Hi all

Having some troubles with my Nexus 6P - a lot of the time I'm on calls, I get told that I'm really quiet, distance or it's a bad line.
    I have no idea why... I have a Spigen case on my phone and not sure whether that is affecting it though it seems to be the same when I make calls without the cover.

Any ideas?
    07-14-2016 01:21 PM
    What happens if you put the call on speakerphone (which, IIRC, uses a different microphone)? If they can hear you better then it's possible that there's a hardware problem with that device.

Have you tried using a recording app to record audio and then play it back and see if the volume sounds normal? (I think if you record a video it also uses the other microphone.)

I don't remember coming across an app that allows you to check the microphones (like you can check the other sensors) but you'd probably need another device to compare against.
    07-14-2016 11:43 PM
    You might have a defective unit. I remember seeing this issue back when the 6P just came out. Hopefully you can RMA your device if it's that.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-14-2016 11:53 PM
    You might have a defective unit. I remember seeing this issue back when the 6P just came out. Hopefully you can RMA your device if it's that.

I don't think it's a defective unit. I think it is a design flaw. I've had this phone for a few months now and my biggest complaint is the call quality is really bad. Especially on speaker phone where the other person says I either echo or it sounds like I am in a tunnel. Even without speaker people tell me to speak up all the time because I sound quiet. I need this phone for work so this is starting to get frustrating. There are other smaller issues I have with this phone like outdoor visibility is bad and lack of OIS making videos very shaky. But this call quality issue is starting to become a deal breaker. I am even disappointed the speakers aren't as loud as I was hoping they would be for such large front speakers.

Anyway, I think this has to do with the mic and the noise cancellation not working properly. I hope this is a software fix than N can address and not a hardware limitation.

07-17-2016 07:15 AM
    I don't think it's a defective unit. I think it is a design flaw. I've had this phone for a few months now and my biggest complaint is the call quality is really bad. Especially on speaker phone where the other person says I either echo or it sounds like I am in a tunnel. Even without speaker people tell me to speak up all the time because I sound quiet. I need this phone for work so this is starting to get frustrating. There are other smaller issues I have with this phone like outdoor visibility is bad and lack of OIS making videos very shaky. But this call quality issue is starting to become a deal breaker. I am even disappointed the speakers aren't as loud as I was hoping they would be for such large front speakers.

Anyway, I think this has to do with the mic and the noise cancellation not working properly. I hope this is a software fix than N can address and not a hardware limitation.

There were a bunch of people complaining about this when this phone came out. Also if your covering the noise cancelling mic on the back (the little hole under the middle of the visor) this problem will also occur. I think it's a defective unit. My phone sounds fine, and people can hear me, if on speaker or not. So I'm still thinking you have s defective device.

07-17-2016 10:15 AM
    There were a bunch of people complaining about this when this phone came out. Also if your covering the noise cancelling mic on the back (the little hole under the middle of the visor) this problem will also occur. I think it's a defective unit. My phone sounds fine, and people can hear me, if on speaker or not. So I'm still thinking you have s defective device.

Well. Let's agree to disagree then. The noise cancellation on the mic is trash. Whether that's a design flaw or a defect the end result is the same and should have never passed QC before release.

07-17-2016 02:33 PM
    Well. Let's agree to disagree then. The noise cancellation on the mic is trash. Whether that's a design flaw or a defect the end result is the same and should have never passed QC before release.

Well mine works well...lol

Posted via the awesome Nexus 6P 111GB on T-Mobile :3
    07-17-2016 02:52 PM

There noise cancellation works fine you just happened to stumble upon a bad unit. Hopefully you can still exchange it or RMA it. When you mass produce something your not going to catch every defect in every single unit. Noise cancellation isn't trash, it works on my unit and many others. Sorry you got a bad unit, maybe try to exchange/RMA it, sitting here bashing something instead of trying to fix it probably isn't really helpful.

07-17-2016 03:11 PM
    There noise cancellation works fine you just happened to stumble upon a bad unit. Hopefully you can still exchange it or RMA it. When you mass produce something your not going to catch every defect in every single unit. Noise cancellation isn't trash, it works on my unit and many others. Sorry you got a bad unit, maybe try to exchange/RMA it, sitting here bashing something instead of trying to fix it probably isn't really helpful.

I am going to have someone make some calls on my phone so I can here it from the other person's perspective and then figure out exactly what the issue is. It may not be the mic, I just know that is a known issue. There are a lot more things I like about this phone and very few things I don't. That said, I am not a sycophant for any brand and at the end of the day it is a phone so I would like to place calls and not have to jump through hoops to get decent results. Anyway, I will fiddle with a few things and see if it improves.

maxburn likes this.
    07-17-2016 05:15 PM
    Does it happen when you cradle your phone between your shoulder and your ear?

07-19-2016 09:41 PM
    Does it happen when you cradle your phone between your shoulder and your ear?

No. It happens anytime I am on speaker. Whether it is laying on the table or I am holding it in my hand. I never hold my phone between my shoulder and ear. I am hoping the final version of Nougat addresses this. I heard the camera app launches way faster on N than Marshmallow so I am hopeful there are a few bugs that are getting fixed.

07-20-2016 08:07 AM
    There is a thread pages long about this in the Google Nexus 6p forums. It's definitely an issue for many people and has not been fixed yet although some people say if they root their phone and disable noise cancellation in the build prop it fixes it. People say it doesn't affect speakerphone or Bluetooth just normal calls. I personally have had this issue myself where unless I speak within two inches of the phone mic the caller can't understand me.
    07-28-2016 04:38 PM
    I've had the exact same issue. I use this phone for work- specifically with Project Fi. Seemed like a good fit for me- being that i travel from jobsite to jobsite through different network coverage areas. The phone is great- but the call quality is also turning into a deal breaker for me. I made a call using the hangouts app and the call quality was PERFECT. Forcing me to believe it's a Project Fi issue not a hardware issue. What carrier are you using?
    08-04-2016 10:35 AM
    I've had the exact same issue. I use this phone for work- specifically with Project Fi. Seemed like a good fit for me- being that i travel from jobsite to jobsite through different network coverage areas. The phone is great- but the call quality is also turning into a deal breaker for me. I made a call using the hangouts app and the call quality was PERFECT. Forcing me to believe it's a Project Fi issue not a hardware issue. What carrier are you using?
    I'm now awaiting my fourth RMA device. I RMA'd for this same issue before getting my second device, but the last two had crackling speakers. I use my device on T-Mobile, so it has to be a hardware issue.

08-04-2016 10:40 AM