Verizon TravelPass not an option

CapeCod-Ken

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I will be traveling on business to France and Israel next week and decided I would give Verizon's TravelPass a try. At $10 /day to use your existing call time and data in 65 different countries it seemed like a pretty good deal for a short trip overseas. No need to have a foreign number when travelling etc. Well today I found out that Verizon will not add that service to non-Verizon phones like the 6P. I tried to add it online and it was not offered as an option. Then I contacted Verizon through a chat and was told by the Rep that it could not be added. The "system" would not allow it.

This just irritates me to no end. Does anyone know if there is a technical explanation why it would not work? Or is Verizon just being it's usual close minded corporate self.

Well I guess I'll be trying out project Fi after all.

Last edited:

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
VZW being the greedy corporation they are.

Do you have an old phone you can use quickly? Put the SIM in your old phone and give VZW a call and you can add that option on. Then once it's done, take that SIM out and put it back into the 6P.

CapeCod-Ken

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I switched the sim to my old 2013 Moto X and was able to add TravelPass to my number. I then switched the SIM back to the 6P. I checked my account and the TravelPass option is still associated with my number. I'm headed out this afternoon. I'll see what happens when I land in France in the morning.

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
But you're in luck. Your phone is adaptable to many travel SIMs you can get and use for probably less than Verizon's 10/day would add up to. It's been a while so I forget which ones but easily searched.

You can make your US calls with a WiFi app like Vonage. Verizon is great in USA but sucks overseas anyway.

CapeCod-Ken

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Well the TravelPass worked. This post is a little delayed because Verizon takes a while to post the $10/day charges to your account. In fact I think they waited to the end of the billing cycle.

The nice thing about using this service is that you keep your phone number while traveling. That means friends, family and in my case business associates can reach you in any of the countries included in the Travelpass plan without having to know any new numbers. In fact I traveled to 2 countries and the $10/day followed me without a hitch. No extra charges when switching countries. Also Verizon sends you a text an hour or so before each 24hr period runs out letting you know that you'll be getting another $10 charge if you continue using data or voice. All in all I was very pleased with how seamless it went.

I did have to go into the settings under cellular networks and change my preferred network type from LTE/CDMA to Global in order to connect to the local network.

I hope this info will help other travelers who are on Verizon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12