Is that safe to install latest N beta on my 6P?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone noticed battery improvement using N? Right now with the May update, my 6P has been running pretty well and I've seen a noticeable increase (~10%) in battery performance vs the April update.

Improvement, not really. But it hasn't gotten worse. I believe it should get better because of the way Doze works on N but nothing noticeable for me yet.

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Improvement, not really. But it hasn't gotten worse. I believe it should get better because of the way Doze works on N but nothing noticeable for me yet.

I really enjoyed the N beta but my battery life was worse than Marshmallow. I also had some small bugs with a couple of native apps, so I look forward to the ironing of the bugs to re-install.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I really enjoyed the N beta but my battery life was worse than Marshmallow. I also had some small bugs with a couple of native apps, so I look forward to the ironing of the bugs to re-install.

Battery life has been noticeably worse for me too. I'll probably revert back to Marshmallow.

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
My battery life has improved a bit since installing the N beta, but is has always been pretty good. I've noticed that a few of the native Android apps, i.e. Google Now, Clock have been updated recently on Marshmallow, but aren't being updated on "N", A few of my third party apps don't work or are flakey, but I can live without them on my N6P for the time being. All the major stuff like Textra Pro and Google Phone dialer work as they should. BTW, Textra is updating their great SMS app as needed to run on "N". Their current update fixed a Notification tray bug I informed them about.

Angry Hulk

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinking of enrolling in the Android N beta on my 6p. Does anyone know if my device will be permanently enrolled for future betas or if once I'm on final build I'll be removed from betas? If permanent does that mean any future Android release will be automatically downloaded to my device (ex. Android O) until I opt out?

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of enrolling in the Android N beta on my 6p. Does anyone know if my device will be permanently enrolled for future betas or if once I'm on final build I'll be removed from betas? If permanent does that mean any future Android release will be automatically downloaded to my device (ex. Android O) until I opt out?

The beta enrollment is really just for the current N test cycle. Once N is out, everything gets reset 'back to normal'.

If Google does what they've done in the past, there won't be an OTA to go to the final release from any of the betas... you'll have to wipe the phone (which I would do ANYHOW coming from a beta release).

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I am considering going back to M for a bit as I have noticed that this beta build still gets 'stale' a bit if the phone hasn't been rebooted in a while. Little things... coming out of lock, using the quick launch on the camera, etc. Stuff just starts to sputter and cough a bit if its been a few days. Which isn't a big deal though, beta software is beta, no? There's a lot more kinks that need to be ironed out, and at least I can kind of anticipate this one.

Other than that, this runs extremely well. Battery life has improved, I'd say, about 15% due to the newer Doze at idle. A couple of apps aren't working... but other than that, it's been excellent. Maybe I'll stick on N for a bit longer... not sure.

Angry Hulk

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
Honestly it sounds like the pros outweigh the cons and Google has been good at providing updates that improve the beta experience. Downloading now.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
The beta enrollment is really just for the current N test cycle. Once N is out, everything gets reset 'back to normal'.

If Google does what they've done in the past, there won't be an OTA to go to the final release from any of the betas... you'll have to wipe the phone (which I would do ANYHOW coming from a beta release).

Actually, it sounds as if Google is changing things this year. They state on the Beta overview page, "At the conclusion of the Developer Preview, your enrolled devices will receive an update to the official Android N release." I recall seeing in other articles, that they have stated people in the beta will get the final Android N OTA and should not wipe the phone.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

Well, if that's the case I might as well revert back to MM. I can now say been there, got the tshirt.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it sounds as if Google is changing things this year. They state on the Beta overview page, "At the conclusion of the Developer Preview, your enrolled devices will receive an update to the official Android N release." I recall seeing in other articles, that they have stated people in the beta will get the final Android N OTA and should not wipe the phone.

Ah, you're right. Though to be honest, I'd suggest a full wipe when going to the full N release... whether you came from the beta or M.

Angry Hulk

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
Ah, you're right. Though to be honest, I'd suggest a full wipe when going to the full N release... whether you came from the beta or M.

Excuse my ignorance on betas. What's the difference between factory resetting after updating to full release vs just updating to full N release and not resetting phone?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance on betas. What's the difference between factory resetting after updating to full release vs just updating to full N release and not resetting phone?

It's all about data... specifically app runtime data. When you install an app, it compiles some stuff and stashes it away in your data partition... this speeds up launching the app, etc. Now, when Google releases an update, there is often changes to the framework that could affect something that a particular app needs to operate correctly. Sometimes, all is good and there is cross compatibility, but other times, there is a slight difference in behavior and the old data isn't 100% kosher with the new framework and runtime. When this happens, the app or function can force close or just run like dog poo.

Now Google has been fussing around with the runtime stuff for the past couple of releases, and N should see another major overhaul... if you've ever been stuck at "Optimizing Apps..." with M, you'll see a drastic reduction in the amount of time that takes on N. That "optimizing apps..." stuff is the OS recompiling those application runtimes to reflect some sort of system change. Maybe they've cleaned up some of the stuff that deals with data from earlier versions of Android. After all, upgrades are often a pain point for smartphone users... "Android X ruined my phone!" is a common thread here.

You don't HAVE to do a factory reset after a major update... there's no harm in trying it out. But I would have it on a VERY short leash. If you start to see odd behavior, weird force closing apps (like Phone, or Settings, etc).... reset that sucker.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I joined the beta and installed it last night. I really like the various improvements and perfecting of existing features. All but one of my apps worked fine. Today I ran into all these problems with YouTube and Chromecasting. Then weird problems with voice interactions that inserted things I didn't say and ended up freezing up the phone periodically.

I did send in reports of everything when they happened.

I know it's beta. I really like how they let you install it OTA. But - I use those features so I am rolling back to MM.

Can't wait for the stable build! Really looking good so far!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I did send in reports of everything when they happened.

I know it's beta. I really like how they let you install it OTA. But - I use those features so I am rolling back to MM.

Can't wait for the stable build! Really looking good so far!

*Slow clap*

Boil that attitude down and spray it on everyone who opts into the beta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze