Who is keeping the 6p this year

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I won't upgrade until the 2017 phones come out. Google takes two steps forward in odd years and one step back in even years, this year looks to be the same.
2011 Galaxy Nexus, OLED screen, LTE
2012 Nexus 4, LCD screen no LTE (giant step back)
2013 Nexus 5, 1080P, LTE and wireless charging (was an awesome phone for the time). Very cheap.
2014 Nexus 6. to large for the times (although post 6P, maybe not). Way to expensive,
2015 Nexus 6P. 5.7" QHD OLED, Stereo speakers, very sensitive camera. Great phone but it did have one regression, i.e. no wireless charging. Cheap for a QHD Phablet.
2016 Puny screens, no stereo speakers, supposedly a big price increase. Don't know about the cameras yet. Another step back.

The Pixels could still surprise us but if the rumor mill is correct there is no reason to replace the 6P.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I got my 6P and my wife's 5X in May when we joined Project Fi. I see no reason to upgrade to the "latest and greatest" if there isn't a really compelling reason to do so. If there is a compelling reason then maybe I'll change my mind but I don't see that happening.

Good for you! It seems that a lot of users here who bought the Nexus 6P are happy with it and are sticking with it for the long run! That's awesome! :)

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I just got one the other day and like it a lot. I've been wanting to switch out from Moto XPE and get back to a Google phone, but the rumored pricing of the new Pixel phones is way too high for me. Got my 6P on ebay at around $150 less than new pricing. I'll wait a while until someone runs a nice promo before I get the Pixel XL. Until then, I'm very happy with this. Smoother and snappier than the XPE, amazing display, and excellent camera. Only thing I miss are the Moto actions and Moto's active display. The 6P fingerprint sensor makes up for that.

Completely agree on all points. Switched from MXPE to the Nexus 6p in late July and never looked back. Love this phone. I have absolutely no plan to do any further upgrades.

Clifton Richie

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm keeping mine but getting an IP7 plus. I have Verizon and my signal is awful on the 6p. Tried the Note, wasn't impressed. TouchWiz is total trash and can't deal anymore. The idea that I can't get timely updates to my Android phones will hopefully make the switch to a new ecosystem easier.

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I see no reason for a change.
Specs on newer phones might be better on the paper, but in real life you very seldom notice a difference. So as long as my 6P runs this fast and has enough battery power, I don't see a new phone for me ...

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Not sure exactly when you purchased it but it's showing at $649 on Google now. Might be worth contacting them to see if anything can be done. Just a thought... In any case, enjoy it! It's a great phone!

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not sure exactly when you purchased it but it's showing at $649 on Google now. Might be worth contacting them to see if anything can be done. Just a thought... In any case, enjoy it! It's a great phone!

He also said he got the 2 year warranty, which IIRC is $89 and brings the total to $738, and then tax on top of it he could easily be at $800. It's too bad he wasn't able to get one when they were dropping the price a few months back, but as I've found life rarely works out how we want or to our benefit.

As far as upgrading, barring any major issues with my 6p, I'll he sticking with mine. I've also got the 2 year warranty like Scott did, and although it's transferrable, the only thing I'm really seeing in the Pixel devices that would really benefit me is the newer possibly more battery efficient processor. Not enough to warrant shelling out that much again with less than a year under its belt. Plus I want to see where the Pixel line is planning to go before jumping in (Is it the Nexus with just a new name, or is it going to change more and maybe not for the better?). Maybe next year.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I love my 6p. I just hope it gets all the software updates the pixel gets. If it does I might not switch for a couple more years.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I love my 6p. I just hope it gets all the software updates the pixel gets. If it does I might not switch for a couple more years.

It will get Oreo and that's it. Nexus's get 3 OS versions, the one in comes with and the next two. The Pixel will get Praline as well as Oreo.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
He also said he got the 2 year warranty, which IIRC is $89 and brings the total to $738, and then tax on top of it he could easily be at $800.

Yup. ^^^ Also had to add in $10 for fast shipping because wifey's phone died. She had to have something fast, so they got me.

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Keeping my 6p for at least another year. By this time next year it'll be reaching end-of-update life (for OS updates), and I'll reassess at that time.

Still waiting on the 7.0U OTA myself. Was hoping that mine would come up sooner in the queue, as I'm using Fi, but in no particular rush...

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm waiting to see the Pixel. I suspect that it will have stereo speakers in the same way as the iPhone has.
Depends on price etc. Don't mind a similar price to the 6P but won't pay more.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting to see the Pixel. I suspect that it will have stereo speakers in the same way as the iPhone has.
Depends on price etc. Don't mind a similar price to the 6P but won't pay more.

All the reports indicate that the Pixel's don't have stereo speakers, that's a reason to stay with the 6P. I did see one rumor that said there would be dual cameras, but I doubt it. On the off chance that there are dual cameras then I might consider an upgrade otherwise there would be no point in getting a Pixel.

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
All the reports indicate that the Pixel's don't have stereo speakers, that's a reason to stay with the 6P. I did see one rumor that said there would be dual cameras, but I doubt it. On the off chance that there are dual cameras then I might consider an upgrade otherwise there would be no point in getting a Pixel.

Keep hearing rumours but nothing seems concrete or even confident. I'd be surprised to see a major backwards step though.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I was hoping to snag another 6P when the Pixel comes out at around $550 CDN for the 128GB version. If the Marlin is priced anywhere close to the HTC 10 it will be over $1,000 CDN and I am not paying that much for any phone.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If the XL was actually XL I would have picked it up this year. However it is smaller than the 6P and just doesn't seem like it is really an upgrade. Also if this is pixel pricing it'll make the 6P look cheap. So I'll pass this year. Maybe next year they will make a real XL phone, not a 5.5" small phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12