Is that safe to install latest N beta on my 6P?

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, MKBHD on YouTube (he's usually a pretty reliable reviewer) said in his most recent video that the beta of Android N is stable enough to use on your daily driver.

Posted via my Nexus 6P on Verizon (or any d**n network I choose)

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I enrolled in the beta program and have been running it since last night. I really like it. I've had a couple apps crash but nothing major. In my opinion it's worth the minor issues to use N but everyone is different.

Posted via the Android Central App

tsparks1

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been using it on my 6P since first developer release and it's been great. I have had no issues with yesterdays release either. I'd say go for it, Back everything up and you can easily revert back if you aren't satisfied.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been running N since Preview 1. Preview 2 grew increasingly unstable until I did a factory reset which helped considerably. I got Preview 3 yesterday and it seems to be significantly better than Preview 2 but it won't be possible to really pass judgment on it for a couple of weeks. Preview 2 ran pretty well for a couple of weeks before it started to clog up, the symptoms were that thing would slow to a crawl until I killed everything with ES task manager or did a reboot which would fix things for a while. As I said at the beginning a factory reset fixed that problem. Preview 3 feels significantly faster than Preview 2 and hopefully it's more stable. I'm using it as my daily driver but I'm a techy who's comfortable with beta software, if you are comfortable with beta code then go for it but if you want maximum stability stick with M.

UPDATE: I've been running Preview 3 for a couple of days. It seems really solid and the performance is very snappy. I think its ready for wider use, it's not for just the extreme bleeding edge types anymore.

Last edited:

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I skipped the first two releases but when Google announced this version was considered beta quality - and demonstrated it by making Android Pay compatible - I installed it right away. I've seen one apparent graphic bug for less than a second, and I had to disable and reenable LastPass, but otherwise it's been solid.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Got the OTA a couple of days ago and it upgraded yesterday. Only two days on but not seeing any real issues so far.

Explicit

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Any particular apps not work with the beta? Also hearing the stock camera app doesn't work right. Can anyone confirm this to be true?

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Sygic doesn't work at all, MyFIOS kinda works (it says the login failed but it really didn't, you can access your account however it won't remember your login). Camera works fine.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I enrolled in the beta program and have been running it since last night. I really like it. I've had a couple apps crash but nothing major. In my opinion it's worth the minor issues to use N but everyone is different.

Is it hard to install the beta?

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
It will only wipe the phone if you opt out and want to go back to M. Other wise, opting in will get you N over the air just like any other OTA update.

Cool. I was planning on doing a wipe when the official release comes out anyway. I might give this a try. Does anyone know if Google Maps is okay with Android N? I need it for work this weekend

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Cool. I was planning on doing a wipe when the official release comes out anyway. I might give this a try. Does anyone know if Google Maps is okay with Android N? I need it for work this weekend

Google Maps is fine.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
During the announcement at the keynote, they were quite specific to say that this was stable enough for 'your primary device'. They also called it a beta release, not a developer preview.

As far as how easy it is to load... it's no harder than loading any other factory image.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
During the announcement at the keynote, they were quite specific to say that this was stable enough for 'your primary device'. They also called it a beta release, not a developer preview.

As far as how easy it is to load... it's no harder than loading any other factory image.

Sweet. Do you think most apps run with Android N?

Mickfl

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Just sign up and seconds later you get the otr. I have used it for a few days and probably my favorite thing is the notifications, no issues at all.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Just sign up and seconds later you get the otr. I have used it for a few days and probably my favorite thing is the notifications, no issues at all.

OK I did it! I really like it but it does seem a little bit laggy. Have any of you experienced that?