My 6p arrived from Amazon last week and I have not activated it yet. I finally gave in after the N beta release at I/O. I've been using the Moto X Pure since release and have really enjoyed it but my confidence in updates (and Moto in general) has dwindled so I pulled the trigger.
    My question/concern though is the 6p's durability. Specifically with dirt and grime. It will be exposed to its share of dust and use with sometimes less than clean hands. So to get to the point, I'm concerned about the FPS and the glass over the camera. I will be putting a diztronic tpu on it but does anyone use their 6p in similar conditions? I know it's gorilla glass 4 but is camera lens scratching a problem? Does the FPS work reliably over time when exposed to less than clean fingers and environment?

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-23-2016 08:13 AM
    If you are going to be using your phone with dirty muddy hands then I don't think it will last. I'd have gotten an iPhone so I could get one of the waterproof and scratch proof cases. Not sure anyone makes a waterproof case for the 6P?
    05-23-2016 04:43 PM
    The only phone that's specifically targeted at that kind of market is the Caterpillar (the bulldozer people), but that's a low spec phone. The 6p should be as durable as any other smartphone. I'd just be careful, keep it in you shirtpocket which should protect it well enough and wipe you hands if they are really dirty. The finger print sensor looks like it can be wiped off but I wouldn't abuse it.
    05-23-2016 04:49 PM
    The only phone that's specifically targeted at that kind of market is the Caterpillar (the bulldozer people), but that's a low spec phone. The 6p should be as durable as any other smartphone. I'd just be careful, keep it in you shirtpocket which should protect it well enough and wipe you hands if they are really dirty. The finger print sensor looks like it can be wiped off but I wouldn't abuse it.
    Samsung active is as well.
    05-23-2016 05:24 PM
    Thanks for the advice. Being on US Cellular the CAT and Active are probably not going to be an option unfortunately. And I really do take good care of my devices in most aspects it's just dust and dirty hands that are pretty much unavoidable. It feels well made, I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Is there any recommendations on what to use to clean the FPS? I've got wipes I use for cleaning sunglasses that I use on my screens, not sure if it would adversely affect the sensor.

05-23-2016 05:53 PM
    I own a landscaping business and use the 6p with a supcase rugged holster. My hands are almost always full of dirt and grime. The 6p has held up perfectly fine with this case. And I've had the phone since week 2 of release

hilgerone, tsparks1 and jojoe42 like this.
    05-23-2016 06:13 PM
    I own a landscaping business and use the 6p with a supcase rugged holster. My hands are almost always full of dirt and grime. The 6p has held up perfectly fine with this case. And I've had the phone since week 2 of release

THAT is what I was hoping to hear. Definitely the same kind of day to day environment as myself. Is the holster holding up well? I'm pretty sure that it won't fit in the carpenter jeans leg pocket with that case.

05-23-2016 06:28 PM
    I have the unicorn beetle case and I love it. I work in an environment where I have to climb in attics etc and it holds up great. I've even spilt water on it. Great case

05-23-2016 06:49 PM
    My 6p arrived from Amazon last week and I have not activated it yet. I finally gave in after the N beta release at I/O. I've been using the Moto X Pure since release and have really enjoyed it but my confidence in updates (and Moto in general) has dwindled so I pulled the trigger.
    My question/concern though is the 6p's durability. Specifically with dirt and grime. It will be exposed to its share of dust and use with sometimes less than clean hands. So to get to the point, I'm concerned about the FPS and the glass over the camera. I will be putting a diztronic tpu on it but does anyone use their 6p in similar conditions? I know it's gorilla glass 4 but is camera lens scratching a problem? Does the FPS work reliably over time when exposed to less than clean fingers and environment?

I am a landscaper that works with hardscapes. I build patios, walls, pathways, work with stone and concrete and cut the stone and concrete also. My hands are always grimy and my phone gets covered in fire stone dust often. I have a unicorn beetle case and tempered glass screen protector on it. I use it in wet and damp environments also as I am outside working all the time. Every night when I get home I use my vacuum cleaner hose with a brush attachment on the end 2 vacuum off the front and charging port and headphone jack. I've had my 6p sense the end of December and it still looks and works perfectly. If you're going to use your phone in an environment like that, just make sure it's protected and cleaned everyday. I've had several phones and protect them all this way and they've always held up fine.

Via the Android Central App
    hilgerone likes this.
    05-23-2016 10:33 PM
    For those that have the supcase unicorn beetle, does it mess with your screen protector at all. I see about a 50/50 in reviews of the case whether or not it peels up the protector.

05-24-2016 09:24 AM
    For those that have the supcase unicorn beetle, does it mess with your screen protector at all. I see about a 50/50 in reviews of the case whether or not it peels up the protector.

I use the built in protector. I know not the best, but it has been working for me and holding up.

hilgerone likes this.
    05-24-2016 09:36 AM

The Supcase is a good choice. Otterbox type protection at a fraction of the price. Bought one myself, actually have two, one for my Note 5 as well.
    hilgerone likes this.
    05-24-2016 10:00 AM

I use tempered glass screen protectors and it doesn't interfere with them at all. But, I would guess it would interfere with a film type screen protector based on how stiff the edges are and how it fits over the edge of the screen

Via the Android Central App
    hilgerone likes this.
    05-24-2016 10:14 PM
    I think it can handle abuse pretty well for it being a premium device. I work in retail and since I've had mine its been naked. It's been dropped on concrete, asphalt, tile flooring and I'm a tad clumsy so it even fell in my cats water bowl it submerged before I could get it out. Still the Nexus 6P has been able to take the shocks, and drops and function just fine. Mine isn't even scratched yet. Phone, camera, fps all running great. Now I do agree about getting a good case for it. I just haven't one that I liked yet. I think a farm would be no problem. Good luck.

hilgerone likes this.
    05-25-2016 06:38 PM
    Thanks for all the advice. Picked up a diztronic and the supcase unicorn. Can't get over the fit/finish of the supcase for such a fair price. And of course the diztronic is a great fit as usual. The Mr Shield tempered glass is a perfect fit with both cases.
    05-26-2016 12:19 PM
    Sure it'll be fine on the farm, just strap it on your 3 point hitch

hilgerone likes this.
    05-26-2016 03:10 PM