Nexus 6P: To buy or not to buy?

jmw1976

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Good Afternoon:

My contract is up and I am trying to decided whether to wait for the newest Nexus phone or purchase the 6p. I am currently using a iPhone 6 and have had Android devices in the past so I am somewhat familiar with the OS. I am bored with apple and looking for the pure android experience. With that in mind I will also entertain thoughts on the Moto X pure

Any forecasters out there have some helpful thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I guess it depends on if you want to wait until late this year for the new Nexus announcement, which will be created by HTC.

I've owned nothing but Android phones, and have gotten a new one every year, but the 6p is by far my favorite phone and will be pretty future proof for a long time... although I would have preferred 4 GB of RAM. I've been so pleased, that I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't upgrade until after 2 years.

I loved my HTC One (M7), but since then HTC has released "Meh" iterations, including a somewhat panned Nexus 9 (until they fixed the performance and build issues).

I doubt an HTC Nexus will surpass the beautiful design and performance of the Huawei Nexus (especially the camera).

Yes, internals will likely be "better," but there's only so much you can noticeably improve smartphone performance these days.

Posted via the AC App on my Nexus 6p

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I guess it depends on if you want to wait until late this year for the new Nexus announcement, which will be created by HTC.

I've owned nothing but Android phones, and have gotten a new one every year, but the 6p is by far my favorite phone and will be pretty future proof for a long time... although I would have preferred 4 GB of RAM. I've been so pleased, that I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't upgrade until after 2 years.

I loved my HTC One (M7), but since then HTC has released "Meh" iterations, including a somewhat panned Nexus 9 (until they fixed the performance and build issues).

I doubt an HTC Nexus will surpass the beautiful design and performance of the Huawei Nexus (especially the camera).

Yes, internals will likely be "better," but there's only so much you can noticeably improve smartphone performance these days.

How much do you want to bet the camera on the HTC 10 will be better than the 6P? It is using the same sensor but with OIS and a better laser focus and more manual controls. You will probably be right about performance though.

Posted via the Android Central App

nationalsuicide

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Same boat I'm in right now. Upgrade date was the 10th and I'm curious myself. The 6p looks good. It's highly future resistant. The Google fi project draws me in.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from a Nexus 6 to the 6P last week. This is by far the best phone I've owned. I'm blown away by it.

mmaged2287

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
That's impossible. The HTC 10 does not have the same sensor as the Nexus. The sensor in Nexus 6p is using a sensor found in point and shoot cameras. The sensor was not made for OIS. This is the reason it was absent in the Nexus 6p(not to save money). I was at a New York event hosted by the Nexus Team back during the holiday season, and the nexus team explained this to me. It may be using a similar sensor, but its not the same one.

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Right. Also HTC has yet to release a truly good camera...so no reason to think differently on a Nexus device until they show me otherwise. It's consistently one of the major gripes / cons on all of their devices.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm somewhat in the same boat as well, I've got little left on my S6 and the 6P through my carrier is zero dollars. The only major thing holding me back is they only offer 32gb variant (Rogers canada), I currently have storage issues with my 32gb S6. I also don't have much faith in the htc camera for the next nexus, I'm hopeful but skeptical for sure. I just really wish 6p offered SD card slot.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm somewhat in the same boat as well, I've got little left on my S6 and the 6P through my carrier is zero dollars. The only major thing holding me back is they only offer 32gb variant (Rogers canada), I currently have storage issues with my 32gb S6. I also don't have much faith in the htc camera for the next nexus, I'm hopeful but skeptical for sure. I just really wish 6p offered SD card slot.

Can't you buy it directly from Google in Canada? In the US the phone companies have stopped bundling the phones into the plans so there is no longer a reason to buy the phone from them.

As to the origninal poster's question. We are probably 6 months away from the 2016 Nexii. Very little is know about them. Speculation is that they will be built by HTC and that the 6P replacement will have a smaller screen than the current 6P (I hate that, I like the 5'7" screen), what's certain is that it won't be a better screen, the OLED screen on the 6P is as good as it's going to get for a while, since we don't know what HTC is planning it's possible that they will use an LCD instead of an OLED, that would be worse, but of course there is no way to know until they announce the phone. The CPU will probably be an 820, that's an improvement, nothing is known about the camera. The camera in the 6P is very good but it lack OIS. Huawei's and LGs new phones have dual sensors which is supposed to be a big step forward, will the HTC Nexii?, hopefully but probably not.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Can't you buy it directly from Google in Canada? In the US the phone companies have stopped bundling the phones into the plans so there is no longer a reason to buy the phone from them.

As to the origninal poster's question. We are probably 6 months away from the 2016 Nexii. Very little is know about them. Speculation is that they will be built by HTC and that the 6P replacement will have a smaller screen than the current 6P (I hate that, I like the 5'7" screen), what's certain is that it won't be a better screen, the OLED screen on the 6P is as good as it's going to get for a while, since we don't know what HTC is planning it's possible that they will use an LCD instead of an OLED, that would be worse, but of course there is no way to know until they announce the phone. The CPU will probably be an 820, that's an improvement, nothing is known about the camera. The camera in the 6P is very good but it lack OIS. Huawei's and LGs new phones have dual sensors which is supposed to be a big step forward, will the HTC Nexii?, hopefully but probably not.

$700 Canadian is pricey, i mean i am sure the phone is worth it but I cant afford that. Ya i know it sucks being dependent on subsidized prices but $0 is fantastic, i could sell my S6 and pay off my remaining balance plus have some extra change in my pocket. If my carrier offered the 64GB model for $50 on contract id do it in a heartbeat, but if i were to buy directly from google (which i would love too, but again thats a lot of $$$) even selling my S6 would only cover half the cost.

Adam Zeis

Adminstrator
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I think it all comes down to how patient you are. I love my 6p, but as others said, a new one is on the way in a matter of months. No harm in buying now, it's still an amazing phone (and will be for a while), but if you can hold out, wait for the next model. Worst case you don't like the new one and can get a 6p even cheaper.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Judging by this and other forums, the consenus seems to be the 6P is a great phone and will still be great in the near future.

I would buy one but not at today's prices. Out of my budget. If you are budget conscious or if you have the money to get the latest and greatest, wait until the next Nexus is released and then the 6P price will drop. By waiting, you can see what the new Nexus will be.

I'm waiting to see how much it drops. (Probably not as much as I would like).

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, I'm currently on the verge of getting a 6P but not too thrilled about the smaller screen. Were you ok with that? Thanks!

I get the feeling the new Nexus will be even smaller at 5.5".

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I love my 6p. New one will be announced in a couple of months but actually release will be towards November time frame. They will release updates for it for another 1.5 years. It will get Android N and Android O.

OP said they want pure Nexus so it cuts out the "wait to see what Motorola brings, wait to see what Sammy brings, wait to see what LG brings and the HTC and we start that cycle all over again". If I was looking at a new phone right now, I would go with the 6P.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered the 6P for myself and the 5X for my wife. We will get them this week. A large factor was that I wanted to move us to Project Fi. We don't use much data thanks to wifi (I work at home and my wife is currently unemployed) so Project Fi should save us quite a bit.

Last edited:

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I think this is an easy decision. The 6p is here now and fully known. And awesome. And future proof. And you're still about 7 months until the next one. Add to that another 2-3 months of user reviews too see if it's any good or not.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, I'm currently on the verge of getting a 6P but not too thrilled about the smaller screen. Were you ok with that? Thanks!
I was concerned about that too. But this screen is actually better in my opinion. I thought going from a 6" screen down to 5.7" one would be an issue but it hasn't bothered me at all.

Ghisy

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I was concerned about that too. But this screen is actually better in my opinion. I thought going from a 6" screen down to 5.7" one would be an issue but it hasn't bothered me at all.
Technically, it's going from 5.96 to 5.7 :p
Argh, I haven't been this torn about getting a phone for a long time. I'm actually thinking about it because Google is lowering the price in Europe by 150 euros until early May. So I thought it would be the time to get one (550 euros for a 64 GB seems like a decent deal).