Anyone get the May Security update OTA?

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Seems to take Google forever to push out the security updates OTA. Last month it was the middle of the month and I hadn't received it. Ended up flashing the April OTA security update, here we are entering the middle of the month and still no update. I can see taking a week to push out the updates, but when it goes into the 2nd and 3rd week that seems excessive. Yeah I know I could flash the image, but don't really want to have to completely setup the phone all over again. Yes, I'm stock just have an unlocked bootloader.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Jeez Louise, a little patience goes a long way. I always seem to get my update towards the end of the second week of the month. You could always get another phone and wait a few months!

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Seems to take Google forever to push out the security updates OTA. Last month it was the middle of the month and I hadn't received it. Ended up flashing the April OTA security update, here we are entering the middle of the month and still no update. I can see taking a week to push out the updates, but when it goes into the 2nd and 3rd week that seems excessive. Yeah I know I could flash the image, but don't really want to have to completely setup the phone all over again. Yes, I'm stock just have an unlocked bootloader.

You don't have to set up the phone again. Just sideload the update with wugfresh. It doesn't delete user data.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

You can flash without wiping device as long as you have an unlocked bootloader. and google just today started making OTA files available so you can side load as well.

Sammytheorangutan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
We get updates every month (give or take a bit). When I was with a carrier (which I have been until 2 months ago), I'd have been happy to get updates annually.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/ota

That's the link to OTA files if you want to flash them. I'm on the May update and I didn't lose a single app or file in the transition. The flash process is easy and there's step-by-step instructions on the website linked above.

I flashed it Monday so I can't tell yet if the battery issues have been resolved, but I can say that my reception has been better and I no longer automatically connect to the HSPA+ like I did before this update - I've only seen LTE and (only occasionally) 3G.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Oddly enough my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet already received the update but still nothing on my 6P.
I tried downloading the OTA file a couple of times but the download kept failing - perhaps the server was busy, so I'll give it another shot later.

GreatCanadian

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Oddly enough my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet already received the update but still nothing on my 6P.
I tried downloading the OTA file a couple of times but the download kept failing - perhaps the server was busy, so I'll give it another shot later.

I normally get the updates on my Nexus 9 in the first few days of the month, and get them for my 6p usually around the middle of the month.

GC

ljfong

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Just got it an hour ago on my Nexus 6. Patch level is May 1, 2016 and build number is MMB30G. I am on AT&T but I bought the handset directly from Motorola.

robrex

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Got it today on my Fi Nexus 6, no arrival on my 6p yet. LATER in the day it arrived for my 6p on Verizon!

Last edited:

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Same thing for me. I would think they'd send it to the newer devices first.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Just got mine today,UK On EE(Tmobile)always seems to arrive around the 2nd week of the month...although I`m still waiting for Marshmallow update on my Galaxy S6!