WIFI using battery when turned off?

JCHAOS

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Why does my wifi apparently use battery when it is disabled, and wifi assistant is turned off?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160928-101233.jpg
    Screenshot_20160928-101233.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 16

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Actually, that IS an indication of WiFi connectivity. Mine shows a broken bar there, I believe related to when I was traveling from home to work.

For the OP, go into your settings, go to location. Tap the overflow menu (3 dots top right corner)and tap scanning. You can disable WiFi scanning for location services there. This may improve your situation but might reduce the accuracy of your location information.

JCHAOS

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
The battery usage is just a projection based on recent usage. It won't know whether your wifi is currently on or off.

normally when I have wifi off, it will not show on that graph. I did just update to the September patch if that has anything to do with it.

JCHAOS

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Actually, that IS an indication of WiFi connectivity. Mine shows a broken bar there, I believe related to when I was traveling from home to work.

For the OP, go into your settings, go to location. Tap the overflow menu (3 dots top right corner)and tap scanning. You can disable WiFi scanning for location services there. This may improve your situation but might reduce the accuracy of your location information.

wifi scanning is already off as well.

auspilot

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I see the same thing. I have a Tasker profile that turns off WiFi when I'm out of the range of my home cell tower. But when I check the battery graph at the end of the day (when I've been out all day), it shows WiFi battery usage in the graph. Haven't been able to figure out why...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I see the same thing.
169d1da329b64476ad4571453c944926.jpg
It does work the way it's supposed to. I guess the issue is to find out why it's not working for you, and without playing 20 questions (Factory Reset? System cache wipe? etc) the answer isn't likely to be obvious.

JCHAOS

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I am confused. When I had wifi completely turned off along with assistant off, I get battery usage showing up, but when I have wifi and assistant on and searching, battery usage is showing ZERO!!! Not really complaining about battery, mine is rather great, just trying to understand how this device works and what the setting indications are trying to tell me.

Attachments

• screenshot 2-29-16.pdf
    92.9 KB · Views: 16
  • screenshot 2-30-16.pdf
    88.6 KB · Views: 17

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It would be helpful if you posted screenshots inline like everyone else. I can only get one of those files to open and frankly I don't trust attachments.