Crap Night Mode not in final N release?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Nope.. .they started phasing it out during one of the earlier previews... they pulled the dark mode first, then the night mode followed.

I think this is a tradition now... tease a built in dark mode in the preview, pull it before the final release.

radioactive70

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
83b257aade456aeb8ffd1de27a5777cd.jpg

boss.king

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from the betas and still have Night Mode in the final release. I guess I can just never wipe my phone again because I can't give it up.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm hearing people who upgraded from Beta still have it which is strange. Folks that updated from M don't have night mode. Very strange. Could be a caching issue possibly going from beta to stable.

Last edited:

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm hearing people who upgraded from Beta still have it which is strange. Folks that updated from M don't have night mode. Very strange. Could he a caching issue possibly going from beta to stable.

I upgraded from Beta and still have Night Mode as well.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Can confirm that I still have Night Mode. It's on the second screen of notifications - swipe the screen left and Night Mode is the only option. I never used it before and probably won't start now but I'm confused. I did upgrade from the preview. Got my OTA update yesterday randomly and unexpectedly and installed it.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm hearing people who upgraded from Beta still have it which is strange. Folks that updated from M don't have night mode. Very strange. Could he a caching issue possibly going from beta to stable.

Yeah, here too... I upgraded from dev preview 5 and night mode is still in my options now that I'm on the official build...

Posted via my Nexus 6P running Android N on AT&T (or any d**n network I choose)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You know... I bet you the actual feature is still there, but the option to toggle it got deprecated. So if you used it in prior previews, the entry in the quick settings will remain (since the upgrade tries to maintain your userdata wherever it can). But if you never touched it, it's gone for good (unless you can fuss with the settingsdb manually)

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
You know... I bet you the actual feature is still there, but the option to toggle it got deprecated. So if you used it in prior previews, the entry in the quick settings will remain (since the upgrade tries to maintain your userdata wherever it can). But if you never touched it, it's gone for good (unless you can fuss with the settingsdb manually)

So if I am understanding this correctly, to have night mode available in my settings, I should sign up for the last release of the DP, use it, then update to 7.0.?

My new 6p will be here on the 30th and I would like to have this available to use when it comes in is why I am asking.. Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So if I am understanding this correctly, to have night mode available in my settings, I should sign up for the last release of the DP, use it, then update to 7.0.?

Pretty much. That would trigger the night mode toggle, which, if the other people are correct, should be maintained after the OTA to the full 7.0 release. The only problem there is that it's a dead feature walking.... there's nothing to say that it won't just up and vanish during one of the monthly security updates. You might be better off hunting down a good app that does the same thing.

I never thought the night mode was all that useful personally. It was the DARK mode that I wanted, but they pulled that completely because of design inconsistencies.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much. That would trigger the night mode toggle, which, if the other people are correct, should be maintained after the OTA to the full 7.0 release. The only problem there is that it's a dead feature walking.... there's nothing to say that it won't just up and vanish during one of the monthly security updates. You might be better off hunting down a good app that does the same thing.

I never thought the night mode was all that useful personally. It was the DARK mode that I wanted, but they pulled that completely because of design inconsistencies.

Thanks.. That's what I meant was the dark mode.. For that I guess I can just use my Nova Prime since it works well..

Posted via the Android Central App

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I believe I started with Preview 2 on one of my phones (5X, installed the preview in May) and put the preview on my 6P at the beginning of August, I don't have Night Mode on either phone.

sp44

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

You are correct. I never used it and now it's gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo