Ya Know... I'm so happy that I bought the 6p and didn't buy the Note 7.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I value my house and my belongings, and I dont think an issurance company would pay that much out if it burnt down.. so Im glad i didnt buy a Note 7..

Buy a Note 4 instead.. its cheaper, a better phone.. IR Blaster, Removable battery, an awesome screen and waay better Audio playback through both headphones and because theres no rediculous water proof membrane... the speaker is really good and loud.for a single speaker,,

£800 / $1000 for a phone with a pen in it... good grief

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I value my house and my belongings, and I dont think an issurance company would pay that much out if it burnt down.. so Im glad i didnt buy a Note 7..

Buy a Note 4 instead.. its cheaper, a better phone.. IR Blaster, Removable battery, an awesome screen and waay better Audio playback through both headphones and because theres no rediculous water proof membrane... the speaker is really good and loud.for a single speaker,,

I considered the Note 4 for about 1 minute.

Since the S-pen isn't a selling point with me, nor is the Samsung bloat, and knowing that you can't get as new of one as you can with the 6p I passed on it rather quickly. Now if you have to have a replaceable battery and the S-pen it's about as good as you can get for sure..

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This is why you should never buy a advanced flagship smartphone when it first comes out. I actually wait about 9 to 10 months before the new one comes out. By then the major hardware and software problems are fixed and it is cheaper to buy. I did this with the Nexus 5, 6 and now 6P.

I agree with you, as well. It's better to err on the side of caution, especially when you're considering an expensive investment.

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Ya Know... I'm so happy that I bought the 6p.

Hmm... Let's see...

Samsung causes this and I am supposed to praise them for trying to correct their mistakes?

Samsung put profit above safety by rushing these into the market by not fully testing them... And I am supposed to thank them for recalling them?

If Samsung really cared about it's customers safety.. These batteries and what ever else is wrong with the phone to cause them to explode and catch fire would never have been shipped out.. They should have continue the delay and fully vetted the phone... They didn't do this... They rushed these phones out to meet shipping demands...

Let's try this... Let's acknowledge that they are doing the right thing.... And leave it at that.

I see the term QC thrown around here very often and wonder if there is a true understanding of QC and the metrics that tie into QC. It is obvious they have had some devices that have a serious defect but that doesn't mean QC was not conducted and that they rushed the device to market. I own the 7 and the 6P, so I'm not jonesing for Samsung. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and my response is not to change anyone's mind, but to educate where necessary. They have devices with defects in the market and they have addressed the situation as expeditiously as anyone could have imagined. This doesn't exonerate them from the mistake but they're taking the proper action to rectify in a prompt manner. If you or I made a huge mistake, we would want to have the best PR to assuage customers, family, friends, and try to restore our reputation the best we can. I've owned mobile phones for 10 years and this is the first time this has happened to any device I've owned. Does this mean they put profit first? They are a for profit company. The goal is always to profit. Having said that, they also have to provide a product that will capture the attention of the market AND ensure it passes threshold for any metrics as it pertains to QC.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I fully understand what QC is, I also understand they are in a real pickle too

They are hoping that the risk is small and the recall works, but only time will tell if this is the case.

SDI is owned by Samsung and since the batteries that make up 70% of the devices shipped makes this the real issue, also coupled with the reports that their engineers had reports before the release of the phone makes this even worse.

Do I give them credit for acting quickly, certainly they did the right thing and aren't trying to hide it. But doing the right thing is exactly what a company is expected to do...

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

I see the term QC thrown around here very often and wonder if there is a true understanding of QC and the metrics that tie into QC. It is obvious they have had some devices that have a serious defect but that doesn't mean QC was not conducted and that they rushed the device to market. I own the 7 and the 6P, so I'm not jonesing for Samsung. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and my response is not to change anyone's mind, but to educate where necessary. They have devices with defects in the market and they have addressed the situation as expeditiously as anyone could have imagined. This doesn't exonerate them from the mistake but they're taking the proper action to rectify in a prompt manner. If you or I made a huge mistake, we would want to have the best PR to assuage customers, family, friends, and try to restore our reputation the best we can. I've owned mobile phones for 10 years and this is the first time this has happened to any device I've owned. Does this mean they put profit first? They are a for profit company. The goal is always to profit. Having said that, they also have to provide a product that will capture the attention of the market AND ensure it passes threshold for any metrics as it pertains to QC.

I can't prove my gut feeling on all of this, but I firmly believe that they did put profits ahead of safety with this device.

Now they are saying this...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/09/tec...consumer-product-safety-commission/index.html

I'm pretty sure this will put the nail in the coffin of the Note 7... It does as far as I am concerned at least.. And folks can make of it as they see fit. My friends who are still using their note 7's have all been texted with the link and I suggest that everyone else do the same thing.. The sooner all of them are off the street the better it will be.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Completely understand your point but the note 4 is no comparison to the note 7. The note 4 was ahead of its time but older slower TouchWiz,more of a brick ala Nexus 6p scratches easily, and much slower.

Good phone wouldn't buy one now it's too outdated.

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site

I can't prove my gut feeling on all of this, but I firmly believe that they did put profits ahead of safety with this device.

Now they are saying this...

U.S. and Samsung tell Galaxy Note 7 owners: Power down now - Sep. 9, 2016

I'm pretty sure this will put the nail in the coffin of the Note 7... It does as far as I am concerned at least.. And folks can make of it as they see fit. My friends who are still using their note 7's have all been texted with the link and I suggest that everyone else do the same thing.. The sooner all of them are off the street the better it will be.

I totally dig what you're saying and hopefully my response didn't come off with ire. I work for a major financial institution and when things happen, I know they're not sinister in nature. I read through threads and people tend to think everything is sinister and that's not the case MOST of the time. LOL. Samsung has too much to lose to be sinister, yet this will be a black eye for quite some time. I know that I am patiently awaiting my new Note 7 as it is the best all around device on the market (where size doesn't matter) in my opinion.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

They didn't do it on purpose. If they did and then tried to correct it your first statement would make sense.

Mistakes happen. It's kind of ridiculous to act like every company is absolutely perfect and will never make a mistake. If that was the case then warranties wouldn't exist. So yes I applaud them for owning their mistake instead of acting like it wasn't them.

It's actually admirable for them to recall an issue like this when Apple didn't do a damn thing for the iPhone 4 and 6 Plus. Faults will occur when the demand is so high. I hope people will actually look back at this and not just see the negative side of things.

Remember that the Note 7 is still an excellent phone. This setback doesn't change that and I think people that want it won't be swayed by anything else because of how unique the Note 7's features are.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I know that this is a very long response and I apologize for it.

I don't think the Note7 is a excellent phone.. I am sorry but that's just how I feel.

Sure it's got some nice features like the s-pen but in all honesty that's the only real thing I see that is worthwhile.

I really am a practical type of phone user who approaches picking up a new phone like I would any tool I need and in this way see all of the extras as added baggage. I don't buy a phone to use as a status symbol or because it is designed different, I buy it to use and expect it to work with out issues..

Now for those who need or want to use them it is something beneficial to them.

I really don't understand the importance of using a fragile material in something that is easily dropped, banged, scraped, or sat on,nor do I understand the fascination with having a curved screen that distorts what you are looking at, and that is more prone to breaking all for the need to satisfy the pundits of "premium materials".. putting form above function just to be different.

To truly be a excellent phone it has to excell in all things considered and the core of any phone is it's software.. and no matter what anyone says Touch Wiz is nothing more than a bloat infested mess trying to be all things to all people. It's a system resource hog and always will become a lagfest in a short amount of time. I'm not just talking about opening apps repeatedly neither, but full blown lag in the phone on day to day usage which I have seen first hand on several occasions or various devices on various carriers using the keyboard, or making phone calls, or opening the camera.

Samsung has captured the hearts of millions with designing something different that people overlook the obvious... Call it misdirection if you prefer to. People like different.. I get that but at the end of the day.. Is those differences really better? Do you really benefit more from them?

No I'm sorry but I don't think the Note7 is a excellent phone.... NOT by a long shot. The phone has some serious problems and not just the batteries and all you need to do is look to the forums prior to the recall and you will see this plainly, unless you are a Samsung apologist who try to drown out any opposing opinions or discount other people's complaints which seems to be the thing to do these days..

Don't get me wrong here, everyone is entitled to their opinion, just as I am so I understand completely we don't see eye to eye on this..

I did a ton of research this time around before buying a new phone. I came to the conclusion that I needed a solid foundation of the software,something that is free of things that make it choke so I wasn't plagued with the issues that so often I had been or waiting on a update that may or may not come. I wanted a phone that looked good,had excellent speakers and functioned perfectly, and one that had a great track record for updates and wasn't filled with needless bloat and was a good value for my money . This is something that the Note 7 could not offer even though all of the reviews have said that it was the greatest Android phone ever.... So whose kidding who? I've always liked Samsung and have had a ton of their products..and their phones so I know how they really are.

I guess if I had spent that much money on it I would be defending and championing it as well, but like I said I am a practical type of guy and the note 7 isn't a practical phone.

As to the recall.. Yes it's admirable for them to step up to the plate and recall their defective devices that can cause serious accidents... But the flip side of this for me is that is exactly what they are supposed to do. If they have become so lax in their testing and Quality Control, and in their haste to get them out before the IPhone launch which is very apparent this is the case, why would I say it is a excellent phone? How can anyone honestly say that it is now..unless they are being paid to say it in some way or refusing to acknowledge that they were premature with their assessment of it. I mean it's too new a phone to have made all the claims of being excellent or being the best ever that some people have made..IMHO, It takes more than a few weeks to adequately do this.. I think it's a good phone that has more negatives than positives at the moment.. And maybe Samsung is going to update the software to fix the issues with the replacement devices.. If they don't then their predicament will be on going.

Last edited:

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I bumped my thread back up now that the Pixels are out and with the possibility of another recall looming on the horizon for the Note 7..

Man.. When it rains it pours.....

I'm pretty safe saying that our 6p's are going to be a sought for device for those who love to root and add a custom rom now and I don't see the prices falling off too much for a while. As to the Note 7 nightmare, what else can be said for it. I still feel for those who are in a quandary wither they should exchange them or not, because most people I know who have them really like them..

If it were me (thank goodness I went with the 6p) I would just take it back..

I am really looking forward to seeing just how much better this last Nexus can become.. Battery life is outstanding.. It really is, the camera is fantastic now and doesn't seem to lag like it did before, the screen is still awesome and the sounds still are great.. No lag, no bloat, no BS..

The honeymoon still continues..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20