07-03-2016 06:10 AM
38 12
tools
    Are many of you using Launchers on your 6P? I've used Nova on all of my previous phones and have loved it.

But I feel guilty using it on my 6P. This is my first Nexus phone so I don't want to interfere with the stock experience or lose access to Google now Page, which I find incredibly more useful than I thought I would.

Then again, there's so much I can do with Nova that I can do with stock.

I know the beauty of Android is customizability, but with another launcher I'm feeling like I'm just turning my stock phone into my Note 5, for instance.

Would love to hear thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-24-2016 05:44 AM
    I use Nova. I love it.
    kenorian likes this.
    06-24-2016 05:59 AM
    I've always used Nova as well. I've been using stock for a few weeks for the same reasons as you. The reality is that I like some of the options that Nova gives me so I'll probably install it.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-24-2016 06:40 AM
    I used to use Nova (bought it when it first launched), but now I use Action Launcher (love QuickDrawer and QuickPage). I use custom launchers on every Android device I get - just love customizing it beyond what the Google Now Launcher gives you or Sense/Touchwiz bloat.
    06-24-2016 07:16 AM
    I've been using Nova Prime for years as well. I keep wanting to try the Google Launcher but there's no way to import my Nova settings. Then I say to myself "why bother"? I'm very happy with Nova.
    06-24-2016 08:58 AM
    Do what works....

I used to use Nova but I found myself spending too much time fussing with some random option that didn't really add to my experience. At the same time, Now and the services that orbit the feature got better and better. And those services actually provided with with a ton of utility, so the fact that it was so tightly integrated into the Google Launcher... that integration was more beneficial to me than fussing with grid sizes. I've been on the Google launcher exclusively now and I have no need to change it.
    06-24-2016 09:06 AM
    I used Hola on a Note 5 and deleted it right away.

I'm using Nova Prime on my 6p and like it. I mainly use it because of the small app icons. I'm still learning all it can do, but so far so good.
    06-24-2016 09:20 AM
    Hello,

I prefer the stock Google Now launcher, simple and fast. I've already used Nova in the past on non Nexus phones and yes, it's a killer app, really good.
    In your case, you could simply use Nova and put the Google Now icon on homescreen to be able to continue to launch it quickly.
    06-24-2016 10:55 AM
    I use Nova on mine.
    06-24-2016 12:42 PM
    I use Nova, the stock launcher is too primitive.
    06-24-2016 01:06 PM
    I use Nova because I like the ability to see an "unread" count and you can hold any icon and go to the app properties. With Google launcher, you need to go to the app draw then hold on and drag it to the top left access it. I also like to hide widget app icons.
    06-24-2016 01:16 PM
    I use Action Launcher 3 https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cher.playstore - I used Action Launcher 2 on my Samsung Galaxy S3, but it wasn't being updated any longer so I upgraded.
    06-24-2016 06:06 PM
    Nova prime. I wouldn't even try another launcher
    kenorian likes this.
    06-24-2016 06:10 PM
    Are many of you using Launchers on your 6P? I've used Nova on all of my previous phones and have loved it.

But I feel guilty using it on my 6P. This is my first Nexus phone so I don't want to interfere with the stock experience or lose access to Google now Page, which I find incredibly more useful than I thought I would.

I know the beauty of Android is customizability, but with another launcher I'm feeling like I'm just turning my stock phone into my Note 5, for instance.

Have used Nova prime for years until I switched to 6P. No way I would take away from the pure Android experience. It's the reason I got a Nexus. Google launcher is so buttery smooth. I love Nova prime for none Nexus phones. For Nexus, I'm sticking with pure Android experience.
    LMaui likes this.
    06-24-2016 06:52 PM
    Nova Prime for me. I tried Google Launcher for an hour or so and no custom icons, no ability to change the grid size, no home screen wrap around, no automatically changing days on the calendar icon, etc, just ticked me off too much.

And for the 'benefit' of getting Google Now by swiping all the way left, I can get to it from ×any× page by just swiping up.

Google Launcher may be Google's interpretation of a launcher experience, but it's way too primitive for me.

Sent via the Communications Center of the Takari
    vag74 likes this.
    06-25-2016 08:00 AM
    Nova Prime for me. I tried Google Launcher for an hour or so and no custom icons, no ability to change the grid size, no home screen wrap around, no automatically changing days on the calendar icon, etc, just ticked me off too much.

And for the 'benefit' of getting Google Now by swiping all the way left, I can get to it from ×any× page by just swiping up.

Google Launcher may be Google's interpretation of a launcher experience, but it's way too primitive for me.

Sent via the Communications Center of the Takari
    That's it with one gesture on Nova you have any application you want
    06-25-2016 08:09 AM
    I've used Nova on my Nexus 4, my Nexus 5, and I use it on my 6p. Always love the ability to make drawer and folders transparent, and to have the icons the size I want. I find the icons too large on the stock launcher. And since my tablet is a Samsung, I can have the same look and feel on all my devices.
    06-25-2016 12:17 PM
    I switched from Nova Prime to Smart Launcher 3 Pro, just because it's a different look. I don't use the stock launcher because I'm not a fan of the persistent search bar that can't be removed, as well as all the white of the UI. If Android N brings back a system wide always on Night Mode, I'll consider going back to the Google launcher.

06-25-2016 02:21 PM
    Nova Prime, but I do miss the google now left page from the stock launcher!
    06-25-2016 04:23 PM
    You can add the Google Now widget to your left screen. Not sure if it would be exactly like the Google launcher because I've never used that launcher.
    06-25-2016 06:10 PM
    I use Nova Prime and really like it. I would however like to know, is one able to get rid of the google search bar on google launcher now? That was always my biggest peeve about it. On my Nova Prime setup, long press on home button gets me google on tap/google now and the google app so I am not missing anything.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-25-2016 06:30 PM
    With Nova Prime, just set a gesture. swipe up or down, two finger swipe left or right. Then you can access Google Now from any page of Nova.
    06-26-2016 08:58 PM

I'm on a G5 and I run a Action Launcher 3/Google Now Launcher rotation.

I had a Nexus 5 a couple of phones ago and can't tare myself away from a stock experience so I run Google Now Launcher a lot. That being said, I'll be buying a Nexus this fall and when I get the urge to customize, I'll be running Action Launcher.

All this to say, I understand your dilemma.
    06-27-2016 09:45 AM
    Do what works....

I used to use Nova but I found myself spending too much time fussing with some random option that didn't really add to my experience. At the same time, Now and the services that orbit the feature got better and better. And those services actually provided with with a ton of utility, so the fact that it was so tightly integrated into the Google Launcher... that integration was more beneficial to me than fussing with grid sizes. I've been on the Google launcher exclusively now and I have no need to change it.
    Specifically what are these "utility" advantages that the Google Now launcher offers over Nova Launcher other than swiping left to get to Google Now?
    06-27-2016 10:11 AM
    Specifically what are these "utility" advantages that the Google Now launcher offers over Nova Launcher other than swiping left to get to Google Now?
    Well, it's not just the swipe left I guess... even though I use that quite a lot. With the Google Launcher, Now isn't something that gets loaded up... Now IS the Launcher. The Google Launcher, Now, etc... that's all the Google app. The launcher app you download from the Play Store is just an extension. So even when you are launching Now via the On Tap gesture (or any other source mind you), it feels like it's part of the phone rather than just a slapped on application.

I dunno... it's just a speed and fluidity thing. I've tried Nova from time to time, to see where the development was going, and getting to all that info just wasn't as integrated. Now, if you don't use Now much, or just occasionally, that wouldn't be that much of a big deal. But it's one of the first things I check when I pick up my phone and go back to check those cards often.
    06-27-2016 01:51 PM
38 12