My Battery is taking a hammering!

Pirate Arr

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Did it start after the March security update because mine did and it seems it has not been fixed with the April security update unfortunately me getting mixed results. Very disappointed. I'm currently at 26% and 2.56 SOT which is absolutely pathetic and its the usual culprits, Screen, Android OS and Android System

#TeamFrosty Nexus 6P

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Did it start after the March security update because mine did and it seems it has not been fixed with the April security update unfortunately me getting mixed results. Very disappointed. I'm currently at 26% and 2.56 SOT which is absolutely pathetic and its the usual culprits, Screen, Android OS and Android System

#TeamFrosty Nexus 6P

Yep! exactly this

Posted via the Android Central App

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's a shame that this is happening to you, especially after a security update...

Sorry if you had already stated this earlier, but how long have you had this device? If it's still under warranty, swapping it for another one is always an option; but I guess that pesky security update thing could happen again.

Pirate Arr

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Before the March security update I used to easily get 5 hours SOT but now only 4

Ill be lucky if I get that. I'm at 18 and I'm barely at 2 hours and 30 minutes of on screen time. Absolutely astonishing. I've wiped cache twice and nothing. Even deleted apps, and its light use and yet its horrible.

#TeamFrosty Nexus 6P

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Ill be lucky if I get that. I'm at 18 and I'm barely at 2 hours and 30 minutes of on screen time. Absolutely astonishing. I've wiped cache twice and nothing. Even deleted apps, and its light use and yet its horrible.

#TeamFrosty Nexus 6P

What a drag. You did the factory reset and gradual reinstall of apps while monitoring for battery drain?

I'm done with this (in)security update nonsense. I'll stick with the January patch and my phone will talk to Google again when Android N drops. I'm in no mood to play "update Russian roulette" with my daily driver.

Posted via my Nexus 6P on Verizon (or any d**n network I choose)

terellw

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I wonder if it's only nexus devices that are being affected like this after the security updates?

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Not that I'm expecting it to do anything but I've got a replacement on the way from Google, will try it when it arrives and update the thread.

I'm a Nexus/Google person I own a Nexus 9, Nexus 6p and a Pixel C but I simply can't deal with a flagship phone with such a bad battery so if this new phone doesn't sort it I'm gonna have to look at another handset or even iOS.

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Is there a "sticky" thread somewhere with apps that have a nimbus of draining batteries?
I would have to add "Mobile@Work" to the list. Before this was installed I had 5+ hours SOT. Now I get 3.5 to 4 tops. Sadly I have to have this app to sync my work exchange mail and calendar, so I can't just get rid of it.

Would be nice to see other list their identified problem makers. I know ofc that the same app that makes problems on one device works fine on an other one. So the list would not be very conclusive, but it would be good to know, which apps are prone to battery-vampirism, so you can circle in the culprit a bit faster ;)

peajob91

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I have had this phone a couple of days and the battery life is horrendous! Fully charged this morning and now at 46% and hardly used it! I can literally see the battery going down everytime I use it. The first day I had it fully charged I barley used it apart from checking twitter a few times and by midnight it died!

-tried the fixes I.E cache wipe.
-turned off location + scanning etc.
-force stopping all background apps
-when I check the battery usage it says screen is the highest at 10% usage but the numbers dont even add up, when i read those figures it only accounts for about half of the battery life I have lost.
-awake time is not active during sleeping hours

edit: I just checked half an hour ago it said 48% : 18 hours left. now its 46% and 15 hours left ... I have not even touched the phone.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I have had this phone a couple of days and the battery life is horrendous! Fully charged this morning and now at 46% and hardly used it! I can literally see the battery going down everytime I use it. The first day I had it fully charged I barley used it apart from checking twitter a few times and by midnight it died!

-tried the fixes I.E cache wipe.
-turned off location + scanning etc.
-force stopping all background apps
-when I check the battery usage it says screen is the highest at 10% usage but the numbers dont even add up, when i read those figures it only accounts for about half of the battery life I have lost.
-awake time is not active during sleeping hours

edit: I just checked half an hour ago it said 48% : 18 hours left. now its 46% and 15 hours left ... I have not even touched the phone.

The percentages only add up to what has been used not total. Look at your signal strength. If it's crappy it will kill your battery life.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Phone signal is just over half at work, surley that can't be causing that?

What color is it on the battery graph? If it's green to dark green, no it shouldn't be causing it. If it's yellow-red, that will cause a decent battery drain.

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I installed tweet caster yesterday and today my battery life has been poor. Wasn't going into doze mode at all even using greenify. Battery life was down to 58% when I left work when usually up over 80.
I've uninstalled so will see what happens.
Mobile standby was the biggest user even over the screen.

Last edited:

dagactor

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Mine has been a disaster since the Verizon Marshmallow update with "Screen" as the typical culpret "Android OS" clocking in at #2. I did a factory reset, safe mode, cache wipe...something in the update must be causing this and it's pretty frustrating.

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Another one that hammered my battery was map my walk. Didn't show as high battery use itself but kept the phone awake and monitoring sensors. Used greenify to stop it but it just restarted itself.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I think all of you should turn off mobile data and see how it goes. I'm on Verizon and I don't get the same level of signal quality as I would on a Verizon branded phone , so I think that could be the cause, or at least A cause.