Hi there!

I have owned a lot of smartphones in my time (started with Handspring and Compaq, when no one knew what a Smartphone was) and had nearly all the OSs (loved WebOS).
    The Nexus 6P is the first phone with fingerprint sensor and it may sound silly, but I can't seem to make it work the way I want. I absolutely believe, the mistake is my own, but ... well, I can't seem to find what I do wrong.

I can register my fingerprints ok and the phone recognizes me all right. But using the fingerprint doesn't free me from the need to use the pattern, strangely enough.

What I want:
    Use finger and go. If I don't use the finger (i.e. start with the On/Off button or someone else tries to turn on the screen) there shall be the need to enter the pattern.

What I get:
    Use the finger and go only if I don't need the pattern anyway (i.e. because I just turned the phone off a sec ago and turn it on again instantly, or because I am in a secure location defined in "smart lock" setting).
    The way it is set now, it is just another On/Off button and does the same. But I want it not only to turn on my screen but to authenticate me - I mean that's the point of biometrics, init?
    What setting do I miss?

Sorry if the question is dumb. TIA for any hints!
    cya
    04-08-2016 05:20 AM
    I feel the same way. I have smart lock set for on person so when its in my hand I use finger scan and it bypasses second lock. Wish I did not have to do that but seems as though the only other way is with no secure lock screen but then you can't use finger Scan.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-08-2016 06:57 AM
    Just set up a pattern lock. And if you swipe in the screen to unlock or use the power button it requires that. Nexus imprint bypasses all of that stuff.

04-08-2016 07:20 AM
    I only rarely am asked to put my PIN in. Fingerprint does the trick from screen off right to my homescreen. Occasionally it will ask for my PIN anyways, not sure if it's a bug or a security thing where they want the PIN after so long(not counting after a reboot). Apps that need a PIN or fingerprint scan will still require those.
    04-08-2016 12:24 PM
    I used to use the pattern lock, but I found out with my ex's phone that I could get into her phone whenever I wanted, since you can actually SEE the pattern on the glass. I always use a pass code or pin. I think the fingerprint is great to use, and I think it's worth the slight inconvenience of having to pick up the phone.

04-08-2016 03:52 PM
    I've got smart lock off, and my fingerprint always instantly unlocks my phone. Occasionally it will ask for my password, but usually only if my watch is disconnected from my phone (it is usually always connected)
    04-09-2016 04:22 AM
    do you use any other third party lockscreen software?
    most often this is the cause for what you are experiencing.

what are you exact security settings for lockscreen now?
    04-09-2016 08:03 AM
    This. Some third party apps cause the phone to ask for your passcode even when you use the scanner, especially ones that mess with the lockscreen. It happened to me once before, though I can't recall exactly which app it was. Once I deleted it, the issue disappeared.

Posted via my Nexus 6P on VerLIEzon Wireless but without their shackles.
    04-11-2016 12:57 AM
    most often this is the cause for what you are experiencing.
    Nope

what are you exact security settings for lockscreen now?
    Security setting is
    "Pattern"
    Make pattern visible is "on"
    Locking in 5 Seconds if not unlocked by SmartLock
    On/Off locks device unless unlocked by SmartLock
    Message = none
    Nexus Imprint has 3 Fingerprints enabled
    SmartLock is on (my house is defined)

no SIM Lock, no nothing atm.
    04-11-2016 02:28 AM
    I have Imprint set up for 2 fingers (both index fingers) with a pattern as backup. Once in awhile even after I use the FPS to unlock the phone it will also ask me to enter the pattern. It's usually one of 3 reasons, after a reboot, after it comes off the charger, or after it has gone for something like 4-8 hours without use.

Beyond those reasons, I can barely recall the number of times the FPS didn't fully I lock my device. The only other thing I can think of is if your fingerprints are altered somewhat, like if they're dirty or if there's a cut on your finger.
    04-11-2016 12:05 PM
    Is it telling you that it has failed too many times? I think after 5 failed readings it forces you to use your pin/pattern.
    04-11-2016 12:23 PM
    Is it telling you that it has failed too many times? I think after 5 failed readings it forces you to use your pin/pattern.
    Nope.

Lately it seems to come around though and work as expected ...
    I probably fixed it, when I wiped the cache partition (after the last system update), but I am not sure.

Thanks or your help anyways.
    cya
    04-14-2016 03:06 AM
    Nope.

Lately it seems to come around though and work as expected ...
    I probably fixed it, when I wiped the cache partition (after the last system update), but I am not sure.

Thanks or your help anyways.
    cya
    Have you tried turning smart lock off and seeing if it works then?
    04-14-2016 05:05 AM