Anyone else's Google keyboard suck after the last update?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Google keyboard has been horrible for a month or so now since the update. When I go to à spot I have previously typed and try to backspace, after deleting a few characters it jumps to another spot so I have to move it to delete what I wanted. Then when I go back to my previous spot, I'll start typing and after a few characters it's back to the spot I was just and half of the word I just typed has now replaced what I just edited.

However the suckage moved into overdrive today. If I type too fast, instead of what I intended to type, in some cases it puts in the special characters like numbers or symbols, sometimes it skips characters, and three times now it randomly started backspacing all on its own deleting a few words before it stops. It's worse the faster you type, but even typing around 2 characters a second it still could foul up.

The prediction is way off. It was perfect before the update, now it's like it purged whatever I added previously and many times doesn't recognize simple words.

To give you an idea of how bad it is, in just this post alone I've seen around 50 errors happen and I had 2 more random deletions after I mentioned them above. Just a second ago a pop-up appeared for changing the language or going into settings without any prompting on my part. I don't know what they did but the took something perfectly fine and turned it into crap.

It's getting maddening how horrible it is to type even short posts. So anyone else having this issue and/or found a solution?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that but no, my google keyboard on developer preview 4 on my Nexus 6p has been stable, consistent, accurate. Maybe try factory resetting your phone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you already tried clearing the Google Keyboard app cache? Or seeing if this persists in Safe Mode?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not on any of the developer previews for N, so maybe that is the issue. Although I doubt they'd change an app that requires your OS to be on a dev preview. I have cleared app cache to no avail. I haven't tried safe mode yet, but for now I switched to SwiftKey. I started to think that maybe it had to do with the 810 in my 6p throttling, but I'm not seeing any issues on SwiftKey. I have read of others also having the issue doing a Google search and they're pointing to it starting after the last update, but it could be down to an issue with another app that we all have installed. I'll have to try going into safe mode but for now I'll stick with SwiftKey until I get around to it. Mostly just wanted to see if anyone else was having the issue and if it was widespread. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech