Any word on whether we will ever get WIFI calling on Verizon. Didn't realize I would lose that going unlocked.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-16-2016 07:42 AM
    You have a 6P - save a bunch of money by switching to Google Project Fi. https://fi.google.com/about/
    adam9997 likes this.
    04-16-2016 08:32 AM
    As a guess, I would say that they are not likely to support wifi calling on devices that aren't Verizon carrier branded.
    04-16-2016 08:33 AM
    Kinda sucks I'm in the same boat with AT&T. Only phones they sell are able to use that feature, such bs!
    04-16-2016 08:59 AM
    You have a 6P - save a bunch of money by switching to Google Project Fi. https://fi.google.com/about/
    I have unlimited data with Verizon so I don't see the advantage

04-16-2016 11:00 AM
    Go T-mobile. I switched and haven't looked back since. T-mobile is more unlocked friendly in my opinion.

04-16-2016 11:54 AM
    Go T-mobile. I switched and haven't looked back since. T-mobile is more unlocked friendly in my opinion.

Too much hassle to switch because I would have to switch entire family and Verizon gets me a better signal. Also I have unlimited data.

04-16-2016 03:35 PM
    Too much hassle to switch because I would have to switch entire family and Verizon gets me a better signal. Also I have unlimited data.

Those points are lost on most.
    04-16-2016 04:41 PM
    I'm curios what's the advantage of WiFi calling?
    04-16-2016 04:47 PM

it is a hassle to switch, but how much are you paying for the unlimited data plan? did you do a comparison? how much data do you actually use per month? I have a friend that insisted she needs to keep her unlimited Verizon plan and paying extra for it. when asked how much data does she use per month, she said about 2 gigs. why she need to have an unlimited plan is beyond me? I switched from AT&T from a family plan of 5 to a tmobile family plan of 8, I'm still paying less per month than before. my brother in law who for the longest time would not leave his Verizon unlimited plan, finally switched to tmobile last month too. he's saving a lot from them and loving it. I understand that coverage is a big deal and if most of the area you are at have bad reception from tmobile, by all means stay with Verizon. for me, I actually have pretty good service everywhere I go except my home, this is where the wifi calling feature is huge for me.

my final question would be, why do you need wifi calling if your coverage is so good? haha.

04-17-2016 02:09 AM
    it is a hassle to switch, but how much are you paying for the unlimited data plan? did you do a comparison? how much data do you actually use per month? I have a friend that insisted she needs to keep her unlimited Verizon plan and paying extra for it. when asked how much data does she use per month, she said about 2 gigs. why she need to have an unlimited plan is beyond me? I switched from AT&T from a family plan of 5 to a tmobile family plan of 8, I'm still paying less per month than before. my brother in law who for the longest time would not leave his Verizon unlimited plan, finally switched to tmobile last month too. he's saving a lot from them and loving it. I understand that coverage is a big deal and if most of the area you are at have bad reception from tmobile, by all means stay with Verizon. for me, I actually have pretty good service everywhere I go except my home, this is where the wifi calling feature is huge for me.

my final question would be, why do you need wifi calling if your coverage is so good? haha.

I use a lot of data and my unlimited plan costs me 37 dollars with my discount. The reason I would like WIFI capability is for those areas with limited coverage. There are some dead spots where it would come in handy. For example my brother lives in an area where they hate cell towers. I guess the Nexus just isn't for me.

04-17-2016 10:21 AM
    I use a lot of data and my unlimited plan costs me 37 dollars with my discount. The reason I would like WIFI capability is for those areas with limited coverage. There are some dead spots where it would come in handy. For example my brother lives in an area where they hate cell towers. I guess the Nexus just isn't for me.

i see, yeah, then makes a lot of sense to stay with them.
    04-17-2016 02:29 PM
    Uh, maybe I'm not understanding something here but I do Wifi calling all the time with Google Hangouts. Works great, especially with a phone that has no SIM card in it.
    04-17-2016 06:06 PM
    Am I missing something? I have WiFi calling and texting on verizon with my s7
    04-17-2016 09:02 PM
    Am I missing something? I have WiFi calling and texting on verizon with my s7
    If you have a Verizon S7 then yes you will have wifi calling. The OP has a nexus 6P which is an unlocked phone not sold by Verizon, so it doesn't come with Verizon's wifi calling.
    anon(156377) likes this.
    04-17-2016 09:06 PM
    Uh, maybe I'm not understanding something here but I do Wifi calling all the time with Google Hangouts. Works great, especially with a phone that has no SIM card in it.
    That probably only works with people who have Google hangouts.

04-18-2016 12:56 AM
    That probably only works with people who have Google hangouts.
    Nope, I am able to call ANY number using hangouts on my Wifi connected Moto X that no longer has a SIM in it.
    04-18-2016 08:51 AM
    Nope, I am able to call ANY number using hangouts on my Wifi connected Moto X that no longer has a SIM in it.
    I believe you are then using your Google Voice number. Which I guess the OP could do, have his Verizon number forward to a Voice number when he is in a bad cell area? Not sure how easy that is to set up and turn on and off, or if it's possible. But I guess it's kind of a work around if it works.
    Verizon seems shady not allowing wifi calling on unlocked phones.
    04-18-2016 09:34 AM
    I believe you are then using your Google Voice number.
    Nope again. I don't have a Google voice number.

I will add that in order to do a video call or send a text using Hangouts the receiving party also has to have Hangouts but for just calling a regular phone number it isn't necessary. Still don't believe me? Get the Hangouts app and try it yourself. It doesn't care what phone or carrier you have it just requires a Wifi connection.
    04-18-2016 09:45 AM

I will add that in order to do a video call or send a text using Hangouts the receiving party also has to have Hangouts but for just calling a regular phone number it isn't necessary. Still don't believe me? Get the Hangouts app and try it yourself. It doesn't care what phone or carrier you have it just requires a Wifi connection.
    What number do they see? And can they call you? If they can't call you then I guess it's only 50% useful for what he wants to do.
    https://support.google.com/hangouts/.../6079055?hl=en found that on Google.
    Looks like it could be useful to the OP since he does have a SIM card. But still not sure if he could answer calls over wifi, but it looks like it definitely can show his number when he calls people.

The Hangouts to Hangouts message isn't actually a text message, that's just a hangouts message. Just like Facebook has messaging. If that was a text message it could go to anyone without Hangouts. I used Hangouts for a long time, moved to Project Fi, used it for actual texting and hangouts messages, now just hangouts messages.

(by text message I mean SMS)
    04-18-2016 10:36 AM

Just tried a voice call connected only to wifi and it didn't work

04-18-2016 11:38 AM
    Just tried a voice call connected only to wifi and it didn't work
    Using Hangouts?

Here's a tip: You need to use the area code in all the numbers you call with hangouts.
    04-18-2016 12:02 PM
    Using Hangouts?

Here's a tip: You need to use the area code in all the numbers you call with hangouts.
    The error message I got indicated that I needed to be on cellular network

04-18-2016 01:21 PM
    The error message I got indicated that I needed to be on cellular network
    Then it doesn't sound like you were going through Hangouts. I just made a call through Hangouts using my Samsung Nook (it doesn't know what a cellular network is) to my brother-in-law's land line with no problems.

Do you have a Google (Gmail) account? That might be a factor.
    04-18-2016 02:08 PM
    Then it doesn't sound like you were going through Hangouts. I just made a call through Hangouts using my Samsung Nook (it doesn't know what a cellular network is) to my brother-in-law's land line with no problems.

Do you have a Google (Gmail) account? That might be a factor.
    I know what hangouts is and I have a Google account..... Thanks

04-19-2016 04:40 PM