06-13-2016 03:18 PM
134 1234 ...
tools
    What a horrible article and people are actually angry.

iPhone has more bloatware than Nexus.
    I think people are getting angry without having all the information. People are going off with pitchforks (ok, a little melodramatic...) over a blip and not seeing what the result it. Like a few other people have added to the thread earlier is there is a difference between bloatware and more features.
    xtremevicky likes this.
    06-04-2016 09:08 AM
    Clickbait at best ...
    16BitBeard and anon(9072051) like this.
    06-04-2016 09:53 AM
    I would be thrilled to get the moto active display on my nexus. Biggest feature i miss coming from the droid maxx. The Google version just isn't very good. At least not compared to what I had on my maxx

Posted via the Android Central App
    Me too! The direction Lenovo is going with Moto is starting to turn me off, but the Moto active display is awesome. Will be tough to live without on another phone.

06-04-2016 11:59 AM
    I think people are getting angry without having all the information. People are going off with pitchforks (ok, a little melodramatic...) over a blip and not seeing what the result it. Like a few other people have added to the thread earlier is there is a difference between bloatware and more features.
    I think people are actually more angry with so-called "tech news" websites misinterpreting information and then disseminating their take on it as fact.
    06-04-2016 06:03 PM
    I think people are actually more angry with so-called "tech news" websites misinterpreting information and then disseminating their take on it as fact.
    This. The simple fact is Sundar never said that stuff - so everyone that's reprinting without a single independent thought is just being flat out irresponsible and they're damaging the tech community by being false.
    Not Quite Right and ansextra like this.
    06-04-2016 07:59 PM
    That's nonsense. Is Google Now launcher "bloat"? How about Google's phone dialer?

Google is simply gonna add some more neat features similar to how they do it now or how Motorola was doing it.

If you thought Nexus is running "pure" Android you are mistaken
    06-04-2016 09:19 PM
    it depends on how you define bloatware... Some definite bloatware as unnecessary preloaded software. Now the problem is that it could be unnecessary to some but necessary to others. So what one person considers bloatware can be a very useful app or tool to another person.

I do agree that Google will try to add useful and innovative apps or features ... But are you personally going to have a need for them? The term bloat is pretty vague to me.

With that said Google I would imagine would provide apps and features useful to many people, instead of preloading junk just to line their pockets.
    Highly doubt this is about apps. Most likely it's some deeply integrated service/features that will make Nexus standout from the crowd. Is it bloat if you don't use it? I don't think so.... because if it's tightly integrated into OS then it makes no sense for Google to waste time making it "uninstallable". I don't use many OS features but it doesn't mean it's bloat
    06-04-2016 09:27 PM
    Highly doubt this is about apps. Most likely it's some deeply integrated service/features that will make Nexus standout from the crowd. Is it bloat if you don't use it? I don't think so.... because if it's tightly integrated into OS then it makes no sense for Google to waste time making it "uninstallable". I don't use many OS features but it doesn't mean it's bloat
    Right. As long as I don't start seeing VZ Navigator, and Sprint TV I think I'll be okay.

06-04-2016 09:44 PM
    Right. As long as I don't start seeing VZ Navigator, and Sprint TV I think I'll be okay.

"Would you like to know more about DirectTV and AT&T? Click here"

THAT is bloatware....
    06-04-2016 10:24 PM
    I've only ever had Nexus devices (One, Galaxy Nexus, 5 and 7(2013), and even though I've been a Nexus or die, I've never even rooted any of them. During each of those device releases, HTC, Samsung LG, and Asus, all had some feature of their non-Nexus devices that I wish my Nexus had, with LG's Knock-On being the one I really, really, really wanted. Yeah, sometimes Nexus has been too bare-bones, and the hot feature of that year would have been great to have without rooting.
    06-05-2016 08:45 AM
    Well, they care about traffic. And many will drum up traffic with clickbait... take a benign comment like this and turn it into some controversy.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-05-2016 08:54 AM
    Well, they care about traffic. And many will drum up traffic with clickbait... take a benign comment like this and turn it into some controversy.
    As i said earlier, BGR is starting to remind me of Fox News.
    06-05-2016 08:57 AM

"Would you like to know more about DirectTV and AT&T? Click here"

THAT is bloatware....
    Did I say something to make you think I didn't know that?

06-05-2016 04:01 PM
    Heck, I would like ir blaster, controllable multicolor led, dual radios for cdma, external sd card slot and a built in FM radio. Oh and a wireless charging capability. No bloatware needed for any of them. None of them are required by stock android. It's the company specific high ram UI I hate in name brands as well as thr bloatware.
    Hah ! You just described the Sprint S5 .. with the purchase of a wireless back or charging view case , you get wireless charging and mine has a radio , IR blaster & SD card slot ..

I keep looking for a better phone because this one is older than 2 years now..but even the S7 is clocked lower and IMHO is a step backwards..

Kenny
    06-05-2016 08:20 PM
    Hah ! You just described the Sprint S5 .. with the purchase of a wireless back or charging view case , you get wireless charging and mine has a radio , IR blaster & SD card slot ..

I keep looking for a better phone because this one is older than 2 years now..but even the S7 is clocked lower and IMHO is a step backwards..

Kenny
    But only one radio so in the few areas Sprint has coverage you still can't use data simultaneously with phone call.
    The Note 3 and Note 4 (with wireless back) have all the features I mentioned except fm radio. I like simultaneous call and data better than fm radio.

I think the Note 4 was the last dual radio phone made by any manufacturer.
    06-05-2016 08:27 PM
    There's an interesting article this morning on bgr.com. It's entitled Google Nexus phones won't run pure Android anymore. The article says they spoke with people from the Nexus program who stated that Google will continue working with OEMs to produce Nexus phones, but that they will be encouraging them to include certain features that are not part of Android itself, not part of the stock Android experience. They didn't use the word bloatware, but that's obviously what it is. So enjoy the Nexus 6p, it may be the last in the line with this major advantage over other androids.

They grossly misinterpreted what Sundar said.
    06-06-2016 09:51 AM
    They grossly misinterpreted what Sundar said.
    I agree. It amazes me how some take things at face value, and don't look deeper. There's a big difference between bloatware and features. Multi Window is a feature. Scroll Capture is a feature. A fingerprint scanner is a feature. Night Mode is a feature. BoomSound is a feature.

On the other hand, all of Cheetah Mobile's apps are bloatware. Carrier branded software is bloatware . This is evidenced by the definition of "bloatware", which is as follows: "Software whose USEFULNESS is reduced because of the excessive space and memory in requires."

Sites will spin stories in every which way to get traffic.

VigneshB and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    06-06-2016 10:17 AM
    'Certain features' can be anything from an aroma installer, to custom navigation buttons. I would say let's not jump to conclusions just yet.
    And now I want an aroma installer on my phone. Thanks a lot.
    tsparks1 likes this.
    06-06-2016 10:54 AM
    And now I want an aroma installer on my phone. Thanks a lot.
    Lol...sorry.
    06-06-2016 11:04 AM
    One cat's feature is another's bloatware ... to a point. I think everyone will agree that Facebook and CleanMaster and that type of nonsense are bloatware, but there's a valid discussion to be had about exactly what apps should be included on devices out of the box - especially those that are not able to be disabled or uninstalled by the user.
    VigneshB likes this.
    06-06-2016 11:07 AM
    I think it's interesting that people are unwilling to entertain the idea that Google could introduce features on the Nexus line that would qualify as bloat. I saw Now On Tap used as an example. The number of times that I've purposely used that feature can be counted on one hand. Maybe it's because it just wasn't that good (and maybe it's gotten better), or maybe because I forget it's there. I can't say for sure which is more likely. Some people would call that the definition of bloat.

I think the potentially bigger issue would be if Google starts putting things in Nexus that only work on Nexus and aren't available to other OEM partners. Frankly, that part of what I took away from what he said. The other, as stated above, is tighter hardware/software integration. Meaning that there would be far more under the hood things that are specific to the Nexus device in question that basically don't matter to other OEM's.
    06-06-2016 11:13 AM
    I think it's interesting that people are unwilling to entertain the idea that Google could introduce features on the Nexus line that would qualify as bloat. I saw Now On Tap used as an example. The number of times that I've purposely used that feature can be counted on one hand. Maybe it's because it just wasn't that good (and maybe it's gotten better), or maybe because I forget it's there. I can't say for sure which is more likely. Some people would call that the definition of bloat.

I think the potentially bigger issue would be if Google starts putting things in Nexus that only work on Nexus and aren't available to other OEM partners. Frankly, that part of what I took away from what he said. The other, as stated above, is tighter hardware/software integration. Meaning that there would be far more under the hood things that are specific to the Nexus device in question that basically don't matter to other OEM's.
    You underestimate their power...

Golfdriver97 likes this.
    06-06-2016 11:15 AM
    I think it's interesting that people are unwilling to entertain the idea that Google could introduce features on the Nexus line that would qualify as bloat.
    I'm not saying that it isn't a possibility; from my point of view, it just seems highly unlikely. I think it mainly depends on what features are added. Also, when I think of bloat, I am not just limiting that term to unwanted applications, but also I'm thinking of the addition of so many features hooked into the ROM that make it twice as large as the original framework (looking at you Galaxy S4...)
    06-06-2016 11:20 AM
    I'm not saying that it isn't a possibility; from my point of view, it just seems highly unlikely. I think it mainly depends on what features are added. Also, when I think of bloat, I am not just limiting that term to unwanted applications, but also I'm thinking of the addition of so many features hooked into the ROM that make it twice as large as the original framework (looking at you Galaxy S4...)
    Now build AOSP and then compare that to how much space a Nexus factory image is.... (I'll even allow you to subtract the space taken up by Google apps)
    06-06-2016 11:30 AM
    Again, it is very subjective. I know a lot of people who think all the "features" present in TouchWiz to be highly useful which I would personally term as bloatware.
    I don't use the stock messenger app, as my SMS needs are met by hangouts which I use as a video communication tool too. Sure, the former is an excellent app, but for me it is just using up space, however negligible. So, can I term it as bloatware? I don't think so.
    What I would love the manufacturers to do is install only the apps essential for the phone to run and give us the choice during setup to install all the additional apps. But, again many would hate to have such "complexity".
    On topic, as already said, I guess, Sundar was grossly mis-interpreted. I am always ready for new features!
    anon(5506951) likes this.
    06-06-2016 11:34 AM
134 1234 ...