Can anyone help me out with a sideload error? Total xfer: 0.00x

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I literally have a fresh out of the box Nexus 6P. I booted it, went through the whole set up but set it up as a new device. It offered to install the May security update but I declined.

I made it to the point where I picked "apply update from ADB" and it is waiting for the sideload.

When I type "adb devices", I get a string of numbers representing the device and the word "sideload"

I type in "adb sideload <name of zip>" and it returns: Total xfer: 0.00x

I did this on my last Nexus and I don't recall running into any problems. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!!!!

nnthemperor

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Not as knowledged as most on this forum, but if it is possible to start afresh, it's much easier to enroll in the beta program, upgrade via the OTA and then unenroll.
That's assuming what you're sideloading is Nougat.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Not as knowledged as most on this forum, but if it is possible to start afresh, it's much easier to enroll in the beta program, upgrade via the OTA and then unenroll.
That's assuming what you're sideloading is Nougat.

Yeah.... heading that direction. I want ot make sure I get nrd90u though. Is that what you got?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Ah.... wait.... I didn't read my phone...it says:

E: footer is wrong
E: signature verification failed

I downloaded the zip again. Same error. I'm going to start googling that....

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Dude I have no idea what you're talking about. Just got my 6p a few days ago and read that was the best way to get the latest OS.

Don't worry about it. That's the build of the latest version of Nougat.

To anyone else that reads this.... I knew if I posted it, I would magically find the answer. This is it.... <doh!> I was trying to sideload the Factory Image and not the OTA file. I downloaded the OTA file and now it's loading. I don't really understand the difference between Factory Image and OTA image though.

Sorry to create this rambling thread. :-[

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't really understand the difference between Factory Image and OTA image though.

An OTA is usually just a small subset of files that the system needs to load to update itself... say getting a security update that might only be 50MB to 100MB. They are often build specific... i.e. to install the September 6.0.1 update, you would need to load it on top of the August 6.0.1 update, etc.

But this OTA is a little bit different as it is a major system upgrade. I took a quick look at the 7.0 OTA, and it's nearly as big as the full on factory image... only16MB smaller... so, without tearing it down to its tiny bits, the 7.0 OTA file that Google released is basically a full on factory image that's been OTA-ified... meaning it has been packed and signed to allow the stock recovery to install it automatically AND it won't wipe your data in the process.

Granted, if you grab the full factory image, take the '-w' switch out of the flash-all.bat script and run that, you'd end up in the exact same spot as the OTA would leave you.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and M was the initial 7.0 final build that they rolled out to the users who had signed up for the beta program. Google figured that we'd all make for perfect guinea pigs... they released NRD90M, started to get back reports of issues in the field, fixed whatever was wrong and then released NRD90U.

So if you are on M.... you'll get the U build eventually... unless you do like my man PaulQ here and take the bull by the horns and flash it yourself. I honestly can't recall the last time I took an actual OTA on a Nexus device. Maybe the Nexus 6, but that was because the notification popped as soon as I powered on the phone and I didn't have anything better to do with it at the time. Once you have the adb/fastboot stuff set up, its SOOOO easy to do it yourself.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
An OTA is usually just a small subset of files that the system needs to load to update itself.

So to put it in Windows terms, a factory Image is like a Windows image that completely replaces everything on the phone. An OTA is more like a Windows update that goes in and updates parts of Windows?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So to put it in Windows terms, a factory Image is like a Windows image that completely replaces everything on the phone. An OTA is more like a Windows update that goes in and updates parts of Windows?

Yeah, pretty much. The factory image is like the DVD install. And the OTA is like those installable updates that Windows Update downloads... it could be something as small as a single bug fix involving only a couple of files, or something massive, like a service pack.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
They released NRD90U just last week because people were reporting unusual battery drain. I had NRD90M on my previous 6P and did not notice any unusual battery drain.
Funny that you mentioned that - I also had NRD90M and hadn't experienced any battery issues. Then I decided to enable file level encryption (Settings -> Developer options -> Convert to file encryption [which appears to be a one-way street, BTW]) which also requires a Factory Reset (which I was prepared for) - after that my battery life has been terrible: the Kernel is constantly keeping the system awake. I don't know if this is a side effect of file level encryption (very bad if it is) or something else in the mix. YMMV.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Then I decided to enable file level encryption (Settings -> Developer options -> Convert to file encryption [which appears to be a one-way street, BTW]) which also requires a Factory Reset (which I was prepared for) - after that my battery life has been terrible: the Kernel is constantly keeping the system awake. I don't know if this is a side effect of file level encryption (very bad if it is) or something else in the mix. YMMV.

Wait... of course this is off topic.... I thought the phone was encrypted by default? Is "File Encrytion" different?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Wait... of course this is off topic.... I thought the phone was encrypted by default? Is "File Encrytion" different?

Yeah... by default, the phone uses block level encryption. But FLE is something that's still in testing a bit, hence the big warnings and it being buried in Developer Options. I certainly won't run it on anything that I'd need to use on a reliable basis.... any time you combine the words 'encryption' and 'still in development', its a recipe for bad news.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol