Nexus 6p on Verizon, call quality problems

A

AC Question

I have a Nexus 6P and really like the phone.However, I have real problem with call quality and dropped calls. I've done everything suggested as far as putting in a new sim, shutting off enhanced LTE mode,etc . I am on the Verizon network . I had Verizon "monitor" my calls for a week and log when the calls dropped, they have assured me it is not a Verizon issue. Further, I did not experience any of these call quality issues on my Samsung S4 on the Verizon network in the same "troublespots" . Google has replaced the phone, same issue. I have someone else on Verizon stand right next to me and they don't experience the same issues. A Verizon engineer speculated that it is because the Nexus is unlocked and as such, is not "optimized" for any network and searches for all cell towers which sometimes causes the dropped calls. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome and appreciated. Love the phone,but this is a real issue when using my phone for work.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Wireless & Networks-More>Cellular Networks>Preferred Network Type​. What options do you have?

wwwjr

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Verizon, but haven't had this call quality, connection issue. And I've had my Nexus 6p since December. My call quality has been excellent. Are you using a case?

Posted via the Android Central App

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm also on Verizon with my 6P. Excellent call quality & no drops for me. I've been on Verizon forever & this phone is as solid for calls as any I've ever had.

Via the Android Central App

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
For those without call issues - are you performing a factory reset after updates?

I have random call drops and forced mute where people can't hear me speaking. I've done a reset after the Feb update but the problems were present before and after and since I went back to Verizon after short stints with Fi and ATT.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
For those without call issues - are you performing a factory reset after updates?

I have random call drops and forced mute where people can't hear me speaking. I've done a reset after the Feb update but the problems were present before and after and since I went back to Verizon after short stints with Fi and ATT.

I got my phone right after the Christmas sale and I have never factory reset it. I do a cache partition wipe after an update though. I've never had any call quality issues on this phone and I am on the phone a lot for my work at job sites all over the place, sometimes very remote with weak signal too.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I got my phone right after the Christmas sale and I have never factory reset it. I do a cache partition wipe after an update though. I've never had any call quality issues on this phone and I am on the phone a lot for my work at job sites all over the place, sometimes very remote with weak signal too.

OK that's good to hear. I love my 6p but need to be on Verizon.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I got my phone close to launch and I've had no issues on Verizon. I only do factory resets after big updates so until Android N hits I won't be doing one and so far it's been great.

Clifton Richie

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm having call problems as well as I just purchased the phone. Should I switch the network to LTE/CDMA instead of global?

johnbid

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have been having this problem over the last couple of weeks as well. I've had my phone since December and it seems to be only recently. I have a Spigen case on my phone, and I had the preferred network set to LTE/CDMA, and the Enhanced 4G LTE Mode set to on. I'll try switching these one at a time to see if it helps and report back. I love everything else about this device. I hate to have to get rid of it but when it drops important business calls and I have to borrow my wife's iphone to complete them I might have to consider something else (Galaxy S7?).

Clifton Richie

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Likewise, I had a Spigen case on it also but switched to a less cumbersome case... We shall see. I really don't want to go back to TouchWiz!

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I got my 6P in November. I use Verizon in the greater Los Angeles area primarily. No issues with call quality or dropped calls but I should mention I don't make/take calls very often (less than five times a week on average).

TonyTheTech

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I also have call quality problems on my Nexus 6P on Verizon. I can hear the callers clearly but they cannot hear me clearly. They say my voice gets garbled and drops ever fourth word. I tried turning on "Enhanced 4G/LTE Mode" but the call quality problems continue. I set my preferred network type to LTE/CDMA. I will be trying a factory reset next. This problem has persistent for a long time.
Its frustrating as I have my Nexus 6P as my daily driver since last November and now I use a different cell phone (also on Verizon) as my default number which works great.
I lost trust in the brand! I want a HTC or LG phone as my daily driver from now on and I will simple use Nexus devices as programming devices and not phones.:(

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I have had the same issue since I have had the phone. Searched on and off until I came across this 2 months ago. No one complains anymore that I am breaking up. Disable the "voice privacy" and see if that helps. Apparently this adds a lot of overhead and actually hinders call quality. open the phone app. upper right 3dots touch it choose settings. next touch call and un check voice privacy. See how that works for you