Nexus 6P: To buy or not to buy?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Only wait for the next Nexus if you really care about having the latest and greatest (although there's less of an argument for that with Nexuses due to software updates) or if one of its shortcomings are really a dealbreaker for you. Otherwise, you'll be happy with a 6P and you'll be able to get it cheaper to boot, since it's on sale now for $50 off in a lot of places.

I think that the 'wait for the next one' thing will take a bit of time to fade away. It wasn't that long ago that the difference between HALF generations was a big jump, never mind a full year. Not too long ago, a year meant going from something like the Galaxy SIII to a Nexus 5. It's a slightly different climate now, and the difference isn't nearly as wide. I mean, sure, the devices coming this fall will most likely be better than what we have now on paper, but in practice, those advantages will not be nearly as noticeable as they once had.

Now, if we were on the cusp of the new releases, OK, I'll entertain "wait" as an option. But the next gen Nexii are still a good 6 or 7 months out and as good as they may be, they will only be incrementally so. Now, HTC or whoever does the next Nexus might do a bang-up job, but Huawei still slayed it with the 6P. Now, I could end up eating my words with some crazy awesome new Nexus, which is kind of what happened to my Nexus 6 when the 6P dropped... as the 6P turned out to have several distinct advantages over the 6 that were hard to pass up. But sitting here, looking at things, I am not sure if what's coming in the Fall will be able to replicate that.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered the 6P for myself and the 5X for my wife. We will get them this week. A large factor was that I wanted to move us to Project Fi. We don't use much data thanks to wifi (I work at home and my wife is currently unemployed) so Project Fi should save us quite a bit.

Yes, I'm buying this phone solely to try out Project Fi, and I bought it from a someone who returned it for the Apple 6S, so I got a good deal

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
As far as Nexus Phones I have owned the Galaxy Nexus, the Nexus 4 and the Nexus 5. I kept the Nexus 5 for over 2 years and it was the longest phone I have owned. The only thing that was really bad with it was the battery and sometimes the slow camera focus.

It was time for something new and I just recently picked up a 6P and what a great device this thing is. It packs great specs, a great camera, great screen and a large battery! Your newest devices that are coming out right now like the Edge 7, the M10 anf the G5 while maybe on paper look a little higher spec'd there is nothing those phones offer that would make anyone regret purchasing the 6P. Besides the 6P still being a beast of a phone that can hang with anyone one of these flagships that is releasing months later you will be the first to run Android N officially. Next year, when all the devices are finally getting N you will be getting ready for O.

Nexus devices have longer shelf life then any other phones due to it's support so for the next 2 years about you will still feel loved while Samsung, HTC, LG and everyone else won't care about there flagships of this year.

A new Nexus this year might be great, but why not a 6P this year and look at a new Nexus next year or the year after where technology should be much further a long then what you will get in a newer Nexus this year from the 6P.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Now, I could end up eating my words with some crazy awesome new Nexus, which is kind of what happened to my Nexus 6 when the 6P dropped... as the 6P turned out to have several distinct advantages over the 6 that were hard to pass up. But sitting here, looking at things, I am not sure if what's coming in the Fall will be able to replicate that.

To me there was nothing about the Nexus 6 that made me feel like I needed it or made me feel like I was missing something. I will also say I think the 6's size really made a lot of people possibly skip it as well.

I think the 6P is as large as I would want to go I was was very hesitant to go with something that big even but now I can't imagine using a 5" device again, LOL. My Nexus 5 is like a little toy next to it.

I did think about the Nexus 5x for a hot second but I just couldn't bring myself to go with the lower spec'd Nexus and that would definitley want you needing more when there is already a current Nexus better then it. I am waiting for a good deal on the 5x for my wife though.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I am not an Android expert and am still struggling but I've had my Nexus 5 since June 29, 2014. I realized in about 1984 that the dream of having the latest, the newest, the best was futile. It's rather like the man who was depressed after visiting the brewery because they were making it faster than he could drink it. I do every once in a while get the itch and I'll go and look at the Nexus 6p ads. I've never actually seen one because I live in Mexico. Today, the Nexus 6p on Amazon.mx is $10,999 pesos or $671 USD, depending on the exchange rate. Then, I'd have to order a new case, some cables for the new connector, and some adapters for the old cables. So, something over $700 USD.

My usage of my Nexus 5 is strange. I'm very hard of hearing so I don't make phone calls. I do a lot of texting. I don't play games. I don't watch movies on my cell phone. My social life involves real people that I can see and talk to and, gasp, touch. So, my Nexus 5 is fine and I'll wait to see what the fall will bring.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
To me there was nothing about the Nexus 6 that made me feel like I needed it or made me feel like I was missing something. I will also say I think the 6's size really made a lot of people possibly skip it as well.

I was on the other side... I was drawn to the Nexus 6's size (I got big hands, the N5's 5" screen was too crowded)... along with improvements to the camera and better battery performance. But I can certainly see why Shamu's gravity well would scare off people. That sucker lived up to its internal code name. And I really enjoyed the phone, so I was reluctant to get the 6P... but between the 6P's excellent camera and FPS, it sort of won me over.

And this is also why I am not so sure the Nexus 7 (or whatever) can be as compelling a buy as the 6P. It might have a better camera, but the 6P's is damn good... improvements in speed, display, battery life, etc... they can only be incremental. It'd have to have some tempting new bit to get my attention... and I am not so sure that there is something like that on the horizon. The 6P will get N and the goodies that are coming its way, so software wise, it'll get that end. And hardware wise, what's left? Project Tango stuff? AR/VR isn't high on my list to be honest, so that's one of those "Neat... but I'm good" bits of tech. But its too soon to know exactly what the 'next big thing' is at this point.

But with I/O coming up, we'll have a much better idea what we'll see with the next line of Nexus phones. Can't wait in any case.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
What is it you would be waiting to see in the fall? You said the Nexus 5 does everything you needed it to do for you.

What new features would you be looking for?

For me, the Nexus 5 battery was not doing it for me. Also, the phone had become very laggy, not sure if that is due to Marshmellow or not but that is really when I started noticing it. Also, I thought the camera was decent but slow on focusing.

For me the Nexus 6P improved all my wants over the 5.

Now the new Nexus, I can't imagine HTC is going to build a Nexus that will be better in every way over their flagship M10 they just released so if that is the case, the 6P can still stay very well in the game with what we probably will see. Next years or definitely the years after would be the time to re-up from the 6P.

And for people looking to be current and save money, at $250 for the 32g Nexus 5X through the Fi deal, that is a steal even though the 5X is not a flagship and at $250 it shouldn't be either. But great device for the price!

We are now seeing speculation of the new Nexus benchmarks running a Snapdragon 820 with 4 gigs of ram. Pretty much expected and nothing shocking there, otherwise you would just be remanufacturing the 6P. LOL

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Now the new Nexus, I can't imagine HTC is going to build a Nexus that will be better in every way over their flagship M10

I agree with you on this one. The 6P brought in a really good FPS and an excellent camera into the fold. The other improvements were much more incremental. The 6P was a little faster, got a little bit better battery performance, the screen was a bit better, etc... but the FPS and camera really added a lot to the utility of the 6P. Now, what will be this fall's 'FPS and awesome camera' feature? What will be these phones' compelling reasons to buy other than "because new"?

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you on this one. The 6P brought in a really good FPS and an excellent camera into the fold. The other improvements were much more incremental. The 6P was a little faster, got a little bit better battery performance, the screen was a bit better, etc... but the FPS and camera really added a lot to the utility of the 6P. Now, what will be this fall's 'FPS and awesome camera' feature? What will be these phones' compelling reasons to buy other than "because new"?

OIS. Especially on 4K video for starters. That's the only glaring hardware missing that the 10 has.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
We are now seeing speculation of the new Nexus benchmarks running a Snapdragon 820 with 4 gigs of ram. Pretty much expected and nothing shocking there, otherwise you would just be remanufacturing the 6P.
I kinda wish they would just remanufacture or "refresh" the 6P. I'd hate to see the 2016 version of the 6P drop down to a 5.5" display.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OIS. Especially on 4K video for starters. That's the only glaring hardware missing that the 10 has.

Right. I rarely take 4K video, so it's not a big deal.. I've taken a ton of videos since I've bought the phone, all 1080, and EIS did a good enough job as to not be an issue in the final product. And for stills, OIS gives very little benefit in practice. The 6P still yields the best quality low-light pictures, even against a phone with a wider aperture AND OIS, such as the S7... (I know that one for a fact, my wife has one). Sure, it would have been better to have it, but it's not a fatal flaw by any means.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad