I've owned everything, and the Nexus 6p is still the best!

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just a random update,

I've owned every phone under the sun, up to and including the new Galaxy S7, and I can say the Nexus 6p is the best phone I've ever used.

I'm thankful everytime I pick it up!

Posted via my Nokia 8210 from the inside of a Kitten.

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I have both the S7 edge and 6P. Love my nexus more due to stock android and design

Posted via the Android Central App

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
This nexus 6p is such a great phone! Stock Android is awesome! The camera is awesome! The screen and on and on...I really hope that when HTC brings the next Nexus device that they continue the great work of Huawei because this phone is hard to top. I hope Google doesn't allow HTC to work with any camera software in regards to the camera itself. HTC has the worst camera software engineers. They simply can't get camera right and they are always ALWAYS a step behind the competition. Please Google don't take a step backwards when you go forward with the next iteration of this phone!

I'm sure HTC can build a fabulous all metal phone with better quality standards and, possibly even, design standards than Huawei. But, Google please don't let the HTC camera software guys anywhere near the next Nexus flagship camera. It's guaranteed to be a disappointment, if so!

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
This nexus 6p is such a great phone! Stock Android is awesome! The camera is awesome! The screen and on and on...I really hope that when HTC brings the next Nexus device that they continue the great work of Huawei because this phone is hard to top. I hope Google doesn't allow HTC to work with any camera software in regards to the camera itself. HTC has the worst camera software engineers. They simply can't get camera right and they are always ALWAYS a step behind the competition. Please Google don't take a step backwards when you go forward with the next iteration of this phone!

I'm sure HTC can build a fabulous all metal phone with better quality standards and, possibly even, design standards than Huawei. But, Google please don't let the HTC camera software guys anywhere near the next Nexus flagship camera. It's guaranteed to be a disappointment, if so!

Geez, why don't you at least wait for the HTC 10 to be released in a couple weeks. I don't disagree necessary but that was a little much. Let's not forget. Nexus cameras sucked before the 6P.

Last edited:

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Google should insist that the volume rocker buttons and power button MUST remain on the side of the phone. Hahah

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
While I haven't owned everything under the sun, I have had my fare share of devices, Nexus and non Nexus and I am still blown away by what this phone can do. Screen, sound, camera quality, etc, etc. I don't need all of the extras when stock does everything I need and more with fluidity, smoothness and speed.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yep.... And if there Is something I need extra, I'd rather download an app than have it baked into the system.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Geez, why don't you at least wait for the HTC 10 to be released in a couple weeks. I don't disagree necessary but that was a little much. Let's not forget. Nexus cameras sucked before the 6P.

Typical response..It's always wait for the next HTC phone to give you a great camera experience! No matter that, it will still be behind the leaders! Why wait on HTC when you already have great cameras on phones, right now..TODAY!?

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

BTW, when cameras sucked on Nexus devices, they were sucky on HTC devices as well. In general, cell phone cameras have always been rather sucky up until about two years ago. But, my comment regarding HTC is that they have always been behind the curve. They try new ideas with cameras and they never ever build on those ideas and develop them. Technically, they should've been the first ones to come up with a great low light camera as they were truly the first to introduce the ideas of ultra pixels...But, they got bored! They had 3d and they got bored...They never ever see their ideas through to near perfection. The Huawei camera is what HTC should have made on the HTC M8 and for sure the M9. But, they went with some extreme pixel count camera that absolutely sucks all around. You can wait on the M10 if you want, but I GUARANTEE it will not be up to galaxy S7 standards and would even wager that it won't be as good as the 6P.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
BTW, when cameras sucked on Nexus devices, they were sucky on HTC devices as well. In general, cell phone cameras have always been rather sucky up until about two years ago. But, my comment regarding HTC is that they have always been behind the curve. They try new ideas with cameras and they never ever build on those ideas and develop them. Technically, they should've been the first ones to come up with a great low light camera as they were truly the first to introduce the ideas of ultra pixels...But, they got bored! They had 3d and they got bored...They never ever see their ideas through to near perfection. The Huawei camera is what HTC should have made on the HTC M8 and for sure the M9. But, they went with some extreme pixel count camera that absolutely sucks all around. You can wait on the M10 if you want, but I GUARANTEE it will not be up to galaxy S7 standards and would even wager that it won't be as good as the 6P.

I think you missed my point. Prior to last year ALL Nexus cameras sucked. Finally last year they put a decent camera in but the software is rather bland and it is missing OIS. THIS year HTC is using the exact same sensor that the 6P is using but will have OIS and other auto focus hardware that the 6P doesn't have. So yes, this year the camera might actually not be holding the phone back. Motorola used to have crappy cameras but the Pure is also decent. Things can change. Again, let's just wait and see or last year were you saying the 6P camera was going to be crappy because Nexus' have always been crappy before it was released?

Last edited:

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I think you missed my point. Prior to last year ALL Nexus cameras sucked. Finally last year they put a decent camera in but the software is rather bland and it is missing OIS. THIS year HTC is using the exact same sensor that the 6P is using but will have OIS and other auto focus hardware that the 6P doesn't have. So yes, this year the camera might actually not be holding the phone back. Motorola used to have crappy cameras but the Pure is also decent. Things can change. Again, let's just wait and see or last year were you saying the 6P camera was going to be crappy because Nexus' have always been crappy before it was released?

And, I think we are missing each other's points. You are talking about hardware and I'm talking about camera software engineers. Those are the guys who match the hardware and software to create great photos regardless of the situation. HTC is talentless in that area! You can give them all of the best hardware there is, but their software guys will absolutely drop the ball. And, that has been the case with every single HTC phone I've owned from the OG EVO through the M9. I'm not talking about the camera software application on the phone. I'm talking about the guys who tweak the camera performance parameters such as sharpness control..luminance..brightness..color exposure etc...in order to create consistently good photos in auto mode. If they hired some new people with real expertise then I might wait around....but I wouldn't put a single egg in that basket otherwise....lol!

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
And, I think we are missing each other's points. You are talking about hardware and I'm talking about camera software engineers. Those are the guys who match the hardware and software to create great photos regardless of the situation. HTC is talentless in that area! You can give them all of the best hardware there is, but their software guys will absolutely drop the ball. And, that has been the case with every single HTC phone I've owned from the OG EVO through the M9. I'm not talking about the camera software application on the phone. I'm talking about the guys who tweak the camera performance parameters such as sharpness control..luminance..brightness..color exposure etc...in order to create consistently good photos in auto mode. If they hired some new people with real expertise then I might wait around....but I wouldn't put a single egg in that basket otherwise....lol!

I think the difference this year is they finally have the requisite hardware this time around. The Toshiba sensor last year was bad and it was missing OIS. The M8 was missing OIS and the sensor was bad. The M7 had OIS but the sensor was bad and had purple tint. This year they are using a reliable 6P sensor but with OIS. You are right about the software problem but the A9 was a step in the right direction. So I guess we are both right. Software and hardware have held them back. I just think getting back to this thread somewhat, lol, that their involvement in the Nexus program this year will refine a lot of their software and firmware. I've already seen screen shots of their camera app and it looks a lot like the stock Android camera app on the 6P. In general they are abandoning a lot of Sense apps and making Sense more stock. That is direction you could see them going in the A9 and Sense 8 will take it even further.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
My chief concern with HTC possibly building this year's Nexus is the battery life. From experience, the battery life on HTC phones is horrible. I don't know who supplies HTC with batteries, but it seems like they always cut corners in that area.

We basically know all about the 10, from specs to design, but what we don't know the battery capacity. I'm not willing to compromise in that area, especially after using this 6P. Also, the rumored decrease in screen size is a no go for me, as well as the prospect of no BoomSound front speakers.

I was all concerned about getting the 6P because of the SD 810, but I haven't had many issues in actual use. That's not to say I'm not interested in seeing how the SD 820 fares in terms of performance. Will it be that much faster or efficient with battery with that 14 nm FinFet process that Samsung uses? I need to be blown away by this year's Nexus for me to upgrade, though, because with the exception of a couple nitpicks, the 6P is pretty close to the "perfect" Android phone.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Get back to me in 6 to 8 months after the honey moon period is over when it starts lagging like every other Galaxy phone.

Well since this is not my forum, I wasn't going to make a comment. However, now in self defense, I will note that I had the Galaxy S6 Edge + for 7 months and never experienced any lag or any deterioration in performance at all. Up until I traded it in the other day for the S7 Edge, it remained just as superb as the day I bought it. I think you're buying into myths that no longer apply. But I do concede the point that you will get updates before I will. For instance, when that Nifty new feature called split-screen functionality comes with Android end, you'll be the first to get it. Oh wait....I already have it. :)

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Well since this is not my forum, I wasn't going to make a comment. However, now in self defense, I will note that I had the Galaxy S6 Edge + for 7 months and never experienced any lag or any deterioration in performance at all. Up until I traded it in the other day for the S7 Edge, it remained just as superb as the day I bought it. I think you're buying into myths that no longer apply. But I do concede the point that you will get updates before I will. For instance, when that Nifty new feature called split-screen functionality comes with Android end, you'll be the first to get it. Oh wait....I already have it. :)

I guess you needed to wait another month then:) Individual mileage will vary...

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I guess you needed to wait another month then:) Individual mileage will vary...

In fairness, if what he said is true, then his Samsung played perfect for the entire time he had it. I can't believe that all Samsung's turn into lag monsters when I see so many people continually buying them. I stopped buying HTC phones because of the sucky cameras despite how great Sense was and the awesome hardware on the later versions. Typically if something isn't working people stop buying, right?

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I think the difference this year is they finally have the requisite hardware this time around. The Toshiba sensor last year was bad and it was missing OIS. The M8 was missing OIS and the sensor was bad. The M7 had OIS but the sensor was bad and had purple tint. This year they are using a reliable 6P sensor but with OIS. You are right about the software problem but the A9 was a step in the right direction. So I guess we are both right. Software and hardware have held them back. I just think getting back to this thread somewhat, lol, that their involvement in the Nexus program this year will refine a lot of their software and firmware. I've already seen screen shots of their camera app and it looks a lot like the stock Android camera app on the 6P. In general they are abandoning a lot of Sense apps and making Sense more stock. That is direction you could see them going in the A9 and Sense 8 will take it even further.

While I believe OIS is a great feature if properly employed, it's not the end all be all for mobile phones. The nexus 6p is proof of that. But, believe it or not I'm actually rooting for HTC. It's just that I'm that jilted lover that will always be salty for the constant disappointments they inflicted on me. Lol! TBH, I don't really care about the bad camera history of the nexus devices because I didn't become a member until the nexus 6. And, that camera was better than any I had experienced on any HTC phone ever. And, HTC really lost me when I had to start sending phones back to them for repair..I.e.purple tint and defective camera lens on the M8. Both times I was without a cell phone for 7+ whole days for faulty equipment that was not my fault. That's their legacy with me, so yes I'm very suspect when it comes to them working the Nexus program.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
In fairness, if what he said is true, then his Samsung played perfect for the entire time he had it. I can't believe that all Samsung's turn into lag monsters when I see so many people continually buying them. I stopped buying HTC phones because of the sucky cameras despite how great Sense was and the awesome hardware on the later versions. Typically if something isn't working people stop buying, right?

I have been in stores where people simply buy Samsung phones because their marketing and advertising is so strong that people just buy it. They aren't familiar will the subtle nuances as we are on here.