07-04-2016 11:02 PM
47 12
tools
    Hey everyone,

I was an Android nut back in the day, but have been using an iPhone for a long time. I just picked up a Nexus 6P and have been having a few little quirks.

When I rotate my phone from landscape to portrait or vice versa, the sound and video pause while rotating. Any idea what's going on here?

It looks like the Bluetooth issue in the car is just there with no fix in sight.

My biggest issue is that videos sent from my iPhone friends come in extremely blurry. Any fix for this?

Thanks
    06-30-2016 09:55 AM
    The video thing is probably because of iMessage. At least that is my guess. I'm not sure about the other stuff but I hope someone else can help you with this.
    06-30-2016 10:21 AM
    I believe the video issue has to do with compression. Videos from imessage to imessage are not compressed. MMS video is compressed and that's how you are receiving it on the 6P.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
    libra89 and Morty2264 like this.
    06-30-2016 12:27 PM
    I've heard that it is because of iMessage. Which is fine. But does anyone know how to avoid it being compressed?

Thanks for the quick response from the two above.
    06-30-2016 12:29 PM
    I'm on Android N beta Bluetooth in car much better

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-30-2016 12:42 PM
    I'm on Android N beta Bluetooth in car much better

Thanks for the heads up.
    06-30-2016 12:51 PM
    An uncompressed video would be extremely large in size and would kill your data plan very quickly.
    06-30-2016 12:54 PM
    An uncompressed video would be extremely large in size and would kill your data plan very quickly.
    I'm lucky enough to have unlimited data. I've just been looking for a fix. Our group does a lot of videos and it's going to be hard to live with blurry vids.
    06-30-2016 02:03 PM
    I'm lucky enough to have unlimited data. I've just been looking for a fix. Our group does a lot of videos and it's going to be hard to live with blurry vids.
    I use Google photos or Google drive to share photos and videos. I don't think there is a way around MMS compressing a video.
    rodney0905 and libra89 like this.
    06-30-2016 03:53 PM
    I use Google photos or Google drive to share photos and videos. I don't think there is a way around MMS compressing a video.
    Thanks. The Nexus is cool. But if everyone else uses an iPhone, kind of hard to use an Android phone if they just aren't playing nice.

I guess the only other thing I'd like to see a fix for is this orientation deal. Even does it in Spotify.
    06-30-2016 04:00 PM
    Thanks. The Nexus is cool. But if everyone else uses an iPhone, kind of hard to use an Android phone if they just aren't playing nice.

I guess the only other thing I'd like to see a fix for is this orientation deal. Even does it in Spotify.
    That is what kept me going back to iPhones even though I prefer Android. I've finally said enough is enough. There are easy ways to share photos, videos and files in Android. Actually more easily than iOS, my family and friends will learn. In fact they are starting to see that you have more choices with Android. At the end of the day it's up to you if you want to deal with those issues.

As for the video and music pausing, I don't have that issue. I've tried recreating it with YouTube, videos from a few apps and Play Music. I don't use Spotify, but nothing I have tried has that issue. Everything rotates and keeps right on playing smoothly. What apps are you having the issue with other than Spotify?
    06-30-2016 04:16 PM
    That is what kept me going back to iPhones even though I prefer Android. I've finally said enough is enough. There are easy ways to share photos, videos and files in Android. Actually more easily than iOS, my family and friends will learn. In fact they are starting to see that you have more choices with Android. At the end of the day it's up to you if you want to deal with those issues.

As for the video and music pausing, I don't have that issue. I've tried recreating it with YouTube, videos from a few apps and Play Music. I don't use Spotify, but nothing I have tried has that issue. Everything rotates and keeps right on playing smoothly. What apps are you having the issue with other than Spotify?
    The issue with the videos are on the receiving end. They send and look fine from their iPhone. Me receiving them leaves them all blurry. As others have said, I guess it's because of iMessage and compression. Either way. Guess they don't play nice.

I will probably end up returning to the iPhone just because of the issues I've had. I know every os has issues, but I didn't have any with my iPhone. I'm in no rush. A phone is a phone so whatever works I'm fine with.

But as far as the skipping. There's a Reddit thread about it. They are saying it's due to the stereo speakers. But the video pauses as well. It happens with all my video apps. MLB app, Netflix, YouTube. If I switch orientation, the video will pause and the sound will pause until the rotation is complete. It's only a quick second. But enough to be an annoyance.
    06-30-2016 04:37 PM
    The issue with the videos are on the receiving end. They send and look fine from their iPhone. Me receiving them leaves them all blurry. As others have said, I guess it's because of iMessage and compression. Either way. Guess they don't play nice.

I will probably end up returning to the iPhone just because of the issues I've had. I know every os has issues, but I didn't have any with my iPhone. I'm in no rush. A phone is a phone so whatever works I'm fine with.

But as far as the skipping. There's a Reddit thread about it. They are saying it's due to the stereo speakers. But the video pauses as well. It happens with all my video apps. MLB app, Netflix, YouTube. If I switch orientation, the video will pause and the sound will pause until the rotation is complete. It's only a quick second. But enough to be an annoyance.
    Interesting. Definitely have not had that issue with Netflix or any of my apps playing videos.

Good luck with the other issue. If the iPhone does what you need, the way you need it to, then I don't blame you for going back to it.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-30-2016 04:42 PM
    Hey everyone,

I was an Android nut back in the day, but have been using an iPhone for a long time. I just picked up a Nexus 6P and have been having a few little quirks.

When I rotate my phone from landscape to portrait or vice versa, the sound and video pause while rotating. Any idea what's going on here?
    So, the Nexus 6P has stereo speakers, which have a left and right channel. When you rotate the screen, that may change where left and right actually are. The audio pauses in order to change which channel audio goes out.
    Aquila and Morty2264 like this.
    06-30-2016 06:47 PM
    I've heard that it is because of iMessage. Which is fine. But does anyone know how to avoid it being compressed?

You can tell your contacts to use WhatsApp, that's an easy way that I know that people can use.
    06-30-2016 08:20 PM
    So, the Nexus 6P has stereo speakers, which have a left and right channel. When you rotate the screen, that may change where left and right actually are. The audio pauses in order to change which channel audio goes out.
    Some people don't want to deal with that. Their choice.

You can tell your contacts to use WhatsApp, that's an easy way that I know that people can use.
    I don't expect my family and my social circle to start using an entirely new app for them just so I can use the phone I want. If you can get them to use it, more power to you, but I'm not expecting everyone around me to cater to my phone desires.
    swarlos and libra89 like this.
    06-30-2016 08:52 PM
    I will say the sound never pauses for me when I have the screen rotation turned off, which is 100% of the time.
    06-30-2016 08:58 PM
    I don't expect my family and my social circle to start using an entirely new app for them just so I can use the phone I want.
    And in here is the main reason why I don't think we'll ever see an Android iMessage app.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-30-2016 09:16 PM
    And in here is the main reason why I don't think we'll ever see an Android iMessage app.
    Yep and one of the Apple executive already said as much.
    07-01-2016 12:47 AM
    Hey everyone,

It looks like the Bluetooth issue in the car is just there with no fix in sight.

My biggest issue is that videos sent from my iPhone friends come in extremely blurry. Any fix for this?

Thanks
    My phone does the same thing when rotating. The sound will cut out for a second whenever I rotate the phone from vertical to horizontal. It's the strangest thing but I thought it was just my phone.

07-01-2016 02:05 AM

The only way is to share it via a link or other app, such as YouTube, Drive, Facebook, etc.

And the stereo speakers causing the pause is correct.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-01-2016 06:40 PM
    My phone does the same thing when rotating. The sound will cut out for a second whenever I rotate the phone from vertical to horizontal. It's the strangest thing but I thought it was just my phone.

That's because the phone has stereo speakers and it is flipping channels (Left vs Right) depending on which way the rotation ends up being in.

rodney0905 likes this.
    07-01-2016 08:19 PM
    MMS can't support videos the way you're used to with iMessage. That's across the board.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    07-01-2016 08:34 PM
    That's because the phone has stereo speakers and it is flipping channels (Left vs Right) depending on which way the rotation ends up being in.

Well now I guess I know that it's by design. I feel like it's more of a bug, because it's an inconvenience for me. But at least I know the answer now. Thanks
    07-02-2016 06:44 AM
    I don't expect my family and my social circle to start using an entirely new app for them just so I can use the phone I want. If you can get them to use it, more power to you, but I'm not expecting everyone around me to cater to my phone desires.
    Now I don't completely agree with this line of thought. So because he switched phones, he just has to deal with it? It's not that much to ask a friend if he/she was sending video to him, to please use something like Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp or Google Photos. It's not like anything else with SMS messages was affected - only videos. So if they had a video to send, just use something else. Not too difficult to me. Otherwise, it's just telling the OP "you're screwed because your friends all use iPhones."
    07-02-2016 10:56 PM
47 12