horrible battery life...HELP!

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I used to get 2.5 hrs sot from my 6p with the screen at full brightness all day. Now I'm lucky to get an hour.

The most battery killing "apps" is Android. Wtf. Anyone know how to fix this??? I still have a month to wait on my day one preordered pixel xl.

Attachments

• 12550.jpg
    12550.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 165

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
What build are you running?
If it hasn't always been this way, what changed when things went south?
How is your cellular signal (you didn't include the History details screen, so we can't tell if that's part of your problem)?

Have you tried using something like GSam Battery Monitor Pro https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro&token=Mu4KUn3V (there's also a free version) to track what's going on?

May 3, 2015
Visit site
What build are you running?
If it hasn't always been this way, what changed when things went south?
How is your cellular signal (you didn't include the History details screen, so we can't tell if that's part of your problem)?

Have you tried using something like GSam Battery Monitor Pro https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro&token=2i-ZozwF (there's also a free version) to track what's going on?

Running 7.0. After the update I did a wipe and clean install, hoping that would fix it. It's been bad since the m update before n. No root.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you've had battery issues since Marshmallow then you either have a hardware problem or one or more apps are causing your problems.

Simplest way to determine the above is to fully charge the phone, reboot into Safe mode, then disconnect the charger and let it sit overnight (do this just before going to bed). After 8 hours or so the device should only have dropped ~4% (unless you have a horrible cellular signal - that'll kill the battery like nobody's business).

The easiest way to get an idea about your cellular signal is to look in the History details screen (Settings -> Battery -> touch the graph)
ac78dfc33fd8d4d44533c24a0098309e.jpg

May 3, 2015
Visit site
If you've had battery issues since Marshmallow then you either have a hardware problem or one or more apps are causing your problems.

Simplest way to determine the above is to fully charge the phone, reboot into Safe mode, then disconnect the charger and let it sit overnight (do this just before going to bed). After 8 hours or so the device should only have dropped ~4% (unless you have a horrible cellular signal - that'll kill the battery like nobody's business).

The easiest way to get an idea about your cellular signal is to look in the History details screen (Settings -> Battery -> touch the graph)//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161026/ac78dfc33fd8d4d44533c24a0098309e.jpg

I seem to have good doze life. It's when in use.that it drops REALLY fast. I can get about 15 hours with 1 hr sot.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Do you really need it at full brightness all the time? I adjust my screen brightness on the fly and average somewhere around 3.5 hours SOT between charges. YMMV.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Do you really need it at full brightness all the time? I adjust my screen brightness on the fly and average somewhere around 3.5 hours SOT between charges. YMMV.

I said it was full brightness when I first got it. Now it's about 25% all the time and I get about 1 to 1.5 hours.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, let's start at the beginning. Fully charge the phone, do whatever you normally do, then when it gets to ~20% remaining (no intermediate charge cycles) get a screenshot of the Battery History details and the Screen Use details. Be prepared to say if you had Bluetooth on (the whole time, half the time); if you use apps like Facebook (a known battery killer); if you were using graphics intensive apps (games, Google Maps, etc). Then we might get somewhere.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
So, I disabled Bluetooth and location services and my battery life is back to where it was when I first got the phone a year ago. Meaning nougat is broken. I never disabled anything before.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
So, I disabled Bluetooth and location services and my battery life is back to where it was when I first got the phone a year ago. Meaning nougat is broken.
I can't agree with your assessment - I never turn location services off (need it for Google Rewards) and I've tested with Bluetooth on for the whole discharge cycle before (I don't normally leave it on since I seldom use it, but I was trying to gather some data for other forum users) and seen no quantifiable difference in battery life. YMMV.

Ev C

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I can't agree with your assessment - I never turn location services off (need it for Google Rewards) and I've tested with Bluetooth on for the whole discharge cycle before (I don't normally leave it on since I seldom use it, but I was trying to gather some data for other forum users) and seen no quantifiable difference in battery life. YMMV.
I have owned my 6p for 3 weeks and have excellent battery life. However, I have the only time I used Bluetooth was to stream google play music on a one hour trip in the car. My battery dropped from 94% to 69% in just one hour just listening to a playlist with the screen off. Haven't used Bluetooth since to verify because I mostly use my work iPhone on bluetooth when driving. Thought nearly 25% was excessive drain though.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
the only time I used Bluetooth was to stream google play music on a one hour trip in the car. My battery dropped from 94% to 69% in just one hour just listening to a playlist with the screen off.
I didn't say anything about being connected to a device - I said I had Bluetooth enabled for a whole discharge cycle.

I did also test with Bluetooth enabled AND connected to a device (not streaming, just connected) but that was only for a few hours, and I didn't notice a substantial drop in battery during that time.

If you were using mobile data and streaming audio I'd expect a noticeable change in battery, but I can't comment on the amount of drop that you saw, or whether it was attributable to Bluetooth. Have you tried the same thing using the built-in speakers? Can you reproduce that scenario?

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
MIne drops like crazy, with Bluetooth enabled, and some minor "chatter" with my desktop PC (it's only set up for Contacts sharing).

If I have it on, and no other Bluetooth connection, it seems to be close to a normal battery discharge curve, at least for the month or so I had my 6P on MM.
For that month though, I also had Bluetooth constantly on, and connected to my PC (and a MYNT finder device, which I've since totally disabled, LE BT devices seem to REALLY kill the battery fast) the same as it is now.
I now just leave BT off, unless I'm using it, and have installed a "battery saver toggle" app, which is pretty nifty, takes just a second or two to re-enable, and my battery life really lasts, with this, when I'm not not using it.

I'm hoping that 7.1 RTM will be better, I'll be able to go back to just leaving BT on, always, and maybe even start using my MYNT-LE device again...

Hmm, I re-read, and thought maybe something else to illustrate would help:
MM Bluetooth always on, connected: great battery life, even with LE device
Nougat BT always on, connected: horrible battery life, abysmal with LE device
Nougat BT always on, not connected : battery life close to MM
Nougat BT mostly off, except when using: battery life the same as MM

May 3, 2015
Visit site
MIne drops like crazy, with Bluetooth enabled, and some minor "chatter" with my desktop PC (it's only set up for Contacts sharing).

If I have it on, and no other Bluetooth connection, it seems to be close to a normal battery discharge curve, at least for the month or so I had my 6P on MM.
For that month though, I also had Bluetooth constantly on, and connected to my PC (and a MYNT finder device, which I've since totally disabled, LE BT devices seem to REALLY kill the battery fast) the same as it is now.
I now just leave BT off, unless I'm using it, and have installed a "battery saver toggle" app, which is pretty nifty, takes just a second or two to re-enable, and my battery life really lasts, with this, when I'm not not using it.

I'm hoping that 7.1 RTM will be better, I'll be able to go back to just leaving BT on, always, and maybe even start using my MYNT-LE device again...

Hmm, I re-read, and thought maybe something else to illustrate would help:
MM Bluetooth always on, connected: great battery life, even with LE device
Nougat BT always on, connected: horrible battery life, abysmal with LE device
Nougat BT always on, not connected : battery life close to MM
Nougat BT mostly off, except when using: battery life the same as MM

Yeah, and I use Android wear. So it has to be always on. My pixel xl is in the mail and should be here tomorrow...so it won't matter anymore.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad