Nexus 6P Android 7.0 Nougat Bluetooth issues

uchinan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Been having some issues with Bluetooth since the Nougat update.

Symptoms-
1. First connection to my cars stock headunit I lost skip functionality along with the screen metadata information. This included skip controls from my steering wheel.
2. I deleted both profiles from the headunit and phone and re-paired the devices. I got controls back and metadata, except for elapsed media time.
3. Next day it was back to no controls or metadata. Deleting and re-paring worked again.

I never paid much attention to it before, but it looks like it takes a good minute for my phones BT to 'disable' after I turn my car off. And unfortunately I do not have any other cars or devices that I can test the phones BT out on.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, I am all ears. And thanks in advance. :)

anon(319128)

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Funny....I didn't think about it, but today in the car, I could only start and stop audio with the play button, I got a chapter number for my audio book, but the progress bar didn't move. I'm sure it worked the other day before the 7.0 upgrade. No problem connecting the bluetooth to the car though.

tazz602

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue except with my LG headset or any other bluetooth. BT just disables after a minute or two - but then later in the day seems to work and stay on for some reason. Two days in a row.

I went to the google forum yesterday - they had me boot into safe mode and it stayed on, I booted back normally and it disabled after a minute. They are saying it's a downloaded app causing the issue, but I swear the issue started after getting the google connectivity service update three days ago.

I need help if anyone figures this out .:(

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
they had me boot into safe mode and it stayed on, I booted back normally and it disabled after a minute. They are saying it's a downloaded app causing the issue
I'd have to agree with their assessment based on the information you've provided. Simplest thing to do is a Factory Reset, update all of the Google Apps, disable any other built-in apps (and don't install any others) and then use Bluetooth until you've either proved that it works to your satisfaction or that it doesn't.

If the former, begin reinstalling your usual apps one at a time and using Bluetooth until the problem crops up again - voila, you've identified the culprit.

If the latter, get back on the Google forum and tell them what you did to isolate the problem and ask for next steps.

tazz602

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any idea how incredibly time consuming that would be, I work and I use my phone daily, there are now 66 apps that have permission to Bluetooth. Isn't there a log or something I can access to get some information on why BT won't stay enabled and disables itself??

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any idea how incredibly time consuming that would be....Isn't there a log or something I can access to get some information on why BT won't stay enabled and disables itself??
I don't remember saying anything about how easy/hard it would be - I said it would help you to narrow down the problem.

As for logging, you can go to Settings ->Developer options (obviously that has to be enabled if you don't see it) and turn on 'Enable Bluetooth HCI snoop log'
b909fe5b3c1cc63838b71d397fdbc7b6.jpg
I haven't personally used that feature, so I can't even tell you where to find said log file, what it contains or how difficult it will be to interpret, but perhaps someone on the Google forums or over on XDA can supply that information.

Edit: you'll find 'btsnoop_hci.log' in the top level directory when you open Explore (or whatever file manager you prefer). I don't happen to have an app that will open log files but I'm sure you can find one.

Another Edit: after more digging it's unlikely that you'll get any benefit out of this. I couldn't find an Android app that would make any sense out of the log, and the only program (Wireshark - available on Windows) that I saw identified with it requires some in depth communication skills. Sorry.

Last edited:

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Considering that numerous people had Bluetooth issues before the nougat update, I'm starting to think it's just the phone. I was hoping nougat would fix my issues, but looks like it won't. :'(

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Considering that numerous people had Bluetooth issues before the nougat update, I'm starting to think it's just the phone. I was hoping nougat would fix my issues, but looks like it won't. :'(

Just wanted to post one response from a Nexus 6p owner (since December) who has had no BT issues. I use BT all the time with this phone. I had no problems with any BT functionality while on Marshmallow, and nothing has changed with Nougat. There must be some phones out there that have hardware issues. I would be in touch directly with Google about it, cuz that would drive me crazy to not have full BT functionality.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to post one response from a Nexus 6p owner (since December) who has had no BT issues. I use BT all the time with this phone. I had no problems with any BT functionality while on Marshmallow, and nothing has changed with Nougat. There must be some phones out there that have hardware issues. I would be in touch directly with Google about it, cuz that would drive me crazy to not have full BT functionality.

Same for me.. No issues with MM or Nugat it hooks up fast and stays connected..

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded from MM to N beta to full release and I've had the same bluetooth devices since the first day I got the phone. I set them up once and that was it. I never had to set them up again and I have full functionality in my car as well as on my headphones.

For reference, my car is a 2014 corolla LE and my headphones are Sony (not sure which model but they retail for about $90)

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Don't know if my issue is related but about a month ago I started having issues with Bluetooth connection in my vehicles. Happened in each one, so I know it wasn't the cars or other bluetooth devices with similar issue. Unlike most of the rest of you on this thread however, I have NOT done the Nougat update. I'm still on 6.0.1 with an August 5th patch update. The only thing that would "fix" it would be if I reset the phone.

I love my phone and this is really the first issue I've had with it since November of last year. Just odd that even without the N update, like you guys I'm having Bluetooth issues. Think it may be related to any patches or other thoughts?

bjsa1965

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Personally, I'm sick of Android Bluetooth issues. I like android but I have not had one device, Nexus or otherwise, that would play well in any of the cars I've owned over the last several years. I own a Nexus 6P and a 2015 Mini Cooper with the JCW package. It has the best audio system available for the Mini Cooper. When using Google Maps with any other audio app, Google Music, Tidal, or Smart Books for audiobooks, you cannot hear voice prompts from Maps. And when it tries, it totally ruins the connection of the other audio app. I have to manually click play again on the Music app and most of the time, it plays but can't be heard. Solution? Open up another audio app, hit play and the connection returns. Until you get another voice prompt from Maps, which again you can't hear, and have to start the process all over to continue listening to music or audiobook. This is insane. And not isolated to this device.

I can't believe how sloppy the Bluetooth is. Google comes up with some great software tricks but they can't even work out something as basic as Bluetooth. I've had some sort of BT issue with EVERY android device that I've owned. Samsung, LG, Sony, and now Nexus. My girlfriend has a Lumia 950XL that works perfectly on my car unit. Maps, music, everything. The same goes for my company iPhone. It streams perfectly, pausing other audio apps for the navigation prompt and resuming as soon as it's finished.

If Apple and others can get this right, why can't Google? I'm on Nougat now and there has been ZERO improvement with the BT from Marshmallow, which was on the device when I bought it a few weeks ago. I'm ready to just give up on Android all together. These solutions of factory reset, reinstall each app and test extensively before installing another, blah blah... It's silly to keep beta testing these phones when others, forgive me, "just work" out the box for the basics like Bluetooth, wifi, etc.

And before the usual, "you're an Apple shill" etc., start berating me, no. I have a Lumia, Nexus and 6S Plus. As a programmer, I'm platform agnostic. I use Linux, Windows, and OSX. This is a real issue. And it's pointless for those of you who's device works perfectly out of the box with no issues, blah blah... Fine. I don't doubt that. But if your device is 100% perfect, you aren't helping by telling me that. You're just unnecessarily defending the device. I already like the device, Or inferring that because you don't have the issue, I don't. Or don't know what I'm doing, which I assure you is not the case. I just want it to work as reliably as my iPhone or Lumia. Is that really a lot to ask from Google?

terminator y2k

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
On this same note, I had purchased a UE Megaboom speaker but returned it because while using Pandora, I would change stations but when I would change stations, the sound would stop but it would keep the song playing. So the song was playing but there would be no sound. So after I would change stations and the sound stopped, I would have to pause the station then hit play again and it would work. I tried it with my iPad and it worked okay. But I noticed the iPad handles Pandora a bit different. I was really bummed too bc that speaker sounded really well. So maybe it's a Nexus 6p bug?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I've had some sort of BT issue with EVERY android device that I've owned. Samsung, LG, Sony, and now Nexus. My girlfriend has a Lumia 950XL that works perfectly on my car unit. Maps, music, everything. The same goes for my company iPhone....Is that really a lot to ask from Google?
I've had a similar experience with every Android phone I've had (HTC, Droid, Samsung) and every Bluetooth headset I've tried (multiple Motorola, LG). So I guess the answer is 'yes, it is too much for Google to get right'.
Fortunately you've identified two other device ecosystems that work well for you - good luck. I have too much invested in Android to switch.

elcustardo

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
I find the 6P slow to connect to my cars Parrot handsfree (vs my old HTC One M7)
Also it seems to have a far shorter range with my Sony bluetooth headset. Eg with the HTC I could have the phone in my pocket and be on a call,with the 6P I can suffer break up over bluetooth.
Today I was seated at a able watching Sky Go. If I turned my head to look behind me I would lose sound over my headphones.
The HTC would work even if I walked away from it.

Edit: also when I use the phone in the car and it connected to the Parrot handsfree. It cuts the radio even if I open an app such as Facebook.
Very annoying.

tazz602

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
For me - this issues seemed to be the LG Tone and Talk app - I have LG headphones and was using that app to let it read SMS and other notifications to me. The current version doesn't seem stable and it was causing the Bluetooth issue intermittently. I'm stable now, crossing my fingers.

korben78

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I've got the same issue with my 6P since the upgrade to N. My 2016 Mazda has problems connecting to the handset sometimes, and when it does i have limited functionality over Bluetooth. The track progress doesn't display correctly. Yet on my Note 7 (returned) and my S7 edge it works fine. My Work phone is an iPhone and that one is fine too. Definitely seems like a 6P issue.

Mattamus Prime

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I've got the same issue with my 6P since the upgrade to N. My 2016 Mazda has problems connecting to the handset sometimes, and when it does i have limited functionality over Bluetooth. The track progress doesn't display correctly. Yet on my Note 7 (returned) and my S7 edge it works fine. My Work phone is an iPhone and that one is fine too. Definitely seems like a 6P issue.

Same here. Also a 2016 Mazda. 6p worked perfectly before the update.

Now, post Nougat update, it usually works, but the played duration never works anymore. Play/pause and the skip buttons usually work.

But maybe 25% of the time, the car shows only a play/pause button. The track information, play duration, and skip buttons are all simply gone. If I hit pause while it's like that, then hit play, it will cause the connection to disconnect. Every time.

It also has a harder time connecting in the first place.

Only thing that works for me when it's like this is to restart the phone. Then it'll go back to mostly working (minus played duration).

Last edited:

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I've just swapped my car and noticed that BT music works slightly differently on the new one.
I too had limited functionality. Seems to be related to whether the music app is open or just playing via the widget (if that makes sense). Open the app and all works fine. Just connect and play music and the skip buttons, album art etc don't work.
Music also takes a while to get started even though I can make a call pretty much instantly.
New Toyota Auris with touch and go 2.