From now on, Nexus phones will come with the bloatware

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
They didn't use the word bloatware, but that's obviously what it is. So enjoy the Nexus 6p, it may be the last in the line with this major advantage over other androids.

Posted via the Android Central App

There's 0 information in the interview that leads to the conclusion that any bloatware will be added to Nexus devices (outside of those like preinstalled apps they already have on all Nexus devices and most Android devices, which most would not consider to be bloat). What Sundar said was that they could add in more thoughtful features and work more closely with the OEM on the design of the phone and on the hardware. So that means, Google is intending to more involved with the process than in prior generations. He didn't say, "we're going to preinstall facebook and bank of america and cleanmaster" or anything of the sort.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
It's funny how people confuse adding features with adding bloatware. Adding more features to stock Android means adding useful things like multi window or night mode to features that already exist, like Doze and Now On Tap. Bloatware is software that is useLESS, that virtually no one uses, that takes up valuable storage space, like a system "cleaner " that touts performance improvement. There's a big difference.

Last edited:

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Is Doze bloatware? What about Google Now, or the new native fingerprint API? Here is a screenshot of On Tap (a feature more useful than many people realize), which can recognize via the camera app, as well as select text. I am sure you'll see much more added.

View attachment 229228

Is that bloatware? Because this is the sort of thing that I believe Pichai was referring to. He's not talking about adding Clean Master to the next Nexus.

Doze, On Tap, and the fingerprint API are features, yes. I believe those are the types of things Sundar is referring to. You used the perfect example of Clean Master-- now THAT is bloatware.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What a horrible article and people are actually angry.

iPhone has more bloatware than Nexus.

I think people are getting angry without having all the information. People are going off with pitchforks (ok, a little melodramatic...) over a blip and not seeing what the result it. Like a few other people have added to the thread earlier is there is a difference between bloatware and more features.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I would be thrilled to get the moto active display on my nexus. Biggest feature i miss coming from the droid maxx. The Google version just isn't very good. At least not compared to what I had on my maxx

Me too! The direction Lenovo is going with Moto is starting to turn me off, but the Moto active display is awesome. Will be tough to live without on another phone.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think people are getting angry without having all the information. People are going off with pitchforks (ok, a little melodramatic...) over a blip and not seeing what the result it. Like a few other people have added to the thread earlier is there is a difference between bloatware and more features.
I think people are actually more angry with so-called "tech news" websites misinterpreting information and then disseminating their take on it as fact.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think people are actually more angry with so-called "tech news" websites misinterpreting information and then disseminating their take on it as fact.

This. The simple fact is Sundar never said that stuff - so everyone that's reprinting without a single independent thought is just being flat out irresponsible and they're damaging the tech community by being false.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
That's nonsense. Is Google Now launcher "bloat"? How about Google's phone dialer?

Google is simply gonna add some more neat features similar to how they do it now or how Motorola was doing it.

If you thought Nexus is running "pure" Android you are mistaken

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
it depends on how you define bloatware... Some definite bloatware as unnecessary preloaded software. Now the problem is that it could be unnecessary to some but necessary to others. So what one person considers bloatware can be a very useful app or tool to another person.

I do agree that Google will try to add useful and innovative apps or features ... But are you personally going to have a need for them? The term bloat is pretty vague to me.

With that said Google I would imagine would provide apps and features useful to many people, instead of preloading junk just to line their pockets.

Highly doubt this is about apps. Most likely it's some deeply integrated service/features that will make Nexus standout from the crowd. Is it bloat if you don't use it? I don't think so.... because if it's tightly integrated into OS then it makes no sense for Google to waste time making it "uninstallable". I don't use many OS features but it doesn't mean it's bloat

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Highly doubt this is about apps. Most likely it's some deeply integrated service/features that will make Nexus standout from the crowd. Is it bloat if you don't use it? I don't think so.... because if it's tightly integrated into OS then it makes no sense for Google to waste time making it "uninstallable". I don't use many OS features but it doesn't mean it's bloat

Right. As long as I don't start seeing VZ Navigator, and Sprint TV I think I'll be okay.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I've only ever had Nexus devices (One, Galaxy Nexus, 5 and 7(2013), and even though I've been a Nexus or die, I've never even rooted any of them. During each of those device releases, HTC, Samsung LG, and Asus, all had some feature of their non-Nexus devices that I wish my Nexus had, with LG's Knock-On being the one I really, really, really wanted. Yeah, sometimes Nexus has been too bare-bones, and the hot feature of that year would have been great to have without rooting.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Well, they care about traffic. And many will drum up traffic with clickbait... take a benign comment like this and turn it into some controversy.

kenrico

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Heck, I would like ir blaster, controllable multicolor led, dual radios for cdma, external sd card slot and a built in FM radio. Oh and a wireless charging capability. No bloatware needed for any of them. None of them are required by stock android. It's the company specific high ram UI I hate in name brands as well as thr bloatware.

Hah ! You just described the Sprint S5 .. with the purchase of a wireless back or charging view case , you get wireless charging and mine has a radio , IR blaster & SD card slot ..

I keep looking for a better phone because this one is older than 2 years now..but even the S7 is clocked lower and IMHO is a step backwards..

Kenny

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Hah ! You just described the Sprint S5 .. with the purchase of a wireless back or charging view case , you get wireless charging and mine has a radio , IR blaster & SD card slot ..

I keep looking for a better phone because this one is older than 2 years now..but even the S7 is clocked lower and IMHO is a step backwards..

Kenny
But only one radio so in the few areas Sprint has coverage you still can't use data simultaneously with phone call.
The Note 3 and Note 4 (with wireless back) have all the features I mentioned except fm radio. I like simultaneous call and data better than fm radio.

I think the Note 4 was the last dual radio phone made by any manufacturer.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary