6p or Oneplus 3?

colinor

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, first post.

Just wondering if you where in my shoes what would you do?

I'm currently looking for a smart phone and at the moment love the idea of the nexus 6p.

However the Oneplus 3 is being released in little over a week !

If you where in my shoes which would you choose? I was also considering a Huawei P9.

Thanks guys.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Wait and see what the 1+ brings, and if it doesn't stack up to the 6P grab that. However a new nexus phone/phones will be out probably by Oct/Nov so if you can wait till then, I'd wait.

Posted via the Android Central App

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
My advice would be to grab the 6P. In my opinion, Nexus is the way to go software wise. You're always up to date and secure. The 6P is also great hardware. I'm just wary of a phone that I can't see in person before buying.

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
6P for sure. You'll get the fastest updates and actually have good customer service (well depending on where you buy). One plus is notorious for poor customer service and slow updates.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I only buy Nexii, I wouldn't consider anything else. The 6P has gone on sale this week, $80 off at Best Buy if that makes your decision any easier. Software is more important than hardware at this point because the hardware has been good enough for a while. If you aren't in a hurry then you could wait four months for the 2016 Nexus which will have the 820 processor instead of the 810, however the 810 in 6p hasn't been a bottleneck and the Amoled screen on the 6P is about as good as a screen can be.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I've owned a 1+, and when the device worked it was one of my top three favorite phones ever. However, the touchscreen started to act up and getting customer support was an absolute nightmare. So that part would concern me. But for the almost year it worked fine, I have to say I loved the device.

That said, I would not even consider the 1+3 unless it worked on ALL us carriers.

Posted via my Nexus 6P on Verizon (or any d**n network I choose)

jim1405

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't know anything about the 3 but I owned a OnePlus 1 and would never buy another product from them. The build quality of the the 1 wasn't even close to the 6P and the 6P is superior in about every respect. The screen and camera were pretty bad IMHO. But the worst part were the lack of support and updates. Updates were few and far between and support was pretty much non-existent.

Part of that was the Cyanogen Mode mess OnePlus ended up in I guess but I had a feeling the OnePlus was kind of a second rate company that really couldn't compete with the flagships of the industry even though they billed themselves as a flagship slayer. After using my 6P for about 8 months now I love the phone and love knowing the it will continue to get monthly security updates and will be supported for a least a couple of more releases.

asbarrett

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Do you generally hate yourself? Do you like giving money to terrible companies that do stupid invites and promotions that request topless photos of women for phones? Do you like non existent support? Get that oneplus phone! Want to not have a terrible device? Get the Nexus.

colinor

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
My advice would be to grab the 6P. In my opinion, Nexus is the way to go software wise. You're always up to date and secure. The 6P is also great hardware. I'm just wary of a phone that I can't see in person before buying.

Yeah I've seen a lot about the software updates and such . Especially compared to even the likes of Samsung they are meant to be a bit sloppy in terms of updates !

colinor

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm in Ireland so I don't think it would affect me. For the budget the nexus fits it anyways. For me the S7 was just a bit too expensive for me spending on a phone . To be honest for what I'll be using the phone for I probably won't even notice the difference ! Anyways I can always sell it on and upgrade when the time comes :)

colinor

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
I've owned a 1+, and when the device worked it was one of my top three favorite phones ever. However, the touchscreen started to act up and getting customer support was an absolute nightmare. So that part would concern me. But for the almost year it worked fine, I have to say I loved the device.

That said, I would not even consider the 1+3 unless it worked on ALL us carriers.

Posted via my Nexus 6P on Verizon (or any d**n network I choose)

A guy I work with has it and loves it. Saying that though bad customer support is not great especially with the Oneplus just being released there could be huge issues. I'm in Ireland aswell so I don't know how well it would work with the carriers

colinor

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
I don't know anything about the 3 but I owned a OnePlus 1 and would never buy another product from them. The build quality of the the 1 wasn't even close to the 6P and the 6P is superior in about every respect. The screen and camera were pretty bad IMHO. But the worst part were the lack of support and updates. Updates were few and far between and support was pretty much non-existent.

Part of that was the Cyanogen Mode mess OnePlus ended up in I guess but I had a feeling the OnePlus was kind of a second rate company that really couldn't compete with the flagships of the industry even though they billed themselves as a flagship slayer. After using my 6P for about 8 months now I love the phone and love knowing the it will continue to get monthly security updates and will be supported for a least a couple of more releases.

Yeah it's a good bit of money for a good smart phone these days and you want a premium device for the money your spending. To me they just seem like all about the hype and then selling as much devices as possible initially so I think I'll steer clear ! Cheers for the advice :) plus I want a good camera which was also drawing me towards the Huawei P9 but from what I'm reading I think a stock android will suit me better !

Pirate Arr

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
6P. On support alone Google trounces OP, which is pathetic in that department including in updates. But I do advice to wait and see what the new Nexus brings to better compete with the OP3. But it's good you've gone with Nexus ✔

#TeamFrosty Nexus 6P

colinor

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
6P. On support alone Google trounces OP, which is pathetic in that department including in updates. But I do advice to wait and see what the new Nexus brings to better compete with the OP3. But it's good you've gone with Nexus ✔

#TeamFrosty Nexus 6P
The one plus is gonna be launched about 3/4 days after I planned to order the nexus so I'll wait to see what the OP3 has to offer first but still will probably go for the nexus !

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd wait to see what hardware the OnePlus 3 brings, but really, I'd still go with the 6P.

It may have last year's hardware, but it's still every bit as quick as today's flagships and because it's a Nexus, it will be supported for 3 years at least, with timely updates as well.

As for OnePlus, given what happened with the OnePlus 2's MM update situation, it's probably a good idea to stick with the Nexus if you want fast updates.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, first post.

Just wondering if you where in my shoes what would you do?

I'm currently looking for a smart phone and at the moment love the idea of the nexus 6p.

However the Oneplus 3 is being released in little over a week !

If you where in my shoes which would you choose? I was also considering a Huawei P9.

Thanks guys.

6P by a lot. OnePlus hasn't ever done anything worth noticing other than giving dangerous USB C cables to people for $5 each. I don't expect that to change this year. Really just a bad OEM at this point. Huawei and Google on the otherhand, hit it out of the park despite all of our reservations last fall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781