I just got a replacement phone from Google because my original 6p started having problems staying connected between towers.

I noticed that my replacement device was not charging very fast even though the Fast Charging icon shows up (when using the original charger, obviously). Using the Ampere app, the max current I'm getting is 1200 (compared to the 3000 of my original).

Has anyone else had this problem? Suggestions? Or am I stuck asking for another replacement.
    06-08-2016 09:53 AM
    Try leaving the screen off to see if you still have the same problem
    06-08-2016 10:07 AM
    Try leaving the screen off to see if you still have the same problem
    Doesn't matter if the screen is on or off.
    06-08-2016 10:13 AM
    I try to avoid fast charging as much as possible, but the few times I've let the phone run down that far and used the original charger it seemed to charge very quickly. I didn't happen to check it with Ampere, though, so I can't confirm the correlation.

Did your replacement not come with a new charger as well?

Offhand it sounds like there's a problem with your replacement.
    06-09-2016 01:31 AM
    I try to avoid fast charging as much as possible, but the few times I've let the phone run down that far and used the original charger it seemed to charge very quickly. I didn't happen to check it with Ampere, though, so I can't confirm the correlation.

Did your replacement not come with a new charger as well?

Offhand it sounds like there's a problem with your replacement.
    Why would you avoid fast charging? It's there for a reason, I'm sure the engineers at Google/Huawei know what they are doing.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-09-2016 07:47 AM
    Why would you avoid fast charging?
    Because the battery is not user replaceable. It's pretty much a given that fast charging generates more heat, which is detrimental to battery life.
    In addition, if your battery is in a fast charging configuration you're taking a hit on cycle count, and there are only so many cycles a battery will handle before it becomes less capable of holding a charge (and is finally useless).
    06-09-2016 10:15 AM
    Because the battery is not user replaceable. It's pretty much a given that fast charging generates more heat, which is detrimental to battery life.
    In addition, if your battery is in a fast charging configuration you're taking a hit on cycle count, and there are only so many cycles a battery will handle before it becomes less capable of holding a charge (and is finally useless).
    There is no data supplementing your claims of fast charging degrading batteries. My old Nexus 6 fast charges, and gets basically the same battery life. Fast charging doesn't create enough heat to actually damage the battery.

06-09-2016 11:37 AM
    My replacement phone did not come with a new charger. But I purchased a separate charger with a 6ft cable for work, when I originally bought the phone, and it's the same with either one I use.
    06-09-2016 02:03 PM
    I let my device discharge to ~33% and then connected the charger that came with it and ran Ampere - on the lock screen it showed 'Rapid charging', and as you can see Ampere shows a current value similar to what you mentioned. So I guess your replacement unit has a problem.
    06-11-2016 01:57 AM
    Hmm, I'm not sure what to expect WRT rapid charging - my device was at 79% and I connected the charger that came with it and received the 'Charging rapidly' notification on the lock screen. I certainly didn't expect that until it was less than 40% or so. Ampere showed a normal charging current.Guess it's time for a little more research.
    06-16-2016 05:56 PM
    Hmm, I'm not sure what to expect WRT rapid charging - my device was at 79% and I connected the charger that came with it and received the 'Charging rapidly' notification on the lock screen. I certainly didn't expect that until it was less than 40% or so. Ampere showed a normal charging current.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...b25d867ccd.jpgGuess it's time for a little more research.
    Whenever your connected to the stock charger it'll say rapid charging, even if your at say 95%. It won't rapid charge though when your battery is that high.

06-17-2016 12:58 AM
    Whenever your connected to the stock charger it'll say rapid charging, even if your at say 95%. It won't rapid charge though when your battery is that high.
    That seems rather counterintuitive: if it's actually rapid charging, that's what it should show on the screen; if it's not rapid charging, regardless of which charger is connected, it shouldn't show that message on the screen.
    06-17-2016 01:09 PM