From now on, Nexus phones will come with the bloatware

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
There's an interesting article this morning on bgr.com. It's entitled Google Nexus phones won't run pure Android anymore. The article says they spoke with people from the Nexus program who stated that Google will continue working with OEMs to produce Nexus phones, but that they will be encouraging them to include certain features that are not part of Android itself, not part of the stock Android experience. They didn't use the word bloatware, but that's obviously what it is. So enjoy the Nexus 6p, it may be the last in the line with this major advantage over other androids.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Consider the source. Until AC or some other more reputable source reports it with valid sourcing, I won't believe that. One of the main reasons for fragmentation in Android is that the OEMs are adding stuff on top of the OS and that stuff needs to be tested against any new version/update before it can be released. If they start doing that on Nexus devices, they're losing focus on the primary/original goal of the Nexus program - PURE, CURRENT Android for developers to test their apps against.

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah take the story with a pinch of salt, however if this was to happen I'd seriously have to consider my hardware options going forward.

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Agree, grain of salt.

But if it is true...just think about the context. Lets assume HTC is the manufacturer of the upcoming Nexus; what is there that Google would possibly want included that isn't coded into Android? Here is a guess; Boom Sound. Would that be so bad?

Google will continue to push the software updates to the Nexus phones, so anything that is included "on top" of Android won't be bloatware in the traditional sense. I am all for a superior audio codex (or whatever you call it) being included.

Its a Nexus, if you don't like what Google puts into "stock" Android, then root it, rom it, and run an AOSP build.

What other hardware options give you that ability, outside of HTC and the Nexus? Bootloaders are becoming harder to crack, and iOS doesn't offer what most of us want.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Heck, I would like ir blaster, controllable multicolor led, dual radios for cdma, external sd card slot and a built in FM radio. Oh and a wireless charging capability. No bloatware needed for any of them. None of them are required by stock android. It's the company specific high ram UI I hate in name brands as well as thr bloatware.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
'Certain features' can be anything from an aroma installer, to custom navigation buttons. I would say let's not jump to conclusions just yet.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
It's not bloatware, it's just stuff not in AOSP that will make the phones better. An example would be the proprietary camera software on the 5X and 6P that made those cameras actually worth something.

Personally, I hope they do something to make the audio sound better on future devices.

Additionally, try to avoid BGR. They tend to take simple things and blow them out of proportion.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Bgr.com haha...I wouldn't be surprised if Apple paid those guys, I don't think I've ever read a positive article about Android, windows or blackberry on that site.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
This isn't anything new. Nexus devices haven't been "pure" Android for a while. The Nexus dialer is another example.

Don't jump to conclusions.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Bloatware and non-stock features are two different things. Extra settings and options that you can enable or disable aren't bloatware. Bloatware is when you buy a new phone and there are apps like "Verizon Ringtones" and a stub app version of "Bubble Blast" on your phone. That's different than an IR blaster or Samsung Pay or options to change the on-screen buttons.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a feeling this originated from the interview with Sundar Pichai. He said that they want to bring "unique" software experiences to Nexus devices.

My take? Nexus has never been "pure Android" and has always been Google's take on Android, including unique versions of the camera app and keyboard. If Google can more tightly integrate the hardware and software then that is a good thing IMO. It will make Nexus even more competitive with "the other" company that has tight hardware/software integration.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling this originated from the interview with Sundar Pichai. He said that they want to bring "unique" software experiences to Nexus devices.

My take? Nexus has never been "pure Android" and has always been Google's take on Android, including unique versions of the camera app and keyboard. If Google can more tightly integrate the hardware and software then that is a good thing IMO. It will make Nexus even more competitive with "the other" company that has tight hardware/software integration.

^^ this too :)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Just to point out.

The build of Android on your Nexus isn't necessarily full-on AOSP. It's Google's own take on Android. Notice how you don't see the AOSP camera app or the AOSP browser.

And extra features don't necessarily mean bloatware. What do I mean by that? Features like dual-window and other stuff in Android N. The one thing I noticed in Nexus devices is that they tend to be kinda bare in terms of features. So adding more features with a meaningful impact or even for customization is a good thing in my books, as long as they don't go overboard.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Just to point out.

The build of Android on your Nexus isn't necessarily full-on AOSP. It's Google's own take on Android. Notice how you don't see the AOSP camera app or the AOSP browser.

And extra features don't necessarily mean bloatware. What do I mean by that? Features like dual-window and other stuff in Android N. The one thing I noticed in Nexus devices is that they tend to be kinda bare in terms of features. So adding more features with a meaningful impact or even for customization is a good thing in my books, as long as they don't go overboard.

Absolutely agree. I couldn't have said it better.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Well i heard from a friend who knew a guy who dog sat for a person who talked to a gardener of a man who knew nothing about this topic and he said wait until AC verifies it. Unfortunately that was all a dream. Then i woke up and read this. Or was i in the Matrix. Steak sounds good right now.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
6p is pure Google but isn't pure Android. There are a number of Google additions over AOSP(what I consider pure Android) in the 6p. So anything that Google adds or changes in the next nexus is still Pure Google.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
They didn't use the word bloatware, but that's obviously what it is. So enjoy the Nexus 6p, it may be the last in the line with this major advantage over other androids

Is Doze bloatware? What about Google Now, or the new native fingerprint API? Here is a screenshot of On Tap (a feature more useful than many people realize), which can recognize via the camera app, as well as select text. I am sure you'll see much more added.

Screenshot_20160603-120711.png

Is that bloatware? Because this is the sort of thing that I believe Pichai was referring to. He's not talking about adding Clean Master to the next Nexus.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Is Doze bloatware? What about Google Now, or the new native fingerprint API? Here is a screenshot of On Tap (a feature more useful than many people realize), which can recognize via the camera app, as well as select text. I am sure you'll see much more added.

View attachment 229228

Is that bloatware? Because this is the sort of thing that I believe Pichai was referring to. He's not talking about adding Clean Master to the next Nexus.
it depends on how you define bloatware... Some definite bloatware as unnecessary preloaded software. Now the problem is that it could be unnecessary to some but necessary to others. So what one person considers bloatware can be a very useful app or tool to another person.

I do agree that Google will try to add useful and innovative apps or features ... But are you personally going to have a need for them? The term bloat is pretty vague to me.

With that said Google I would imagine would provide apps and features useful to many people, instead of preloading junk just to line their pockets.

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I would be thrilled to get the moto active display on my nexus. Biggest feature i miss coming from the droid maxx. The Google version just isn't very good. At least not compared to what I had on my maxx