Sold my S7 Edge to switch to 6P and Project Fi

DistortionStatic

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I just got my Nexus 6P 2 weeks ago and so far I love it. I recently sold my Galaxy S7 Edge so I could switch to Project Fi, and I'm so happy I did. I've had an HTC one, LG G3, and Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and S7 Edge, and this is my favorite by far.

I'm not gonna lie and say there aren't some things I miss about T-Mobile and the Edge, like the Edge's superior 3D game performance and and T-Mobile's Jump program and Binge On, but I feel like Project Fi and the 6P more than make up for it. I will save way more money with Fi, as the majority of the time I can access WiFi, and the VPN assist for WiFi is useful and in my experience works well.

The 6P is the first phone I've ever rooted, and it's a joy to try all the different ROMs and configurations and see how they affect the phone. This is one of the main reasons I considered the phone, as I knew the Nexus brand to be very friendly towards rooting, and the fact that it doesn't even void the warranty is just icing on the cake.

I'm also loving the front facing speakers and large screen. It makes watching videos a more enjoyable experience, and even with the screen size differential being only .2 inches it's enough combined with the speakers to make a difference.

The camera is great, in my opinion it's almost as good if not just as good as the Edge, and the front facing camera actually captures better detail than the Edge's. The only thing I'm jealous of is the Edge's video quality, as it stabilized better and has better recorded sound, but I don't record many videos so it doesn't really matter to me. It's also such a smooth phone, everything feels quick and zippy, I'm surprised how much of a difference stock Android actually makes.

I would recommend this phone to anyone, even those who don't plan on modding. I just hope HTC can expand on what they've accomplished here and make the next one's just as great

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Congrats! Both are awesome phones. I got my 6P in December, and ever since the S7 Edge was announced, I've been jealous. It seems like a very slick phone with an amazing screen, camera, build, etc. But, it's not a Nexus and won't get fast updates to N and beyond, so I'll have to pass. If they ever brought back the Google Play Edition program for the S7/Edge, I'd be all over it.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very much for this, I;ve been contemplating all day on whether i should go for the 6P or not. My current G4 is performing poorly reception wise, right now my carrier has 6P for $0 but i wasnt sure if it felt outdated (PocketNow says its performance can vary which concerned me). I am about ready to take the plunge...

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I want a stock android S7E. Hiw heaven that would be, themes arent the same, my edge isnt nearly as silky or fluid as my 6P, faster yes, but not silky smooth with every animation

Posted via Nexus 6P

DistortionStatic

May 27, 2016
Visit site
@3450 yeah the Edge really is a beautiful phone with great hardware, you really can't go wrong with either one, it just comes down to personal preference. Up until I got the Nexus the S7 Edge was my favorite phone I've ever had.

@chezm it doesn't feel like a step down at all for me coming from the Edge, the only thing I would say the Edge has a definite advantage is graphics intensive gaming, so if that's important to you I would probably go with the Edge, otherwise the 6P should be just fine.

@Seremedy that would be amazing, I've always been a fan of their hardware. It would be awesome if they teamed up for another Nexus.

@ansextra me either, it really is a great phone and a great service, as long as you rely on wifi a good amount that is.

I was nervous when I actually committed to selling the Edge and buying the Nexus, because I had no prior experience to fall back on for Nexus phones, and like I said I really did love the Edge too. One of the main motivating factors was Samsungs problem with their phones lagging after months of use. I hadn't personally run into this with my own S6 Edge thankfully, but my girlfriend's Galaxy S6 started slowing to a crawl about 7 months after she got it. We even tried factory resetting it, which would work for a couple days, but before a week was over it would be acting up again. The same thing happened to her mom and sister, who are both Galaxy S5 users. My own S7 Edge was acting fine after 2 months of use, but I didn't particularly care to see if the same fate would happen to me. It was also incredibly ridiculous how often my web pages reloaded themselves on my S6 Edge, although with the S7 that seemed to improve greatly. I just wish they could get it together with their software.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
For me Fi is perfect as I telework and am almost always on wifi. I've also found that Fi finds hotspots for wifi I wasn't even aware existed and connects to them automatically. The other great advantage for me is that everything goes through Hangouts so I can answer SMS on my PC. I could do that before when I had Google Voice but now it's my main number so it makes even more sense. Love it!

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
my days of buying carrier phones are over, so Samsung isn't even an option anymore.

I do think security updates are overrated, but I know that when October/November rolls around and the newest version of Android is released, I wouldn't want to wait 6 months for the update.

And although much improved, I still don't like TW, it's just not for me ... plus the edge really bothers my eyes after only a few minutes. I ordered my 6p at launch and i have no regrets. The volume button placement should be higher (I've gotten used to it though), active display is inconsistent and the camera software isn't great, but overall it's an amazing device.

I'm looking forward to an enhanced Doze mode, multi windows and better notifications on 7.0 .... a 6 month wait for those features would be excruciating. One thing I just don't get with Google though is why they insist on not offering dark mode. It's unbelievable. I'm also hoping for a better camera app and improvements to active display.

This is one of the few phones that actually gets better with time. I'll never say never, the HTC 10 really caught my interest (not as a replacement, but a work phone) but I just don't see myself going with anything other than Nexus phones at this point ... certainly not for a Samsung.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
@chezm it doesn't feel like a step down at all for me coming from the Edge, the only thing I would say the Edge has a definite advantage is graphics intensive gaming, so if that's important to you I would probably go with the Edge, otherwise the 6P should be just fine.

Picked up my 6P today! My gosh this phone is outstanding, I am in love...best Android experience. I really did love my S6, but needed to use Nova since I hate TW...this is the first phone in a while where I'm not gonna use Nova, testing out Google launcher and it works fantastic on this device.

Anyway just wanted to share my amazing news, loving this device and so happy to be part of the club. So glad I can finally type and not constantly screw up or mistype...big screen is just awesome.

Posted via the Android Central App

IdemanEric

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm very happy with FI and have never regretted the switch. The 6P is the first phone I have owned that will keep me happy through an entire cycle. Wish they would make a V2 so I could just stay happy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar