Is that safe to install latest N beta on my 6P?

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Runs great on my two year olg Nexus 6. I started with Release 1, went to @ and now have R3. Seems quite stable and smooth.

xiLLeNtz

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I ran the developer release and hated it. But that was the developer preview and wasn't really meant for everyone to use daily.

This though ... I got to say, it's usable. There are some bugs here and there. At first it was running really slow. I ended up taking the plunge and did a full factory reset and it works flawlessly.

I've only noticed one 'bug' so far. When I adjust the volume with the buttons I notice the sliders don't actually move but the volume does in fact change.

In WhatsApp the emoji selector takes up the whole screen rather than just the small keyboard area.. This may also be caused by the fact that I am enrolled in the WhatsApp beta program.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Sweet. Do you think most apps run with Android N?

Well, that's a lot of apps. :) I will say that when I loaded the B1 build, I used the restore function and it was able to restore all but two of the 130 apps that it had in the queue... Machinarium and Hungry Shark World. I haven't loaded all those remaining apps, of course, but everything I have run has worked. So it's a wait and see approach as far as what apps do well and which ones do not. But I suspect that it's not a stretch to assume most of them will. The framework in N isn't that altered... certainly not to the same level that we saw going from 4.4 to 5.0.

akwarner

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I installed the new N beta last night and ended up going back to Marshmallow in short order. None of the apps I have from the Amazon Appstore work. Every single one of them failed to run. Apps from the Play store seemed to all work quite well.

A.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I installed the new N beta last night and ended up going back to Marshmallow in short order. None of the apps I have from the Amazon Appstore work. Every single one of them failed to run. Apps from the Play store seemed to all work quite well.

A.

That's interesting. We just became Prime members so I downloaded the Amazon apps and they all work fine for me on the latest N update.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Any particular apps not work with the beta? Also hearing the stock camera app doesn't work right. Can anyone confirm this to be true?

My camera wouldn't work until I restarted the phone, but it's been fine for 8 hours.

Posted via the Android Central App

luvesuga

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
When I first got it, it threw me in a bootloop with no recovery. Did a full reset and it works flawlessly. There's only one app that I use that won't work. That dev said they won't be updating until after N is released. Camera works, no lag, no system crashes.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone noticed battery improvement using N? Right now with the May update, my 6P has been running pretty well and I've seen a noticeable increase (~10%) in battery performance vs the April update.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone noticed battery improvement using N? Right now with the May update, my 6P has been running pretty well and I've seen a noticeable increase (~10%) in battery performance vs the April update.

N has an enhanced Doze feature, so it'll idle better than M will. A less strict Doze kicks in quickly, with the full Doze coming in when it normally would.

Plus, I have a suspicion that they squashed a big somewhere in the kernel between April and May... even on 6, May seemed to be a tick better.

migdier

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been running it for a couple days as well on my 6P and every app I use runs just fine. Doze is better as well. I like the little improvements to settings, notifications and the quick access.

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I've had no major issues here apart from the settings app crashing every now and then, and some small things that I can live with. Really loving the split screen multitasking though

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just installed it today and I'm hoping it fixes the random popping I hear while listening to music on Bluetooth and the Auto-Brightness glitch where the display randomly changes levels for no reason.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Cool! I'm noticing my system app crashes a lot. And also when I'm in the preferences and then a notification center that seems to freeze up a lot as well

I had a camera crash today (while taking 3 dozen videos as my daughter tested for her blue belt) that required a reboot before the app would work again. It's the most severe thing that's happened to me so far, but in the end really wasn't a big deal (it let the phone dissipate some heat while it restarted at least).

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Installed it this morning myself, no issues to report of

I let it do its thing and then rebooted the phone again, just as a precautionary etc...

All the apps I have work with no issues; just haven't tried out the Bluetooth connection in my car yet, but will trial that later etc :)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried the Bluetooth but so far I've noticed my Ambient Light sensor has been much more stable. I'm really hoping this continues because it's a promising thing to see. :)

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
No issues for me so far other than seemed to have lost the ability to start the camera from a double tap of the power button. Anyone else get that to work?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2