Long story short, I've gone through a few car chargers from Vinsic, as at first they would let my phone fast charge in the car as evidenced by the "charging rapidly" message.

This morning I tried my new replacement charger (as the old one stopped fast charging it seems) and my battery was around 97% when I got in. I plugged my phone into my car dock, which has a USB c cable, and only got the "charging" message and was pulling around 300A according to ampere.

Since the battery was almost full, will the message (and charge) just go into normal mode? I.E. will I get the rapid charge message once my battery is at 50%?

Or should the charging rapidly message show no matter what level the battery is at, as long as the equipment is capable of it?

I'm wondering if I got another bum car charger, or is perhaps the cable somehow isn't working properly?
    04-26-2016 08:30 AM
    If you're using the fast charger, I believe so.
    04-26-2016 08:40 AM
    Rapid charging only works when the battery is at least partially depleted. Once it gets above.. maybe 90% or so, the power management system steps own the current to allow for a 'soft' landing, which reduces the stress on the battery's cells. So if your phone is at 97%, you won't see 'charging rapidly'

If your phone is at a low level, say 40%, and you don't see the rapid charging message, then check cables, etc.
    04-26-2016 08:51 AM
    I could have sworn at home my phone says "charging rapidly" when I plug it into the wall, even when it's almost full, but I did turn 40 last year, so my memory is probably gone.........

I'll see on the car ride home as I usually am around 60% when I leave work.
    04-26-2016 09:24 AM
    So, my phone was around 73% when I left work. I plugged it into my car dock, and only got the normal charging message. When I open up Ampere, it tells me the max USB current is 1000 Ma.

When I got home, i immediately plugged it into my wall charger, and got the "charging rapidly" message, and Ampere showed 3000 as the max USB current.

So, I think no matter where the phone is battery wise, the "charging rapidly" message displays.

I'm going to try my OEM cable with the car charger tomorrow, to see if it's the cable on the car dock.
    04-26-2016 06:57 PM