06-05-2016 03:14 PM
26 12
tools
    So just wondering how you all charge your 6P and what everyone thinks are the "best charging practices" ? Here's what I do: sometimes I'll leave my phone charging overnight (plugged in all night), going to bed around 11:30 p.m. and waking up at 6:45 a.m. I charged it this way last night, leaving the phone plugged in overnight, woke up just before 7 a.m., started using my phone and within literally 2-3 minutes the battery dropped from 100% to 98%. Also, at work I get really poor coverage so sometimes I'll charge my phone at work and leave with a full battery (off work at 6 p.m.) When I leave work with a full battery, I won't charge my phone overnight at home, I may charge it for a bit before bed but then I fully charge it at work the next morning, plugging in around 10 a.m. Is it better to deplete most of rhe battery and then fully recharge or charge a little bit here and there throughout the day? Just want to get thoughts/input regarding this.

Note- at home I use the original charger and I bought an extra original charger from google- which is the one I use at work. I'm also stock, on all the latest updates and I don't have gasbuddy app and I don't have/use any social media. Purchased my phone in March.

*6P 64 gb Graphite (AT&T)*
    *iPad Air 2 64 gb Space Gray (AT&T)*
    05-26-2016 11:00 PM
    I leave mine on the charger overnight. I usually get 4hrs of screen on time from a full charge, and I'll charge it when it gets in the 10-20% range.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-26-2016 11:05 PM
    I've gotten into the habit of charging the phone overnight, however with the purchase of a powerbank and also the rapid charging I'm trying to get into the habit of only charging the battery when I need to. It's better to not charge a lithium-ion battery fully nor drain it all the way, as this puts chemical stress on the battery. They're pretty much designed for small top offs instead of being drained all the way down unlike the traditional Ni-Cd batteries which DO require proper charging cycles. Ideally you should try to top off your battery so that it sits between 20-80%
    05-27-2016 05:15 AM
    Thank you everyone for the feedback!

05-27-2016 09:51 AM
    Recharge when it's low? Also overnight? You really don't have to think about it, they arn't Ni-Cd's. Anyone who says there is some magical proper way of charging your phone is full of it. This is up there with resetting your battery stats or whatever dumb crap people did.
    05-27-2016 12:00 PM
    Recharge when it's low? Also overnight? You really don't have to think about it, they arn't Ni-Cd's. Anyone who says there is some magical proper way of charging your phone is full of it. This is up there with resetting your battery stats or whatever dumb crap people did.
    Not necessarily a "magical way" of recharging your phone, but batteries do have a lifespan cycle. So just to simplify things, let's say after 500 charge cycles the battery begins to degrade. I tend to keep phones about 2 years, so I'm just trying to see what's the best way to get the most mileage out of my 6P's battery, especially since it's non-removable.

05-27-2016 12:12 PM
    Here is what I do and has worked really well for many many years.

Plug the phone to the charger when needed and not worry about anything else. Will also just plug in the phone to charger every night before going to bed.
    05-27-2016 01:17 PM
    Here is what I do and has worked really well for many many years.

Plug the phone to the charger when needed and not worry about anything else. Will also just plug in the phone to charger every night before going to bed.
    Agreed, don't worry about it.
    05-29-2016 06:35 PM
    I look at my battery. When it needs juice I plug it in (which is rare with the 6P). Because of rapid charge usually 10-15 minutes will get me through whatever the rest of the day holds. I also plug mine in while I sleep 'cause there is a charger there and why not?
    tsparks1, ansextra and cwbcpa like this.
    05-31-2016 12:13 PM
    I look at my battery. When it needs juice I plug it in (which is rare with the 6P). Because of rapid charge usually 10-15 minutes will get me through whatever the rest of the day holds. I also plug mine in while I sleep 'cause there is a charger there and why not?
    Exactly what happens here...
    06-02-2016 11:33 AM
    I charge to full before I go to bed at night and then I take it off the charger. With doze the battery is still at 95 - 97% when I get up in the morning. That's good enough for me and that way I don't have the battery on charge for many hours overnight.
    06-02-2016 06:51 PM
    Seems to me a few sure make an easy task difficult lol
    06-02-2016 06:52 PM
    Seems to me a few sure make an easy task difficult lol
    Hmm... yes and no. The thing with this phone having a quick charger, Idk if leaving it charging overnight may potentially degrade/damage the battery since the phone charges fast. If people think this is a dumb question, you don't need to comment. Carry on and keep walking.

06-02-2016 09:04 PM
    I charge to full before I go to bed at night and then I take it off the charger. With doze the battery is still at 95 - 97% when I get up in the morning. That's good enough for me and that way I don't have the battery on charge for many hours overnight.
    Yeah I get you.

06-02-2016 09:06 PM
    I may be an outlier here. I charge overnight. I plug it in to my car on the way to work for Android Auto. Plug it in again when I'm out for lunch, again Android Auto and again on the way home for Android Auto.

Nexus 6P
    Chevy Spark - Android Auto
    06-02-2016 11:11 PM
    The most stress in the battery happens when the charge drops below approx 40%. This stresses the battery more than charging when needed or leaving it charging overnight.

06-03-2016 09:11 AM
    This topic comes up from time to time... but here are a few simple things to remember.

The chemistry of these batteries is light-years better than the old nickle based lumps in devices of the past. Those suckers were temperamental beasts. These lithium based cells are a lot more forgiving, but they still have a couple of things you need to keep in mind.

1) Don't make a habit of killing them. If you consistently due deep-cycle discharges on these cells, you reduce their lifespan. Eventually, you'll find that it'll start to charge slower and discharge faster. Now, if it happens a couple of times, that's fine, but if your usual practice is to wait for that little battery icon to get all angry and red, you run the risk of putting that battery in an early grave.

2) Also don't make a habit of leaving a fully charged phone sit on a charger for an extended period of time. This one isn't nearly as severe as running it to empty, but it is still not all that healthy a thing to do. When your phone is still plugged in when it is fully charged, it basically goes through a bunch of mini-charge cycles... LiPo batteries don't really like this all that much and it can stress the cells, shortening their lifespan. For devices that need sit on a charger ready to go, ALWAYS.... like radios for search and rescue teams... or flashlights for firefighters, these devices are sometimes put on chargers that hold them at lower charge level, usually between 80 and 85% of the actual full charge. Here, those things can sit on the charger for days on end without nearly as much stress on the cell. Sure, you lose a bit of charge, but you won't be in a position where your doo-dad dies after 5 minutes because its battery has gone into the toilet.

3) Avoid heat... heat bad. Heat make battery go spitzen-sparken and ruin day.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-03-2016 10:43 AM
    2) Also don't make a habit of leaving a fully charged phone sit on a charger for an extended period of time.
    As I noted upthread, if Doze is working properly and you have time to charge the phone to 100% before you go to bed, there's really no reason to keep the phone on the charger overnight. It should be at +/-96% the next morning and that +/-4% difference isn't going to impact real life usage for the day.
    LeoRex likes this.
    06-03-2016 05:54 PM
    Thanks everyone for your input!

06-04-2016 07:12 PM
    If you are charging your phone overnight, if you wake up in the middle of the night and it's sitting on a charge, unplug it. If it's sitting on a charge for a little while, I don't think it's that bad; but don't make a habit of it being plugged in for too long. At least batteries have come so far as to know to stop charging nowadays, so as long as you unplug and be sure to not leave it plugged in for eight hours, etc, that is good.

06-04-2016 08:04 PM
    If you are charging your phone overnight, if you wake up in the middle of the night and it's sitting on a charge, unplug it. If it's sitting on a charge for a little while, I don't think it's that bad; but don't make a habit of it being plugged in for too long. At least batteries have come so far as to know to stop charging nowadays, so as long as you unplug and be sure to not leave it plugged in for eight hours, etc, that is good.

Batteries haven't had the overcharging problem in a long long time. The phone controls the charging, when it's done charging it stops. It's that simple. Plug this thing in whenever you feel like you need to.

06-04-2016 08:46 PM
    Batteries haven't had the overcharging problem in a long long time. The phone controls the charging, when it's done
    It's not a matter of overcharging..i.e. charging the battery to too high a voltage. It's a matter of putting the cells under stress as they go through a bunch of small charge cycles while at peak charge. When you leave a fully charged phone on a charger, it bounces up against that peak voltage, over and over. LiPO batteries don't like that all that much.

Now, it's not like chucking the battery into a fire or hitting it with a hammer, but it still shortens the lifespan of the battery.
    06-04-2016 09:10 PM
    06-05-2016 05:38 AM
    There are lot of articles over the internet regarding this topic. Some of them contradict. but, the general consensus seems to be -
    1. Modern day lithium ion batteries do not suffer from the memory effect. So, no need to completely discharge and charge it to 100% time and again.
    2. 0% and 100% are the values that these batteries don't like much. But, the tendency of people to change phone quite often negates that point more often than not.
    3. Heat is one of the greatest enemy.
    4. Somewhere around 40% and 80% charge will give you the longest life.

Personally, I charge my phone daily morning while I get ready for the day for around 35 - 45 minutes. The battery level is usually around 30 - 40% at that time. And while unplugging, it would be around 80 - 90%. I don't fret a lot if the values are less or more. I've been following this for past couple of years and I am yet to face battery degradation( On my previous devices, I used to charge for around an hour or more). And I use a device for approximately 2 years.
    06-05-2016 05:56 AM
    It's not a matter of overcharging..i.e. charging the battery to too high a voltage. It's a matter of putting the cells under stress as they go through a bunch of small charge cycles while at peak charge. When you leave a fully charged phone on a charger, it bounces up against that peak voltage, over and over. LiPO batteries don't like that all that much.

Now, it's not like chucking the battery into a fire or hitting it with a hammer, but it still shortens the lifespan of the battery.
    like I said, I wouldn't over think it. Just charge it. I'm sure the charging circuit takes care of all that stuff.

06-05-2016 02:59 PM
26 12