Nougat battery

Raydee

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I am noticing that my 6p seems to drain the battery more than marshmallow. Doze seems to be working correctly but the battery seems to drain just sitting. Does this look correct?
bce756783f7548ce5c34daa0008879b9.jpg

heartagram616

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
mine has been averaging around 7 hours with only 1.5 hours of screen on time so I would say yours is amazing. I used to get over 14 hours and only thing that has changed is getting nougat.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Does this look correct?
It's really hard to tell since the percentages shown in the screenshot don't give specific information (ex. number of hours/minutes of screen on time). If you use a tool like GSam (mentioned by a previous poster) you can look at more specific data, particularly if you enable the non-root workaround that allows you to see a breakdown of specific app usage.

With all of that said, a good test if you want to know if Doze is doing its job during inactivity would be to fully charge the device before you go to bed and leave it off the charger while you sleep. When you wake up hopefully you'll see 4% or less of usage for an 8 hour period.

You can also look at the "History details" screen (press the graph in the screen you showed us) to see how your cellular signal is and how the Awake time compares to the Screen on time (ideally they'd be very similar).

mcostajr

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm finding that my battery life has gotten terrible since upgrading to N. I do find that doze is more aggressive and while it's active the battery drains very little. However, once I unlock my phone and use it, the battery takes a nose dive. So doze is only helpful if I don't actually use my phone. With Marshmallow I could go the whole day at least, about 20 hours and still have some juice left. Now, I'm lucky to get 8-10 hours. I've just found in general that my 6P does not perform very well after upgrading to Nougat. It's slower, laggy. I've done a FR twice, but nothing has changed. Very frustrating.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I've done a FR twice, but nothing has changed.
Did you setup your device as 'new' after the Factory Reset or did you let Google restore your previous setup?
Did you reinstall your apps immediately after?
Have you tried using something like GSam Battery Monitor Pro https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro&token=hfwAO3WX (especially with the non-root workaround) to see what's using the battery?
What build are you running (NRD90T or NRD90U)?

Vtec-Pete

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I've just installed the N update and suddenly my battery life has become dreadful; I'm not a massive user of the phone so GSAM had me averaging 1 day 3 hours on MM. I've only been using the phone for 2 hours and have hardly done anything with it yet, but GSAM is predicting 16:52 left and it's running at approx 5.5% per hour rather than 3.3% as it used to.

GSAM can no longer report specific app usage and instead has to sum everything up under "combined app CPU" so I can't see if anything specific is destroying my battery.

Do I need to do anything after the update (clear cache for example) to make it work more efficiently or is this just a "feature" of N. If it is, that's pretty disappointing.

Cheers

Pete

Munter2

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I use battery Widget Reborn and it acted like that too after the N update, but settled after a day. It doesn't work as well as it did with Marshmallow, but it works. You may see the same thing with GSAM. It looks to me like these battery apps probably need to be replaced with ones that work right with Nougat.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
GSAM can no longer report specific app usage and instead has to sum everything up under "combined app CPU" so I can't see if anything specific is destroying my battery.
You can enable GSam to report specific app usage with the following ADB command:

adb -d shell pm grant com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro android.permission.BATTERY_STATS

(if you're using the free version remove .pro from the command line)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I've just installed the N update and suddenly my battery life has become dreadful...Do I need to do anything after the update (clear cache for example) to make it work more efficiently or is this just a "feature" of N.
Which build are you running - NRD90T or NRD90U?

I'd recommend a system cache wipe and a Factory Reset following any major OS update. Just seems to result in fewer problems.

Vtec-Pete

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
It's NRD90U. I don't think I can cope with going through a full factory reset so I'll try to get by for now. What I've noticed, having had it running for a few days now, is that it uses much less juice when left alone (better doze functionality) but seems to really go for it when I actually start using the phone and the battery drops rapidly.

Maybe the next update will sort things out.

Pete

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Try disabling Bluetooth (when not in-use), that more or less fixed it, for me, for now.

I know it's not convenient, but not having any battery left is less convenient, IMO.

There are some various BT bugs right now, seems obvious, to me anyway, I'm participating in discussion about several on the Google product forums as well (I have another post in here too).

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I've just installed the N update and suddenly my battery life has become dreadful; I'm not a massive user of the phone so GSAM had me averaging 1 day 3 hours on MM. I've only been using the phone for 2 hours and have hardly done anything with it yet, but GSAM is predicting 16:52 left and it's running at approx 5.5% per hour rather than 3.3% as it used to.

Do I need to do anything after the update (clear cache for example) to make it work more efficiently or is this just a "feature" of N. If it is, that's pretty disappointing.

Cheers

Pete

Do you use Android Wear? If so, factory reset may be your option.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I had a very unusual experience after upgrading to N last week: my battery life actually increased significantly for the first 2 days, before settling down just about where it was before; maybe just a little bit better.

onedollarinmywallet

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been getting the reminders on my phone to upgrade to Nougat (7.0) on my 6P but after reading all these posts about decreasing battery life, I'm hesitant to. Does battery life actually decreases overall, by consensus?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm