Nexus 6p vs pixel phones

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
OK so I have read all about the pixel phones and have determined that there's one difference that's substantial enough for me At least . The 6p has dual first speakers which sound amazing , and the pixel phones just have 1 singleton speaker just like every other phone out there. That sucks!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
OK so I have read all about the pixel phones and have determined that there's one difference that's substantial enough for me At least . The 6p has dual first speakers which sound amazing , and the pixel phones just have 1 singleton speaker just like every other phone out there. That sucks!
Having the dual speakers is a definite plus; however, I would wait to read reviews on the sound quality before making any assumptions about the quality.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Having the dual speakers is a definite plus; however, I would wait to read reviews on the sound quality before making any assumptions about the quality.
I suppose so however Im Just not keen on just a single firing speaker at all. That's my problem!

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Since the pixel is based on the HTC platform it's very possible the DAC in pixel devices is superior to 6P.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
My biggest gripe(s) with the pixel phone is screen size. Neither one are in my wheelhouse for usability. (5.7"+) lack of stereo speakers, which you would think they could have had with that gigantic chin that thing has. Lastly, the storage options are a real slap in the face. If your coming from a 64gb phone you either have to compromise for 32, and hope that's enough, or get screwed with 128 GB which would be way more than i would personally need.

I've been buying nexus phones since the galaxy nexus, and this is the first year I don't care what they have to offer. My credit cards/wallet are thanking me. I don't see this doing well, as Google does not have the pull that Apple has. Apple is more about lifestyle/brand. Google isn't going to have people lining up for days and dropping $1000+ on a phone every year, not for marginal upgrades. Android users aren't that stupid. What's to say in 11 months time when pixel 2 comes out they won't drop these like they did the nexus line?! The way Google handles services and products I wouldn't be surprised at all.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
My biggest gripe(s) with the pixel phone is screen size. Neither one are in my wheelhouse for usability. (5.7"+) lack of stereo speakers, which you would think they could have had with that gigantic chin that thing has. Lastly, the storage options are a real slap in the face. If your coming from a 64gb phone you either have to compromise for 32, and hope that's enough, or get screwed with 128 GB which would be way more than i would personally need.

I've been buying nexus phones since the galaxy nexus, and this is the first year I don't care what they have to offer. My credit cards/wallet are thanking me. I don't see this doing well, as Google does not have the pull that Apple has. Apple is more about lifestyle/brand. Google isn't going to have people lining up for days and dropping $1000+ on a phone every year, not for marginal upgrades. Android users aren't that stupid. What's to say in 11 months time when pixel 2 comes out they won't drop these like they did the nexus line?! The way Google handles services and products I wouldn't be surprised at all.

You hit it on the nail on the head. Apple and iPhones are about a certain lifestyle, and target a specific audience. Apple folks are not giving up iMessage and iTunes for Google's equivalents; especially iMessage. Nexus phones were targeted toward its own audience: good hardware at great prices. The Nexus 6P proved that. Yet, they've abandoned it after their most successful device. Like it or not, Apple and Samsung own the market. Google is way late to the party with these phones. Nothing Google does will sway those locked in customers.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
You hit it on the nail on the head. Apple and iPhones are about a certain lifestyle, and target a specific audience. Apple folks are not giving up iMessage and iTunes for Google's equivalents; especially iMessage. Nexus phones were targeted toward its own audience: good hardware at great prices. The Nexus 6P proved that. Yet, they've abandoned it after their most successful device. Like it or not, Apple and Samsung own the market. Google is way late to the party with these phones. Nothing Google does will sway those locked in customers.

I'll add 1 more thing to your post... Goggle is only going to po it's core customers with this change. The vast majority of people who have bought the Nexus phones is because of the price....mess around with that =fail.

NeilMex

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
At this point I really can't see myself owning anything other that a nexus/pixel phone, I just enjoy getting the latest software updates too much. Although I have the means to buy the new pixel i probably won't. I'm really enjoying my 6p, it's such a great phone. Up until now we've been spoiled with the low cost of the nexus line phones but it looks like that has come to an end. I feel bad for the loyal nexus followers who simply can't afford the pixel line and will have to look somewhere else for their next smartphone.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't really see too much of a difference honestly between the Pixel phones and the Nexus 6P..Obviously, it's mostly the re-branding however, the specs are identical, and the Pixel phones only one with a single firing speaker for music whereas our 6P's come with dual 3D Stereo speakers which sound incredible! I am running the Pixel launcher and I have my Google Now Cards Page. I mean the Google Assistant looks OK, but The Google Now Search works just as well. The camera on the 6P takes just as nice pictures, etc. as far as the feel, Both phones are made out of Aluminum, and Google Photos still gives Nexus 6P Owners unlimited storage. For now, I'm quite happy with my phone. I doubt Google will stop supporting the 6P software wise. It's not in their best interest to do so because it is still one of their phones which isn't very old at all.

Steve Daniel1

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
"...and Google Photos still gives Nexus 6P Owners unlimited storage."

Keep in mind, the 6P offers unlimited "Hi-Res" photos, while the Pixel XL offers unlimited "Original Format" photos. Big difference there.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm just not impressed enough to justify the price of the Pixel XL, still have a perfect running N6, but I would love to pick up a N6p before there gone. I'll hold out a little longer and see if the prices on the N6p drop a little.

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

Do yourself a favor and just hold on to that 6P for another year, it's good enough to do so. Your wallet will thank you, as will your pride. The Pixel phones are an absolute slap in the face to the loyal Nexus fans.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Do yourself a favor and just hold on to that 6P for another year, it's good enough to do so. Your wallet will thank you, as will your pride. The Pixel phones are an absolute slap in the face to the loyal Nexus fans.
Absolutely I couldn't agree with you more! I love my Nexus 6p or as I call the Google phone! Is everything I need to do and we'll get nougat 7.1 soon!

QWIKSTRIKE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Pulled the trigger on a 6P from the Google store for 449.00. No pixel for me until a size increase, and better screen nit wise. My Note 7 takes excellent pictures and I can view it out side in the day light.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Pulled the trigger on a 6P from the Google store for 449.00. No pixel for me until a size increase, and better screen nit wise. My Note 7 takes excellent pictures and I can view it out side in the day light.
I absolutely agree! Not even that between the pixel XL and the Google Nexus 6p, it's the screen size and like I said the 3D stereo dual speakers to me! I don't own a Bluetooth speaker because my old Nexus 6 and the new 6p both have amazing incredible loud speakers on them! And at the gym I use Bluetooth headphones. So for me the 5.7 inch screen is where I want to be and the speaker's sound great and all the other specs are identical!

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I don't really see too much of a difference honestly between the Pixel phones and the Nexus 6P..Obviously, it's mostly the re-branding however, the specs are identical, and the Pixel phones only one with a single firing speaker for music whereas our 6P's come with dual 3D Stereo speakers which sound incredible! I am running the Pixel launcher and I have my Google Now Cards Page. I mean the Google Assistant looks OK, but The Google Now Search works just as well. The camera on the 6P takes just as nice pictures, etc. as far as the feel, Both phones are made out of Aluminum, and Google Photos still gives Nexus 6P Owners unlimited storage. For now, I'm quite happy with my phone. I doubt Google will stop supporting the 6P software wise. It's not in their best interest to do so because it is still one of their phones which isn't very old at all.
I must add my agreement as well. I haven't posted on AC in many months, but I thought for sure that there would be a ton of threads about the comparison between the two, and pages and pages of people saying how much they prefer one phone over the other. I must say, I'm a little disappointed with my fellow 6p owners. Those that have posted on this thread all make excellent points about keeping the 6p or buying a 6p in lieu of the Pixel. There's an article on AC about why upgrading is worth it. Sorry, but I'm not sold, both literally and figuratively. The writer seemed to have issues with that particular phone and interestingly, the comments all seemed to confirm my thoughts that most, but admittedly not all, 6p owners are very satisfied with their phone and are NOT upgrading.

My 2 cents is that there is absolutely nothing in the Pixel to make me want to upgrade. I don't think this is going to be a hit, at all. As others have said, this is not the Apple "lifestyle" choice. The Nexus was a great phone at a great price. Not perfect, but the funny thing is that I thought the next Nexus....er.... Google phone would fix those minor imperfections. Would love expandable storage, or wireless charging, or waterproof, or shatterproof. Yet the Pixel has none of those. Yes it has a few nice features, but nothing to make me spend $800-$900. I can't say I've had zero problems but in one year, it has treated me pretty well. Let me give it another year at least (when the warranty runs out)
and maybe there will be a Google phone worth upgrading, when they've learned from their mistakes on the Pixel.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OK... I own a 6P and I am planning on keeping it for the time being, mostly because I don't want to bother with the hassle of ordering the Pixel, waiting for it to finally ship, deal with selling my 6P... Not a big deal, just not feeling it since my 6P is running great and I have zero reason to replace it. So the pragmatist in me is winning at the moment.

That being said...

Had I not had either phone, and I was looking at a Pixel XL or a 6P for roughly half the price, I would pick the Pixel without hesitation. The only thing the 6P has that is objectively better than the Pixel is the front facing speakers. The Pixel is quicker, faster, more efficient, will be supported longer (obviously), a camera that takes the 6P's weaknesses and turns them into strengths. Across the board is an upgrade.

As for price... this isn't a Nexus. This isn't priced as a Nexus. The Pixels are both priced precisely in line with the other phones in its class. Yes, they are expensive, but so are the iPhones, the S7s, V20s, HTC 10s, etc. Expensive phones are expensive. From the reviews and thoughts of those I know that have one, Google obviously spend a great deal of effort getting the phone running like a finely tuned machine. There's a lot of time, money and effort both on getting the top shelf hardware as well as the R&D on the software. So people need to put aside the "But Nexus" arguments because that's a different time.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
As a general rule it doesn't make sense to upgrade on a yearly basis so even if the Pixel had been priced the same as the Nexus, instead of $300 more, and if it had the same speakers as the 6P (which it doesn't), and the same size screen, instead of a 5.5" screen, I wouldn't be considering an upgrade ust to get a CPU which is 30% faster than the one we have now. At two years a phone starts to wear out, particularly the battery, so it make sense to replace it. The other consideration is OS updates. The 6P is going to get Oreo so if I wasn't someone who likes betas it would make sense to wait for the 2018 phone before before doing an upgrade (assuming that nothing has gone wrong before then), but I'm a beta guy so I'll upgrade to the 2017 phone when it comes out so that I can get Peppermint Pattie when the betas start in the spring of 2018.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
OK... I own a 6P and I am planning on keeping it for the time being, mostly because I don't want to bother with the hassle of ordering the Pixel, waiting for it to finally ship, deal with selling my 6P... Not a big deal, just not feeling it since my 6P is running great and I have zero reason to replace it. So the pragmatist in me is winning at the moment.

That being said...

Had I not had either phone, and I was looking at a Pixel XL or a 6P for roughly half the price, I would pick the Pixel without hesitation. The only thing the 6P has that is objectively better than the Pixel is the front facing speakers. The Pixel is quicker, faster, more efficient, will be supported longer (obviously), a camera that takes the 6P's weaknesses and turns them into strengths. Across the board is an upgrade.

As for price... this isn't a Nexus. This isn't priced as a Nexus. The Pixels are both priced precisely in line with the other phones in its class. Yes, they are expensive, but so are the iPhones, the S7s, V20s, HTC 10s, etc. Expensive phones are expensive. From the reviews and thoughts of those I know that have one, Google obviously spend a great deal of effort getting the phone running like a finely tuned machine. There's a lot of time, money and effort both on getting the top shelf hardware as well as the R&D on the software. So people need to put aside the "But Nexus" arguments because that's a different time.
Those may not be be a big deal to you but lack of dual speakers and smaller screen size are frequently mentioned criticisms in these comparison threads and I completely agree with them.

Johnnyboy5

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I love my 6P, but I would upgrade to the Pixel XL in a second if it wasn't for the price. I am one of many, many 6P owners who has had non-stop bluetooth issues with this phone (and yes, I have tried everything including a factory reset). Some days I want to throw it out the car window (after it loses its connection, again), despite being excellent in most other respects. Also the battery life has been just ok, but has already degraded materially since I got it a year ago. So is the 6P great for me, yes except for one major issue, which may be fatal. Finally, the 6P is just a tad larger for me than I would like and I think the Pixel XL could be a sweet spot in terms of size. All highly personal views obviously, but just wanted to remind people that many of us are not regarding the 6P as the perfect device its being portrayed as in some posts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol