Pixel Phones, What is Google Thinking

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The Pixel announcement is just a week away so we are getting the final rumors. The final specs and pricing looks really unappealing.

1) No 64G version, just 32 and 128, a very Apple like thing to do, either two little or force you to buy to much.
2) $700 for a Pixel XL, not clear if this is for the 32 or 126G but either way it's much more expensive than the 6P. This is an Apple price not a Nexus price.
3) Some sort of Pixel only skin, a very Samsung type of thing.

If all those things are true there is no way I would buy one to replace the 6P. The only improvement is a modest CPU speed bump, hardly worth $700.

The proprietary interface is the really confusing thing. The whole point of the Nexus program is to provide Android the way it's supposed to be, and to make it available to the OEMs.

Who are these phones targeted at? Does Google really think they can compete directly with Samsung? And if so aren't they worried about offending their OEMs?

I've always bought Nexus phones because I want the earliest access to the latest software and I don't mind running beta code, in fact I prefer it (my desktop runs Fedora). But if Google intends to make the Pixels a more mainstream phone then I might just as well by a flagship from Samsung or LG. If they don't return to their roots next year then I'll either by a Note 8 (plus a fire extinguisher) or an LG V30.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Well they are trying to sell their other hardware as well so I don't know if they want to become a devices company as well in addition to being a software giant. Kinda like what MSFT attempted with the Surface and then Lumia (which failed pretty badly).

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I am a little bit worried about it too.

I really like my 6p and certainly don't want Google to try to appease the curved screen glass back lovers. Neither Apple or Samsung devices do I want to have or something in between.

I bought my 1st Nexus to get away from them and LG and HTC... and here they go right back to them...

If they go out and try to be more like them I'll look into the Chinese flagships when time comes to upgrade..

nnthemperor

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Well they are trying to sell their other hardware as well so I don't know if they want to become a devices company as well in addition to being a software giant. Kinda like what MSFT attempted with the Surface and then Lumia (which failed pretty badly).
Which of them failed, the surface or the Lumia line or both?

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Rumors are just that until October 4th. People can say anything on any website and until we get the official reveal, any or all information can be wrong. I'm not going to worry about it until the 4th, myself.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Rumors are just that until October 4th. People can say anything on any website and until we get the official reveal, any or all information can be wrong. I'm not going to worry about it until the 4th, myself.

Hey hey! Check the common sense at the door.

OP, you addressed your whole issue within your own post. You're right, Nexus phones were, and still kind of are, meant to appeal to developers and be a vessel for plain Android.

If Google does indeed come out with "Pixel" phones then you have no reason to be upset. They're not Nexii, which is the reason for the name change I assume. And I'm betting they'll make no claim that they're Nexii or Nexii replacements. They're new phones that serve as Google's attempt to compete directly with Apple.

For all we know they might come out with GP Editions of the Pixels haha but we will have to wait until the fourth to find anything out. And if the XL checks the boxes I want, I'll scoop it up for sure.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Although I am really excited for these devices to showcase, I am disappointed in the price. I mean, yes, it's a brand new flasghip so a bigger price tag is expected; but their specific price margin is too much.

I still haven't ruled out picking up a Nexus 6P and keeping that for two years.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
As far as the price, there were more expensive Nexus devices than affordable ones. The only that would be considered affordable would be the Nexus 4, 5, and 5x. All of the rest were $500+, including the Nexus 1 ($530 retail price). To be fair, IIRC they said that when they introduced the Nexus 4 (and 2012 N7) that they were only making low double digits in profit on each device. That's not a sustainable business model. Maybe they're simply tired of seeling their stuff slightly higher than cost. The Nexus 6 was $650 for the 32GB model and $700 for the 64GB model, and people went nuts. Why is it that Samsung can command those prices, but Google shouldn't? And the Pixel C was not a cheap device either. I think they're shooting for this to be a premium device, and from what we've seen out of the HTC 10, the build materials and quality is higher than the 6p.

I still plan on hanging onto my 6p for the time being, by I don't think they're that out of line here. I remember the original Droid Turbo was around $650 dollars for the 64GB model, and it was their flagship model, just like these are for Google. I'm not saying you have to buy it, I'm just saying I can understand them wanting to make some money on them for a change.

rahool360

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
i think it is the nexus 5 which created this idea that nexus shld be low cost phone that shld be competing with phones like one plus one!!!

Pirate Arr

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
As far as the price, there were more expensive Nexus devices than affordable ones. The only that would be considered affordable would be the Nexus 4, 5, and 5x. All of the rest were $500+, including the Nexus 1 ($530 retail price). To be fair, IIRC they said that when they introduced the Nexus 4 (and 2012 N7) that they were only making low double digits in profit on each device. That's not a sustainable business model. Maybe they're simply tired of seeling their stuff slightly higher than cost. The Nexus 6 was $650 for the 32GB model and $700 for the 64GB model, and people went nuts. Why is it that Samsung can command those prices, but Google shouldn't? And the Pixel C was not a cheap device either. I think they're shooting for this to be a premium device, and from what we've seen out of the HTC 10, the build materials and quality is higher than the 6p.

I still plan on hanging onto my 6p for the time being, by I don't think they're that out of line here. I remember the original Droid Turbo was around $650 dollars for the 64GB model, and it was their flagship model, just like these are for Google. I'm not saying you have to buy it, I'm just saying I can understand them wanting to make some money on them for a change.

I agree with you regarding Google should be able to command a premium price if they desire to BUT when it came to the Nexus 6, the display was mediocre, the camera was mediocre, they did not reach the superb premium of a Note or Galaxy. Maybe if Google kicks it out of the park would it be justifiable, but that's IF. Given how good the cameras on the 6P/5X are, I have no doubt the cameras on the Pixel devices will be good, but will it be Note/Galaxy good to justify the high Premium cost? How about the build quality? Will it rival Samsung, HTC (whose building the devices so let's hope) and Apple?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you regarding Google should be able to command a premium price if they desire to BUT when it came to the Nexus 6, the display was mediocre, the camera was mediocre, they did not reach the superb premium of a Note or Galaxy. Maybe if Google kicks it out of the park would it be justifiable, but that's IF. Given how good the cameras on the 6P/5X are, I have no doubt the cameras on the Pixel devices will be good, but will it be Note/Galaxy good to justify the high Premium cost? How about the build quality? Will it rival Samsung, HTC (whose building the devices so let's hope) and Apple?

Well, like you said, the camera should be fine (from what I've heard the module is the follow-up to the ones in the 5x/6p bit with OIS this time around). If they can get Samsung's current offering panels again this year, then that should cover that base. The only thing left is the build quality, and from what I've heard of the HTC 10 (which many believe these are similar to) then everything should be fine.

Now people will definitely make any should I buy this instead of a Samsung device? But if you look at what's ahead out this year, Samsung's issues couldn't have happened at a better time for Google to step up (and for LG to make up some ground as well with the V20). Some don't like the glass on the back of the Pixels, but the same thing was said about the visor on the 6p (I know I was one of them) but after we say the actual, non rendered, unblurry pics, everyone settled down. That may happen here, maybe not.

I'm wondering if Google will actually make devices like these a bit more like Apple's in terms of support, by which I mean supporting them for longer than the standard Android 2 years. Most OEMs only begrudgingly honor it if they do at all, so that would definitely set the Pixel line apart, and make them more even with Apple's offerings. And the things is, most people won't even need it as they'll probably upgrade ever 1-2 years, but most would also like to know that if they need to run it longer, they'll still be supported. Now these people I'm talking about are not the people on XDA or even here in these forums, but the everyday average smartphone buyer who probably have no idea what version of Android is on their phone and may even still have the wallpaper that was on the phone when they first powered it up. Those are the people Google should be going after, because there are more of them then there are of us, and most have no idea what a Nexus is. Google has already made their pitch to the Android enthusiasts, and we've either jumped on the train or picked another track. They could try to appeal to all Android users, but the only way to please everyone would he with a phone like Ara or make 10 different models with varying internals and in multiple sizes. I say that because listening to Android complaints about any phone that comes out, the wants of the userbase are all over the map. So best to lick a direction and stick with it.

But also if they can do things that really set Google's Pixels apart from other Android OEMs offerings (like say Andromeda or with Google Home), then that could be the key to the Pixel's success.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Well, like you said, the camera should be fine (from what I've heard the module is the follow-up to the ones in the 5x/6p bit with OIS this time around). If they can get Samsung's current offering panels again this year, then that should cover that base. The only thing left is the build quality, and from what I've heard of the HTC 10 (which many believe these are similar to) then everything should be fine.

Now people will definitely make any should I buy this instead of a Samsung device? But if you look at what's ahead out this year, Samsung's issues couldn't have happened at a better time for Google to step up (and for LG to make up some ground as well with the V20). Some don't like the glass on the back of the Pixels, but the same thing was said about the visor on the 6p (I know I was one of them) but after we say the actual, non rendered, unblurry pics, everyone settled down. That may happen here, maybe not.

I'm wondering if Google will actually make devices like these a bit more like Apple's in terms of support, by which I mean supporting them for longer than the standard Android 2 years. Most OEMs only begrudgingly honor it if they do at all, so that would definitely set the Pixel line apart, and make them more even with Apple's offerings. And the things is, most people won't even need it as they'll probably upgrade ever 1-2 years, but most would also like to know that if they need to run it longer, they'll still be supported. Now these people I'm talking about are not the people on XDA or even here in these forums, but the everyday average smartphone buyer who probably have no idea what version of Android is on their phone and may even still have the wallpaper that was on the phone when they first powered it up. Those are the people Google should be going after, because there are more of them then there are of us, and most have no idea what a Nexus is. Google has already made their pitch to the Android enthusiasts, and we've either jumped on the train or picked another track. They could try to appeal to all Android users, but the only way to please everyone would he with a phone like Ara or make 10 different models with varying internals and in multiple sizes. I say that because listening to Android complaints about any phone that comes out, the wants of the userbase are all over the map. So best to lick a direction and stick with it.

But also if they can do things that really set Google's Pixels apart from other Android OEMs offerings (like say Andromeda or with Google Home), then that could be the key to the Pixel's success.

I agree. As far as the brand is concerned only Apple has a stronger brand worth globally than Google. Every year they are in the top 3 in the world in that regard. They are also in the top two now market cap wise next to Apple and are sitting on billions of dollars. If they want to go head to head with Samsung it won't even be a contest. People are acting like Google is some fringe Chinese company nobody has heard of trying to sell phones. They have the cash, brand awareness and resources to make this happen. The question is whether it will be properly executed. But the 5X and 6P were trial balloons for this next step. For those who want to spend $500 or less on a phone there are plenty of options out there and Google isn't interested in the tech literate on sites like these or XDA. There is no money to be made by frugal tinkerers. They want to tap into the average tech ignorant consumer who like shiny things and just walk into a store and buy a Sammy or iPhone because they have been conditioned through billions of dollars in advertising to do so.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I would have purchased a pixel phone this year however they don't seem like much of an upgrade over the 6P, so there really is no reason to drop about $600+ on a phone. Maybe next year, when the XL is actually an XL phone.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I would have purchased a pixel phone this year however they don't seem like much of an upgrade over the 6P, so there really is no reason to drop about $600+ on a phone. Maybe next year, when the XL is actually an XL phone.

I don't think at this point it makes any sense to buy a new phone every year from an upgrade standpoint. The differences are too incremental. The 6P will age well. I am one of those frugal tinkerers and see the 6P as a better value proposition. I will probably pick up another one when it goes on sale when the Pixels are released for my wife.

LyricalNonsense

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
Who knows, maybe Google will release more then 2 phones, or maybe include some revolutionary new features that will justify the price. We won't know until October 4th

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if Google plans on continuing the Nexus series or this is the end of the road for those devices as we know it. Also if they cannot support the phone for more than two years (Nexus 5 - I am looking at you) then the fruit stand will continue to rake in the $$.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if Google plans on continuing the Nexus series or this is the end of the road for those devices as we know it. Also if they cannot support the phone for more than two years (Nexus 5 - I am looking at you) then the fruit stand will continue to rake in the $$.
Didn't Nexus 5 receive almost 4 years of support? It did come out in 2013 after all and now is 2016 and they ended support for it. Also, you cannot compare to Apple because they design their own HW as well as SW, which means that backwards compatibility is much easier to achieve. Android devices depend on 3rd party HW.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad