review, further down-rating the app because it remained broken even through an Android major version upgrade, and they reached out to me, again, I replied "If all you're going to offer me is..., let us not waste each others' time" They did not reply.

When my ASUS ZenWatch 2 dies in a couple years (if it lasts that long) that will be my last Android Wear purchase, ever. Obviously I'd never again recommend it to anybody else.

When the watch goes, so will Google Now. If not before then.

Last edited:

Najah I

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
This happened to me yesterday, but I managed to find out what the cause was and was able to get my OK google sound back. The problem is explained here: Disabling Accessibility Services Kills Nougat OK Google Audio Feedback. Although this doesn't only affect Nougat devices, but also devices on older versions of Android.

So, this problem happened to me yesterday. Then I googled the problem and came across that article. I realised something must have changed in accessibility for this problem to start. Then I realised I recently uninstalled an application, which originally had a toggle in Acessibility. After reinstalling the application, and toggling it on in Accessibility (as the app requires), then my Ok google sound came back. I think no one knows exactly why toggling something in Accessibility even affects this, but at least I managed to find out what caused this problem for me.

Long story short: uninstalling an application that had a toggle in Accessibility caused the OK google beep to disappear and be replaced by a vibration. In case you were wondering which app it was (and now reinstalled): Native Clipboard Manager. It's quite useful anyway imo.

So instead of changing "Switch Acess" to on in Accessibility, and running into annoyances in Youtube, you could just install this app I use.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital