Is that safe to install latest N beta on my 6P?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Is there anyway to force the update onto my 6P? I signed up for the beta a couple days ago and still haven't received it. I keep checking for it in the setting but nothing.

I would really suggest you look into flashing the beta on your own. I mean, it's one of those valuable skills to know if you own a Nexus.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'll give it a shot, I've never done it before. Is it easy using a Mac?

I do not own one, so I can't say... but looking at the info online, it seems to be pretty much the same as the other platforms. It's a surprisingly easy and straightforward process wrapped up in a package that can frighten the hell out of a first time user. Once you get the environment set up on your Mac (which you need only do once) everything from there is gravy.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I would really suggest you look into flashing the beta on your own. I mean, it's one of those valuable skills to know if you own a Nexus.

Un-enroll and then re-enroll and see if that works!

I enrolled and it literally happened there & then

Make sure you're using the right email address too!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I do not own one, so I can't say... but looking at the info online, it seems to be pretty much the same as the other platforms. It's a surprisingly easy and straightforward process wrapped up in a package that can frighten the hell out of a first time user. Once you get the environment set up on your Mac (which you need only do once) everything from there is gravy.

It's easiest of all on a Mac. Install Android Studio, open terminal in the right directory and enter the commands. Honestly, that's all that is required.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I've got N running on Pixel C, 6P, 5X and 6. Most OS niggles are fixed.

I have some spots where I quickly jump between WiFi, Sprint and T-Mo on Fi. All three phones still have issues switching fast enough in those places, often needing a reboot or manually entering the Fi dialer codes for the right network to get it working again. Most places I have zero problems.

Would recommend, even on Fi.

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Jerry wee bit off topic but how you finding the N Beta on your Pixel C? I've got it on my 6p and think it's stable enough and want to try the Pixel C

Posted via the Android Central App

masterpfa

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I dare not install this on my Nexus 6P yet as I discovered that OTG to my DAC does not work especially as I tend to use USB Audio out a hell of a lot.
I have tried a few apps USB Audio Player Pro, Hiby Audio, different cables all with the same result.
Good thing I still have my Nexus 6P and OnePlus One otherwise my Mojo would be feeling left out.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
HBOGO is the only app I've found that doesn't work.

I've also noticed that I tend to be on HSPA more often than what I noticed before...but that my be my imagination.

RandomSF

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
OK. I join the beta program, receive N as a beta, later am upgraded to the release version, then I leave the beta program and my phone is not given an OTA that wipes my data. It merely stays on the release version.

Do I have this right?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Jerry wee bit off topic but how you finding the N Beta on your Pixel C? I've got it on my 6p and think it's stable enough and want to try the Pixel C

Posted via the Android Central App

Do it. Some apps don't work. Some apps get funky, but still work. But the OS itself is a solid beta — I'm not flashing back.

OK. I join the beta program, receive N as a beta, later am upgraded to the release version, then I leave the beta program and my phone is not given an OTA that wipes my data. It merely stays on the release version.

Do I have this right?

Not sure yet. That would be the easy way and the right way, but Google doesn't always do what is easy or right.

If I were to guess, I would guess that the way you describe is how it will happen.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

Do I have this right?

From what I recall, you do get an OTA when you leave the beta, or at least are supposed to. Despite being an OTA it does wipe the phone.

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Been an overall solid experience on my 6p with just a few hiccups (apps crashing, couple phone reboots). I'll likely stay on this path until the full release in the fall.

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site

Do I have this right?
It says in the documentation that all users in the preview will receive the release version (when released) and from there I'm assuming there would be no need to release an OTA that wipes phones unenrolling from the preview program because they're already on the release version. That said, I've been in some beta programs where they recommend a reinstall anyways before the release to clear out bugs, glitches etc. from previous builds

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
My only issues so far have been the phone not automatically connecting to wifi at home or work. Besides that, seems to work pretty well for me so far!

From my Nexus 6P or 5 via the cooler than cool Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae