Back on Android-Nexus 6P quirks

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've heard that it is because of iMessage. Which is fine. But does anyone know how to avoid it being compressed?

Thanks for the quick response from the two above.

The only way is to share it via a link or other app, such as YouTube, Drive, Facebook, etc.

And the stereo speakers causing the pause is correct.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
My phone does the same thing when rotating. The sound will cut out for a second whenever I rotate the phone from vertical to horizontal. It's the strangest thing but I thought it was just my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

That's because the phone has stereo speakers and it is flipping channels (Left vs Right) depending on which way the rotation ends up being in.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
MMS can't support videos the way you're used to with iMessage. That's across the board.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

rodney0905

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
That's because the phone has stereo speakers and it is flipping channels (Left vs Right) depending on which way the rotation ends up being in.

Well now I guess I know that it's by design. I feel like it's more of a bug, because it's an inconvenience for me. But at least I know the answer now. Thanks

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't expect my family and my social circle to start using an entirely new app for them just so I can use the phone I want. If you can get them to use it, more power to you, but I'm not expecting everyone around me to cater to my phone desires.

Now I don't completely agree with this line of thought. So because he switched phones, he just has to deal with it? It's not that much to ask a friend if he/she was sending video to him, to please use something like Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp or Google Photos. It's not like anything else with SMS messages was affected - only videos. So if they had a video to send, just use something else. Not too difficult to me. Otherwise, it's just telling the OP "you're screwed because your friends all use iPhones."

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Now I don't completely agree with this line of thought. So because he switched phones, he just has to deal with it? It's not that much to ask a friend if he/she was sending video to him, to please use something like Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp or Google Photos. It's not like anything else with SMS messages was affected - only videos. So if they had a video to send, just use something else. Not too difficult to me. Otherwise, it's just telling the OP "you're screwed because your friends all use iPhones."
Yeah no the only person that has to change one tiny thing is the new phone owner who merely has to text a link to the video instead of sending the video MMS. It'll be invisible to everyone else.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah no the only person that has to change one tiny thing is the new phone owner who merely has to text a link to the video instead of sending the video MMS. It'll be invisible to everyone else.

The OP was saying that videos coming in weren't working. So they would have to have the sender use something else. I would assume most of these people probably have other social apps loaded on their phone and could easily just jump over there and send the video really quick. No harm. No foul.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The OP was saying that videos coming in weren't working. So they would have to have the sender use something else. I would assume most of these people probably have other social apps loaded on their phone and could easily just jump over there and send the video really quick. No harm. No foul.
But they then all (anyone in that conversation or that OP was using iMessage with) have to use that separate app each and every time they want to send a video. It won't be inline with the rest of the conversation, could come in delayed, or who knows what else.

It breaks the flow of conversation for sure. So yeah, "no harm, no foul" is technically correct, but will make the conversation awkward to follow.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Cool kids use Snapchat anyway. :)

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
But they then all (anyone in that conversation or that OP was using iMessage with) have to use that separate app each and every time they want to send a video. It won't be inline with the rest of the conversation, could come in delayed, or who knows what else.

It breaks the flow of conversation for sure. So yeah, "no harm, no foul" is technically correct, but will make the conversation awkward to follow.
A link in the conversation breaks it? I literally have dozens of links daily in conversations. I'm not following this fully. Does imessage have YouTube preview?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
A link in the conversation breaks it? I literally have dozens of links daily in conversations. I'm not following this fully. Does imessage have YouTube preview?

It does in iOS 10. Don't even have to leave the messages app to watch it.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Some people don't want to deal with that. Their choice.

I don't expect my family and my social circle to start using an entirely new app for them just so I can use the phone I want. If you can get them to use it, more power to you, but I'm not expecting everyone around me to cater to my phone desires.

Be together. Not the same.

- Google

That pretty much sums it up. It's not like WhatsApp is some fringe app. I would argue there are more smartphones with WhatsApp on it than imessage. I use it a lot for groups of friends and family all over the world on different devices and it has been excellent way to keep in contact. At the end of the day there are more people around the world with Android devices than iPhone ones so on the flip side should all iPhone friends be telling Android ones to get an iPhone just for one app if they find the rest if the phone OS more functional for them? None of these mobile OS are perfect but they are converging in many ways so there are less differences each year.

Last edited:

rodney0905

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site

This is the biggest issue. We have one group message. So the sender sends a video and my other friends receive it fine, but I don't because I no longer have an iPhone. So to ask that person to use a different app just to send the video to me doesn't seem like something they'd want to do.

rodney0905

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Looking at my OP. Just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track in thinking that 2 of the 3 questions have been answered.

1. The Bluetooth connection stuff sounds like it might be fixed in N.

2. No way to avoid video compression unless I return to iMessage or use an a different app.

3. This may be a silly question. If the sound is due to stereo speakers, why does the video pause? Is there a way to turn off stereo sound so this doesn't happen?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
3. This may be a silly question. If the sound is due to stereo speakers, why does the video pause?

It's paused to maintain sync with the audio while the audio channels are shuffled about. The choice is either to mute the audio, or pause the video.. they choose the latter.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I just tested my phone with different apps and I am not getting that pause or stutter with respect to sound. I've heard others with thus sane issue. I must have lucked out.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I just tested my phone with different apps and I am not getting that pause or stutter with respect to sound. I've heard others with thus sane issue. I must have lucked out.

I've been trying too. I can't seem to recreate that issue at all. I guess I'm lucky as well. That makes me wonder if a complete reset of the phone would help. I can't recall if the OP has done that already or not.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance