Android Pay

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
In Android Pay, if you setup a gym membership card, are you able to use android pay to scan the gym tag in through the gym scanner? Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
As long as the gym scanner reads barcodes off of screens (older 2D barcode scanners can't because of the glass), yes (and as long as it uses barcodes, not magnetic stripes or NFC tags). A few caveats if you input the number manually, though: Your gym must be reading the same code you're inputting as your membership number. Most establishments do, but some add extra information to the barcode, which doesn't show up in your membership number or account number. If AP is just copying the barcode (adding it by picture), then you should be fine.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
As long as the gym scanner reads barcodes off of screens (older 2D barcode scanners can't because of the glass), yes (and as long as it uses barcodes, not magnetic stripes or NFC tags). A few caveats if you input the number manually, though: Your gym must be reading the same code you're inputting as your membership number. Most establishments do, but some add extra information to the barcode, which doesn't show up in your membership number or account number. If AP is just copying the barcode (adding it by picture), then you should be fine.
Oh I see I think I manually j input the gym membership code whoops...would that matter?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope, as long as that's what the scanner at the gym is reading. For example, the Starbucks program will give you a member number, but if you add that to Android Pay, it will create a standard 2D barcode with that number encoded in it. When you compare that code with the actual Starbucks one, they don't match, because Starbucks uses more information, not just the number, into their barcodes.

Give it a try and see if it works! If not, delete the card and add it again, this time by scanning your actual card.

Another word of caution, though! Some gyms will not let you use a card substitute and will require you to either use or at least show the actual card to access their facilities.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
yes, i'll definitely have to re set it up that;s ior sure and then go from there. i'll let you know what happens. thanks again!