GPS Issues

laddie79

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I've had a 6P for a few months now with no trouble however the last week or so the GPS has been absolutely dreadful, dropping in and out every few minutes on maps/waze. I have no idea why this is happening. I let it use wifi networks for location too but this hasn't resolved the issue.

I'm generally driving in towns and cities (I'm aware buildings may have an effect but this is in places I've never had problems before).

Anyone else had this problem or know a fix? I factory reset the 6P a few days back already.

Help greatly appreciated!

J

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I use Google maps a fair bit and quite often it does this pop-up asking me to tilt it in various ways to "calibrate" something. It never seems to get it so I just cancel eventually. It doesn't seem to effect anything as I can still use Google maps fine.

Never seen that pop-up on my Nexus 7 which I use for maps the rest of the time.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I use Google maps a fair bit and quite often it does this pop-up asking me to tilt it in various ways to "calibrate" something. It never seems to get it so I just cancel eventually. It doesn't seem to effect anything as I can still use Google maps fine.

Never seen that pop-up on my Nexus 7 which I use for maps the rest of the time.

That is to calibrate the compass which is often "off" to a very substantial degree. I'm trying to find an article that explains why this needs to be done, but Google is failing me right now. Essentially, the solid state compass in your phone can be easily distracted by strong magnetic fields and/or substantial masses of iron or steel (both of which can be found in your vehicle, for example). When using an electronic compass, it is a good idea to have a general knowledge of where true north is located so that you can compare to your compass reading.

See https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6145351?hl=en