New Pixel camera APK

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

Yeah... I'll stick with the existing Google camera app. It doesn't sound like there are any dramatic improvements.

I made the choice (mistake?) to install the Pixel phone app which I actually like but that app is available in the Play store. The Camera app does not appear in the Play store.

nnthemperor

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah... I'll stick with the existing Google camera app. It doesn't sound like there are any dramatic improvements.

I made the choice (mistake?) to install the Pixel phone app which I actually like but that app is available in the Play store. The Camera app does not appear in the Play store.
I don't think the pixel phone app is in the play store, it's just a third party app with the same name

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the pixel phone app is in the play store, it's just a third party app with the same name

I think you misunderstood (or I wasn't clear). I mean the original, non-Pixel phone app is in the Play store so if I wanted to roll back to it, I could. Whereas, I can't do that with this Pixel camera app. But - it's being said that you can have both on your phone.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I think you misunderstood (or I wasn't clear). I mean the original, non-Pixel phone app is in the Play store so if I wanted to roll back to it, I could. Whereas, I can't do that with this Pixel camera app. But - it's being said that you can have both on your phone.

I don't think that you understand.. There isn't any need to roll back.. You have both cameras available to you not just 1 with this apk.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Oh, the Pixel version of the Google Camera IS in the Play Store, you just will only be able to see it if you have a Pixel... :)

How this exists is that some enterprising soul snatched the leaked APK, ripped it open and fussed with the internals so that the application will work on 7.0's API level... it might only have worked with 7.1's. So they did some surgery, re-packed it using a different app name (it has 'MOD' tacked on the end) so it can be installed alongside the main Google Camera.

I suspect we'll see an official 4.2 app posted to Google Play at some point in the future... maybe soon, maybe not until we get the 7.1 previews

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh, the Pixel version of the Google Camera IS in the Play Store, you just will only be able to see it if you have a Pixel... :)

How this exists is that some enterprising soul snatched the leaked APK, ripped it open and fussed with the internals so that the application will work on 7.0's API level... it might only have worked with 7.1's. So they did some surgery, re-packed it using a different app name (it has 'MOD' tacked on the end) so it can be installed alongside the main Google Camera.

I suspect we'll see an official 4.2 app posted to Google Play at some point in the future... maybe soon, maybe not until we get the 7.1 previews
The Pixel APK was ripped from the system dump and it does only work on 7.1 and up. So it was then modified (ported) to work on other devices.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The XDA link worked but the downloaded file tried to open as a document.
Not sure what to tell you - this is how the file should show up in the Downloads app
b27c1bd852e57b1c5165be87114f5982.jpg

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I went ahead and downloaded it and I am having a different problem. It goes ahead with the package installer and asks me if I want to install it. I have two options "Install" and "Cancel" (normal). When I press "Install", it does nothing. However, it lets me cancel. Very odd. Are you sure I can have this on the phone with the original Camera app?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Cancel that. In case anyone else runs into the inability to press the INSTALL button... you have to disable any app that has a screen overlay - usually apps that adjust screen brightness/tint at night.

Installed. All good. Thanks all!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar